LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean literally, I was keeping an eye on the HP Tuner log session I had working on the laptop, and look up to see a black newer M3 at the light beside me. When the light changes I ease out and he doesn't jump, so I shift to second at about 4K RPM. Then he jumps... got his car door up beside my nose before I could react. I stomp it and stick with him... literally staying exactly the same distance, staring at his right rear tire. Finally start to crawl up on him in 3rd, and he gets out of it. I was pretty happy with it, as the standard tranny M3s are mid-low 13 second cars (at the next light he sat there, no brake lights on, so it wasn't an auto), and I could pull on him toward the top end.

Now I am back to tweaking that log file, maybe next time I'll have that little bit needed to pull em sooner.
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Was it the E46 or E36 M3. Telling from how strong it was it most likely was a E46 with 333hp. Nice run. These cars are pretty darn close in straight line and would be a nice race. Of course, drivers would come in to play with such close cars. Most of the GTO drivers are usually CAR guys and have more knowledge on street/track racing where as the M3 drivers are usually YUPS that like the status and like the BMW heritage. You will find a few bimmer drivers that like to tango hard. It seems like you found one!

Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Was it the E46 or E36 M3. Telling from how strong it was it most likely was a E46 with 333hp. Nice run. These cars are pretty darn close in straight line and would be a nice race. Of course, drivers would come in to play with such close cars. Most of the GTO drivers are usually CAR guys and have more knowledge on street/track racing where as the M3 drivers are usually YUPS that like the status and like the BMW heritage. You will find a few bimmer drivers that like to tango hard. It seems like you found one!

Doc
Yeah, while racing around the local track I passed an M3 a couple of times. He didn't seem to be taking full advantage of his car. Of course neither was I as the instructor in the passenger seat kept me on a leash. He was great as I was coming up on the M3 he would say okay now take this turn a little higher and when you come out of it lets pass him!!!
:drink::drink:
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
E46 M3s don't come auto, they come 6-spd manual or 6-spd SMGII, which is a clutchless computer controlled manual. He could just as easily have had one or the other and externally you would not have been able to tell as you still have to take the SMGII down to manual (whether you're controlling it or the computer is doesn't change the fact that it is mechanically not an automatic transmission like say the 4L60E in a GTO is).

Good run by the way. Now try a new M5 and let us know how it goes.
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Tails said:
Yeah, while racing around the local track I passed an M3 a couple of times. He didn't seem to be taking full advantage of his car. Of course neither was I as the instructor in the passenger seat kept me on a leash. He was great as I was coming up on the M3 he would say okay now take this turn a little higher and when you come out of it lets pass him!!!
:drink::drink:
Yep. Of all the driving schools I have instructed for I have had one bad-a$$ M3 driver that would take it to the limit. All the others would almost put me to sleep. One step worse are the owners of new 911/996s. These guys will not even turn the ASC/TC off. They are to chicken #$%# to drive without it.
The owners that have 70s-early80s 911s will drive em like they stole um though!

Doc
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was an E46, and appeared to have exhaust. Nice cars, I came real close to getting an '02 or '03 rather than the GTO. So I am happy with the results, and the long tubes and CAI just paid for themselves with my satisfaction. I even managed to hit the rev limiter in 2nd and still kept up.

Now I am jonesing for a cam though... and heads... heh
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
There was an M3 at "Pontiacs In The Park" that was picking on our '04 GTOs. He beat me by a tenth or two (twice... I have the timeslips... will give you the exact numbers when I get home.)

Anyway, although that M3 had success at the track, I played with another one down Main Street one day and he could not get away. His only comment was, "Yeah, that thing's pretty fast." :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Yeah I had a E46 M3 try to give me a run in my truck the other day, lets just say that he was probably wondering how some big ass truck just pulled on him all the way to 110 :)




Doc GTO said:
Yep. One step worse are the owners of new 911/996s. These guys will not even turn the ASC/TC off. They are to chicken #$%# to drive without it.
The owners that have 70s-early80s 911s will drive em like they stole um though!

