LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the hell did Pontiac not include the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges like they have on the Holden Monaros and HSV cars?

I am really starting to miss the oil pressure meter. I had my oil changed to Mobil 1 the other day and I was proudly showing off my car. When my tech asked me to start the car after the fill up and then inquired " How's the oil pressure?" it was pretty embarassing to tell him that I didn't have one.

WTF????

Even my cheap POS 94 Camaro and 02 Avalanche have oil pressure gauges. Standard.

You have a muscle car that will beat 98-99% of cars out there and it doesn't have one? I mean how much do these things add to the total cost of the instrument cluster? 100 bucks? Thanks Pontiac for going cheapo again. I wish the 05 goats would have a revised instrument cluster layout to include these 2 things so I can just buy one and do a swap. I replaced my stock Avalanche cluster to the Escalade EXT version and it took me like 5 minutes to install.

Maybe they don't want us to know how much oil pressure we have when the GTO is running at 110 mph....probably next to nothing.

:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

I wish those gauge pod guys would come up with an aftermarket already!!!!!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
The problem is being worked on. It's taking a little longer than it was supposed to but gauge pods will be coming soon. Search the forums, the truth is out there (TM).

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Typical Pontiac. Anything other than an F body pretty much doesnt get the full gauge package. GTP was the same way. My solution was a pillar pod with the requisite gauges in it.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Yep - the center mount 2 gage pod w/ oil pressure and true water temp is definitely on my mod list.
Dan

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
desertgoat said:
Why the hell did Pontiac not include the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges like they have on the Holden Monaros and HSV cars?

I am really starting to miss the oil pressure meter. I had my oil changed to Mobil 1 the other day and I was proudly showing off my car. When my tech asked me to start the car after the fill up and then inquired " How's the oil pressure?" it was pretty embarassing to tell him that I didn't have one.

WTF????

Even my cheap POS 94 Camaro and 02 Avalanche have oil pressure gauges. Standard.

You have a muscle car that will beat 98-99% of cars out there and it doesn't have one? I mean how much do these things add to the total cost of the instrument cluster? 100 bucks? Thanks Pontiac for going cheapo again. I wish the 05 goats would have a revised instrument cluster layout to include these 2 things so I can just buy one and do a swap. I replaced my stock Avalanche cluster to the Escalade EXT version and it took me like 5 minutes to install.

Maybe they don't want us to know how much oil pressure we have when the GTO is running at 110 mph....probably next to nothing.

:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

I wish those gauge pod guys would come up with an aftermarket already!!!!!
do you feel better now? :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I want an oil temp gauge. I can get most other stuff from the PC.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
desertgoat said:

Closer to the truth than you might want to know... :( There is a reason Pontiac will give you grief if you race the car, and also tell you to add a quart over full if you do. In hard cornering, on skidpads (or maybe doing donuts?) beyond 45 seconds combined with windage effects, the pickup may flat run out of oil. Early LS-1's grenaded when subjected to this. I'm ASSUMING the same issue could be caused by prolonged high RPM. There are zero Stock or Aftermarket windage baffles for this engine right now, and no tested 'on this car' oil accumulator system kits out there yet.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
They had to change the way the oil system worked for the RMR Drift GTO to maintain pressure so I bet this idea of them not wanting you to know isn't far off.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rhys Millen admitted that they grenaded their first LS1 motor drifting. They deviced an oil sump and I think they added 3 more quarts to the total.

GTO owners: there is no oil pressure gauge because innocence is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you.

LOLOLOL :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
desertgoat said:
Rhys Millen admitted that they grenaded their first LS1 motor drifting. They deviced an oil sump and I think they added 3 more quarts to the total.

GTO owners: there is no oil pressure gauge because innocence is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Ignorance is bliss. I don't think any of us have anything resembling innocence left. :)

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speak for yourself.

I'm innocent. Just ask my lawyers.

LOLOL..Thanks for the correction. I meant to say"ignorance"..

·
3,327 Posts
Total Agreement

...On the first issue. I HATE the fact that my car does not have an Oil pressure gage. Isn't Oil the lifeblood of the engine? I can tell when my blood pressure is low, but I can't for my car. Oil pressure gage is the next "first on the market aftermarket" mod I will be putting on. No waiting to feel out the competition on that one. Well, maybe.

:D Wish LS1 speed or the other sponsors would listen to this and develop a pod like the HSV unit, oriented to our direction. I want color matched gages too.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Old Goat said:
Closer to the truth than you might want to know... :( There is a reason Pontiac will give you grief if you race the car, and also tell you to add a quart over full if you do. In hard cornering, on skidpads (or maybe doing donuts?) beyond 45 seconds combined with windage effects, the pickup may flat run out of oil. Early LS-1's grenaded when subjected to this. I'm ASSUMING the same issue could be caused by prolonged high RPM. There are zero Stock or Aftermarket windage baffles for this engine right now, and no tested 'on this car' oil accumulator system kits out there yet.
I'm not going to disagree that there wasn't problem with these oil reservoir but I'm pretty sure the oil light will come one, maybe even a beep or two!

An oil gage is a great tool to have (and I do want one) but given the choice between gage or light/bell, I'll take the light/bell. When racing the last thing I'm looking at is the gage. I need a visual and audible alarm to get my attention.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
DFWGTO said:
MisterMike what are you using to get this info from the PC? LS1Edit? or something else...
I'm using EFILive.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
desertgoat said:

They're using an Accusump, which is a pneumatic cylinder that maintains oil pressure under extreme conditions. Additionally, if you get the little electric valve gizmo, it will pre charge the engine with oil before you crank it, reducing engine wear on startup. It's on my short list.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
They're using an Accusump, which is a pneumatic cylinder that maintains oil pressure under extreme conditions. Additionally, if you get the little electric valve gizmo, it will pre charge the engine with oil before you crank it, reducing engine wear on startup. It's on my short list.
Ok so an Accusump. Cool. Found their website on Google. Now, do we know which model they are using? I'm assuming the high pressure 3-qt. version. What one had you been looking at?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I hadn't decided on size yet. I wanted to do a little measuring around first. Some oil accumulators are merely bottles and must be vertical. I believe the Accusump uses a bladder or diaphragm to segregate the oil and compressed air, allowing horizontal mounting. (strap it to strut brace?) Concurrently, I plan to relocate the oil filter. This kills 2 birds with one stone, as the hose to the remote filter is an excellent spot to insert the Accusump. All you need is a check valve and a T fitting.

·
Registered
881 Posts
mistermike said:
I hadn't decided on size yet. I wanted to do a little measuring around first. Some oil accumulators are merely bottles and must be vertical. I believe the Accusump uses a bladder or diaphragm to segregate the oil and compressed air, allowing horizontal mounting. (strap it to strut brace?) Concurrently, I plan to relocate the oil filter. This kills 2 birds with one stone, as the hose to the remote filter is an excellent spot to insert the Accusump. All you need is a check valve and a T fitting.
Have you ever seen the filter adapter? Is it thin enough to allow
continued use of the skid plate after the filter is back on?
Seems like your idea of strut brace mounting is a good one.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Also available in dual-filter model.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts