LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe my search on here wasn't good enough, but I have yet to see where anyone has posted that they use Mobil 1 Oil filters. Seems I see K&N, Fram, or AC Delco.... any reason why?

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
I use a Mobil 1 filter :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Too expensive. Purolator Pure 1 filters better for about half the price @ Advance Auto Parts. K&N leaks, Fram is crap, AC Delco is good.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Bosch filters are made by the same company as Mobil1 filters and as far as I can tell they are the same minus the body color. (Even markings are the same) They are about half the cost of Mobil1 filters.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
K&N leaks? I've got K&N and mine doesn't leak? Whose got leaks with the K&N?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
DiSTuRBeDGTO said:
K&N leaks? I've got K&N and mine doesn't leak? Whose got leaks with the K&N?
There was a thread a several months back where there seemed to be a cluster of leaky K&N's. Might have just been a bad batch. I had an Autolite leak like a screen door in a submarine, despite tightening it much more than the law allows.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Purolator Pure 1 is a great filter...98% or 96% on the multi-pass test...can't remember. The regular Purolator is 96% or 94% on the same test. AC Delco is good too. Take your pick! Just don't pick a Fram....it's a piece of junk!!

·
Is that FWD?
1,101 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 oil filters on my last 4 cars. Never had a problem.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
adearmas said:
That's it my KN oil filter is out the window. They say here they leak!
Mine doesn't leak, only one person here is having problems with their KN oil filter due to a possible block problem.

M1 oil filters are good but some say their oil pressure is reduced slightly. I guess they flow better then most filters.

Good oil filters are Napa gold made by Wix or a Wix oil filter. K&N is widely supported though with oil gurus.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
If the factory Delco filter is readily available, (any parts store has them for $4) and are rated in the top three filters as having the most filter surface area. You know its a reccomended factory item. Then why buy a M1 or K&N. Use Mobil 1 oil and a delco. It's already expensive enough using Mobil 1 oil. Why get a high dollar filter that isn't any better.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 filters with Mobil 1 oil in all my cars. I had looked to try the Pure One filters, but no one in this town carries them.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Mine doesn't leak, only one person here is having problems with their KN oil filter due to a possible block problem.

M1 oil filters are good but some say their oil pressure is reduced slightly. I guess they flow better then most filters.

Good oil filters are Napa gold made by Wix or a Wix oil filter. K&N is widely supported though with oil gurus.

Try not to spread K&N propaganda. We all know they are poopy and shouldn't be used. All you really need is a dixie cup stuffed paper towels duct taped to the motor. All these recommendations are just propaganda being spread by Leninist oil companies trying to take your freedoms away from you. Really GMH I expected better from you.

:D

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
ArlingtonGoat said:
Try not to spread K&N propaganda. We all know they are poopy and shouldn't be used. All you really need is a dixie cup stuffed paper towels duct taped to the motor. All these recommendations are just propaganda being spread by Leninist oil companies trying to take your freedoms away from you. Really GMH I expected better from you.

:D
:gr_jest:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
putch said:
Just don't pick a Fram....it's a piece of junk!!
the funny thing is all these people trash Fram and I have been using them on all my cars for the last 12 years........NEVER A SINGLE PROBLEM.

·
Snapper Head
56 Posts
This is just my 2 cents but everyone on this and most forums change there oil way before any rec. times or mileages....
What does this mean????
Well the lubricating and cleansing properties haven't started to fail yet so it really doesn't matter. Just go get the $6.95 high perf catalog from any GM dealer and they list a AC Delco filter that filters to even smaller microns. Who would know better the the General in my opinion... I think too much is talked about when everyone hear is a whole lot over anal..... I drive mine like I stole it so I do mine more frequently but it still comes out just as clean as it went in..... I'm not trying to offend but so many of these co. are the same business when it just comes down to personal preference..... :gr_jest:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Does 5,000 miles with mobil 1 sound like too much?
When I used a high grade synthetic on my previous vehicle (cough AMSoil, :wall: bring on the trolls! actually keep your comments to yourself) I would do a filter change every 3,000 miles that displaces a quart of oil. Then change the oil at 15,000 miles.

·
Snapper Head
56 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Does 5,000 miles with mobil 1 sound like too much?
When I used a high grade synthetic on my previous vehicle (cough AMSoil, :wall: bring on the trolls! actually keep your comments to yourself) I would do a filter change every 3,000 miles that displaces a quart of oil. Then change the oil at 15,000 miles.

I'd say way too much but again it's just my opinion....
I go no more then 3k no matter what.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
there was a very sofisticated and thorough test done on oil filters that was posted on the corvette forum 3 or 4 years ago and it was quite revealing. first, there are basically only 3 or 4 manufactureres of oil filters n the world. they are sold under many brand names with alot of them being identical. wix and napa gold are made by the same company and are the same filter-very good rating. the mobil1, puraltor pure one are both made by puralator and are identical except for paint and label-they have a slightly better rating than the wix/napa gold. they also tested the upf-44 ac delco corvette filter and it was equal to mobil1/pure one. the test did come down quite hard on the fram filters for both the cardboard end plate they use in lieu of metal(possible blowout and thus complete bypass of all filtering-actually happened to one of the fram filters during the test) and inferior internal check valve assembly. i was quite impressed with the test and basically it said if you can find a puralator pure one that is the best filter at about $5 at pep boys and other discount retailers. if i remeber right the bosch micro or micron filter(their expensive one) was also the same as mobil one. the k&n and amsoil were conidered inferior and overpriced compared to the wix/napa gold. i think their rating was listed as follows:
1-pure one
1a-ac delco upf-44
1b-mobil 1
2-wix/napa gold
3-k&n
4-amsoil
5-all others
6-fram
they actually said frams cheaper filters were superior in filtering and design to the more expensive frams.
the report also said that in most cases they doubt whether any of the filters would really make a diference in long term wear and tear on an engine except they didn't reccomend fram at all.
the 3 filters rated #1 were all equal with the only difference being price, with pure one at about $5, ac delco at around $7-8, and mobil 1 at $10.
they did say that when in doubt use the oem filter as all oems have their filters made to their specific specs and are all of good quality.
i use pure one if i can find them for my car as first choice, oem as second and wix/napa gold as my third.
the study was done by an independent lab for one of the car magazines and was linked in the corvette forum. this is from my memory, but i'm pretty sure its 99% accurate.(couldn't go back in the archives to find and link the post)
hope this helps.
ps. we can use the upf44 ac delco i believe on our LS1 engines for those of you who like to stay oem-i know i have used these when i have had my oil changed on my avalanche, corvette, EXT. at the dealer if i was in for warranty work and needed a change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts