LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
You may also want to cross reference PF-44 as that was the filter before GM upgraded to a PF-46.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
You might want to reconsider buyin a Mobil1 oil filter. I've installed them twice on my 98 TA, and found that they add about 10 to 20 Lbs of Oil pressure. Which means you are not flowing as much oil through your system.

I've switched to K&N oil filters and use the long version, the pressure is a little less than stock and the quality is very very good. If you're running any typce of synthetic oil, then use the K&N.

Stay away from Fram also, the one time I tried it the casing bowed out after a week of daily driving.

Hope this helps
 

·
Old GTO Owner
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
jaguarcult said:
You might want to reconsider buyin a Mobil1 oil filter. I've installed them twice on my 98 TA, and found that they add about 10 to 20 Lbs of Oil pressure. Which means you are not flowing as much oil through your system.

I've switched to K&N oil filters and use the long version, the pressure is a little less than stock and the quality is very very good. If you're running any typce of synthetic oil, then use the K&N.

Stay away from Fram also, the one time I tried it the casing bowed out after a week of daily driving.

Hope this helps
I would disagree. I used both K&N and Mobil 1 on both my LS1 F-bodies and didn't have any oil pressure issues. Not to mention the filters are virtually identical. Hell, they have the same part number too.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
I used to use the Purolator Pure 1 filters. Better than either one and cheaper, but Murray's stopped selling them. If anyone has a source, preferrably online, please post.
 

·
2005 CGM GTO
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
I run Mobil 1 filters on my LS1 Corvette and the oil pressure is the same as OEM. On the Corvette the oil pressure can be viewed as a exact #. When I switched to Mobil 1 filters I checked the pressures before and after. They were the same as OEM at all RPMs. And I made sure the oil temp was exactly the same on both tests.
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
I went to PepBoys and they dont sell Mobil 1 filters. Who sells them in the Chicagoland area?
I get mine at Murrys in Glen Ellyn they also sell AMSoil. The filter I used for my truck that has a Gen III engine was a M1-107 and belive vette and Fbody used it too.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
I'm going to get the PermaCool dual filter relocation kit. It uses 2 FL2a type filters and they are huge. One of them will be a Purolator Pure 1, and the other will be an Amsoil bypass filter to get the small stuff. Only drag will be increasing the oil capacity by 1 1/2 quarts, like Mobil 1 isn't expensive enough already. The PermaCool kit is about 1/4 the price of the Amsoil kit.
 

·
Snagging your fish!!!
Joined
·
157 Posts
Can someone tell me why and how the Mobil 1 filter is better than the stock one?? Does it have better filtering capabilities, than the stock filter??? I have always used stock filters on all of my cars and trucks, I tried Fram once on my 2000 S-10, and boy, was the oil pressure ALL over the place, so I took it off, and tried another Fram, and the same thing happened. Took it off, and used the AC Delco filter, and the oil pressure went back to normal. So now I just used stock filters for everything that I drive.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
UBDSLO1 said:
Can someone tell me why and how the Mobil 1 filter is better than the stock one?? Does it have better filtering capabilities, than the stock filter??? I have always used stock filters on all of my cars and trucks, I tried Fram once on my 2000 S-10, and boy, was the oil pressure ALL over the place, so I took it off, and tried another Fram, and the same thing happened. Took it off, and used the AC Delco filter, and the oil pressure went back to normal. So now I just used stock filters for everything that I drive.
The AC Delco are very good filters. The Mobil filters are just a little bit better. The Fram are bad. They use a lot of cardboard where it should be plastic/metal.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
Fram seems to be on the verge of trying to enter the upgrade market. They just introduced a line of "Air Hog" high flow air filters. Their rep in oil filters has really taken a hit in the last few years. It would not surprise me at all to see them come out with something better. They were a good name many moons ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
A word of caution about the Permacool assembly. A friend of mine received one of their kits for a Duramax and the rough casting of the filter adapter still had metal shavings in it. By all means, completely flush out anything that you get. By the way, the vendor who sold him the part allowed him to return it for a complete refund. The casting was garbage.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
ACPromotions said:
A word of caution about the Permacool assembly. A friend of mine received one of their kits for a Duramax and the rough casting of the filter adapter still had metal shavings in it. By all means, completely flush out anything that you get. By the way, the vendor who sold him the part allowed him to return it for a complete refund. The casting was garbage.
Castings are a little rough. I had a trans line filter kit that I had to use teflon tape on the fitting threads to get it to seal. You get what you pay for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
GM's part number for the oil filter is PF-46. What is the Mobil 1 part number for our car?

AutoZone sold me the Mobil M1-107 filter. Hope thats the right one!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top