LS1GTO Forums banner

Mild cam

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  G's04 
#1 ·
I'd like to install a cam in my normally aspirated LS1, can someone out here in GOATLand give me a few pointers as to which numbers I'm seeking out I have no idea what "lift", duration and all those other numbers mean, my cam tech knowledge is rather limited. It's a street car but I do get in some time at Cecil county Dragway and the few times I've gotten seat time the results were abysmal. I was told a mild cam & a custom tune along with the headers I already have installed my numbers should get better. I was going to purchase one from a gentleman on here but it was just to radical for the street. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

#2 ·
I assume you want to keep it a daily driver? Also, is it a manual or automatic? What gear ratio? These are just a few of the questions you need to answer. Others....do you plan to get into the heads down the road, how about an intake manifold, will you be considering some kind of forced induction? Here is an old rule of thumb, keep the duration at 0.050" below 220 and you will have a very streetable daily driver motor with much more mid-range and somewhat better high rpm power. Little to no jerking or bogging if you sometimes lug the motor. As far as lift goes, for a primarily street driven car you want to avoid dual valve springs. They bring higher seat pressures that wear out valve train components. Keeping lift under 0.570" allows you to stay with upgraded single springs. I would also recommend a lobe separation angle of around 114 degrees. Now for the bad news.....pretty much everybody that responds to your post will have a different recommendation. My signature shows what I've got in my car.

#5 ·
Here are my cam specs, Cam - 224@.050, Lift .568", LSA 114 . I have a heads/cam/Fast 102, 3200 stall, but perfect for road car and few visits to the track.

#11 ·
Call up ANY cam vendor, and they will tell you cam profiles fit your intended usage. They can also sell you springs, pushrods, timing chains, and oil pumps for your install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.