LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yes my name is Holden
665 Posts
Greetings Ron & Guys; Ah 1.8's, well Rich C. influenced me as I didn't want to do a cam. But then I also was staying N/A. You should look into Rich's adventures as he went with a Supper charger. If ya do 1.8's some of the spring info will be related to 1.7 & may not be apples to apples. In other words you may need more spring. Comp ended up warranting mine. But their were other changes that related to inertia (spell ck). I can't say enough Good about Comp, the tech was good & service was Great. Anyway the 1.8's work Very well for me. Rich's build is on this site some where as is mine if your curious, Ole' bob.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I vote for the cam. Back when I was using my stock pulley MP112 equipped 2006 A4 as a 70 mile a day daily driver I changed the cam to a mild Comp 218/224 115 LSA +1 with .600 lift hoping that it still pass the CA sniffer smog test. Of course I also changed the valve springs. I never ended having to smog it again as I was able to register it in a non smog county in CA so I could have done a bit larger cam but I was actually happy with the fact that it pulled harder pretty much everywhere both in and out of boost at both full and part throttle.

My comparison wasn’t apples to apples though unfortunately as I did a change of pulleys on the MP112 at the same time. I had hubs made for the front and back pulleys to allow the use of bolt on pulleys so I could change them easier in the future. I did the rears with a 1.06 overdrive ratio that I could switch to .94 under drive if I wanted and then went with a 3.0 in the front for better belt wrap.
if I had to do it over I probably would have just added the 10% larger Innovators West front pulley but I didnt want to run my accessories faster with the miles I was driving and I thought belt slip might be an issue with the original 2.8” pulley. I picked up 50hp going from 442 rwhp to 495. It also had 1 3/4 Dynatech long tubes and high flow cats.

With my current M6 2006 I kept the stock supercharger pulleys and simply installed the Innovators West overdrive crank pulley. It was right at 500 rwhp with 1 7/8 Kooks and no cats. I am getting ready
install a Tick Stage 1 blower cam with 223/239 115+6 with .615/.612 lift Along with valve springs.

This is the rear pulley setup I had made before I sold that MP112, it’s on a guys GTO somewhere in Germany now.

Crankset Handwriting Bicycle part Auto part Rim

Reactions: Ronin Concealment

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I vote for the cam. Back when I was using my stock pulley MP112 equipped 2006 A4 as a 70 mile a day daily driver I changed the cam to a mild Comp 218/224 115 LSA +1 with .600 lift hoping that it still pass the CA sniffer smog test. Of course I also changed the valve springs. I never ended having to smog it again as I was able to register it in a non smog county in CA so I could have done a bit larger cam but I was actually happy with the fact that it pulled harder pretty much everywhere both in and out of boost at both full and part throttle.

My comparison wasn’t apples to apples though unfortunately as I did a change of pulleys on the MP112 at the same time. I had hubs made for the front and back pulleys to allow the use of bolt on pulleys so I could change them easier in the future. I did the rears with a 1.06 overdrive ratio that I could switch to .94 under drive if I wanted and then went with a 3.0 in the front for better belt wrap.
if I had to do it over I probably would have just added the 10% larger Innovators West front pulley but I didnt want to run my accessories faster with the miles I was driving and I thought belt slip might be an issue with the original 2.8” pulley. I picked up 50hp going from 442 rwhp to 495. It also had 1 3/4 Dynatech long tubes and high flow cats.

With my current M6 2006 I kept the stock supercharger pulleys and simply installed the Innovators West overdrive crank pulley. It was right at 500 rwhp with 1 7/8 Kooks and no cats. I am getting ready
install a Tick Stage 1 blower cam with 223/239 115+6 with .615/.612 lift Along with valve springs.

This is the rear pulley setup I had made before I sold that MP112, it’s on a guys GTO somewhere in Germany now.

View attachment 516658
I contacted comp to see what they recommend

·
GR-RRR!
7,873 Posts
When I did 1.8 rockers and valve springs I was pretty much full bolt ons NA. I didn't see a huge jump in power but I did see an improvement of off the line power and torque and it improved the power curve through the entire RPM range which can't always be said of a cam change. I left the rockers and springs in there after the blower so I don't really know if they would have improved over 1.7s with a blower.

While 1.8 rockers don't improve power a lot on paper you CAN feel it in the way it drives AND they do lessen valve train friction if you go with roller tip rockers. The Comp Pro Magnum rockers I used are steel so you don't have to worry about metal fatigue like can happen with aluminum rockers and the weight at the tip is barely more than stock rockers and the trunions are huge and set up in such a way that they will never spit roller bearings into the engine like stock rockers can.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I did 1.8 rockers and valve springs I was pretty much full bolt ons NA. I didn't see a huge jump in power but I did see an improvement of off the line power and torque and it improved the power curve through the entire RPM range which can't always be said of a cam change. I left the rockers and springs in there after the blower so I don't really know if they would have improved over 1.7s with a blower.

While 1.8 rockers don't improve power a lot on paper you CAN feel it in the way it drives AND they do lessen valve train friction if you go with roller tip rockers. The Comp Pro Magnum rockers I used are steel so you don't have to worry about metal fatigue like can happen with aluminum rockers and the weight at the tip is barely more than stock rockers and the trunions are huge and set up in such a way that they will never spit roller bearings into the engine like stock rockers can.

Thanks for the help I'm heading to those threads you posted to do some reading

1 - 12 of 12 Posts