Doc
I agree with you about both things there. but Id have to say my dad is an exception. He may mind his own business, but if someone comes up to him and wants a piece of his 996TT, he wont let them down :)
 

·
NFC Champs
Joined
·
883 Posts
phobos512 said:
Good run by the way. Now try a new M5 and let us know how it goes.
Heh, I don't think you guys would wanna know the result ;)

E46 M3's are awesome cars, I think - two freshmen here at school came with them this year, a blue vert and a black coupe. The kid with the blue vert really will get on it sometimes, and I'm amazed at how nice that straight six sounds as the RPMs climb higher. They sound kinda crappy at low rpms, but when he makes it sing, I'm just sitting there drooling.
 

·
Torque is King!
Joined
·
702 Posts
M3 Can not pull on GTO

On the highway today heading home on I-81 just before Wilkes-Barre. Had a nice line of cars going. I was leading the pack. In the pack was a 330ci. A new black M3, and a honda prelude. It all started when the 330ci guy whizzed past me at about 95. I was cruising at 80 minding my own business. I decide to follow this BMW nerd at his speed. Well this action caught the of the Prelude driver and the M3 driver. The highway opened up and the 330ci guy got on his gas. He took his lil ride up to about 110. I saw him do this and dropped the GTO in 4th and gunned it. Needless to say pulled on him real fast and passed him going about 130, as i shifted into 5th. I started to slow down and then the M3 guy came flyin by me as I was on my way down to 100. Another downshift into 4th and I got right up on the M3. Needless to say the Prelude was long gone at this point. I followed the M3 for a few miles and then the highway opened back up. From about 80 he gunned his M3 and i took chase and did the same. Was a dead heat all the way to 120. He couldnt gain anything on me. I love the way the GTO pulls in 4th!! The guy in the M3 gave me the fists up on the air "Rock on Man" salute. And i did the same back to him. As we both respected each others rides.
 

·
No Problemo
Joined
·
731 Posts
The E46 M3s are very nice machines. Something I dont like about them is they're pretty high strung from the factory. Aftermarket for them is limited and expensive at that. 10 grand for a turbo kit? :wowzers:
 

·
Torque is King!
Joined
·
702 Posts
It does make me feel proud, makes me feel even better that I saved 25k to be just as fast. Throw 25k at the GTO, see what you get. Although the M3 is better for picking up them high strung yuppie chicks, but i heard they dont put out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
redgtocruiser said:
It does make me feel proud, makes me feel even better that I saved 25k to be just as fast. Throw 25k at the GTO, see what you get. Although the M3 is better for picking up them high strung yuppie chicks, but i heard they dont put out.
you guys are just too much....you drive a pontiac, 1/4 mile/0-60,do you think most people really care? you still drive an ugly pontiac :barf:
dont even try to compare a pure track car made for the street to your down syndrome australian creation.

your 50 cent interior needs about 25k of upgrading.

ta ta

troll
signing off
 

·
Like a Rock
Joined
·
386 Posts
TTBoy said:
you guys are just too much....you drive a pontiac, 1/4 mile/0-60,do you think most people really care? you still drive an ugly pontiac :barf:
dont even try to compare a pure track car made for the street to your down syndrome australian creation.

your 50 cent interior needs about 25k of upgrading.

ta ta

troll
signing off
what's a nice young boy like you doing home alone on a Friday night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
TTBoy said:
you guys are just too much....you drive a pontiac, 1/4 mile/0-60,do you think most people really care? you still drive an ugly pontiac :barf:
dont even try to compare a pure track car made for the street to your down syndrome australian creation.

your 50 cent interior needs about 25k of upgrading.

ta ta

troll
signing off
I like the PPontiac better than the TTurtle Audi, but wwho ccares, I only
sstutter when I ttype. :p
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top