LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
06 M6 in Frisco
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to order an LPE CAI. Wasn't sure what other mods to look at after that.

I am not going to get a cam or anything extreme for this car (yet). I like the the smooth idle, and low profile sound. I am not going to be drag racing or anything, I am just looking for small mods to add some extra horses just for fun.

EDIT: I am planning on getting it tuned after some modes, so want to get as many as I can out of the way before the tune. I was also thinking about an exhast upgrade or something (probably Magnaflow, and SLP Longtubes with Cats), but not sure if the nickle and dime gain is worth the $2K price tag.

Any suggestions?

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
If I had a 05-06 GOAT!

Intake, ported stock tb, ported intake manifold, Pacesetter coated LTs with mid pipes (catted or non-catted yer choice), magnaflow mufflers, underdrive crank pulley, cam, valve springs, pushrods, plugs w/wires, drag bags, better rear tires (DRs), tq converter if yer a A4, short shifter (if yer a M6), 3.91 final drive, and a dynotune. That GTO would kick ass.

·
Moderhatin'
6,723 Posts
I think you got the right idea. Get the LPE CAI (I have this and love it) and exhaust. (Look aroud there are many good threads on exhaust and headers) It comes down to what you think will best work with your future mod plans. Most systems that the vendors on the left supply are very good. The really big difference is the sound quality. If you want something Loud (Magnaflow, SLP)or something that is loud when you just get on it. (Corsa, Borla). I would then start to look at engine mods Forced induction/intakes/heads/cams/thottle bodys etc. Once you get this far you are going to need suspension (Peddlers) work/tires to get all that power to the ground. You could even do suspension before you get to all the engine mods. The car puts enough power to the pavement as it is, getting your car to hook up is very important. There are numerous mods that can be done. It is up to you to figure out where you want to stop. You can put the car into the 11's with no problems with all that is available. Just remember once you catch the mod bug you will never want to stop.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
06 M6 in Frisco
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CHarris said:
Definitely these mods:

Long Tube Headers
LPE CAI
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttlebody
Custom tuning

You won't be disappointed...

http://www.ls2portworks.com/LS2_Dyno_4.html
Hey CHarris,

Are there any side effects that I should be aware of with a ported Intake Manifold and TB?

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
Magnaflows are not very loud. even with lt's. The corsa touring isn't either. If you want stealth do lt's and leave the stock catback.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
^^^^ spd98 is correct. Magnaflow is a little quieter than stock. LT and stock exahst sounds real nice. With a cam it is a little slice of heaven.

·
Registered
528 Posts
AcePilot said:
Hey CHarris,

Are there any side effects that I should be aware of with a ported Intake Manifold and TB?
None whatsoever with the Manifold. So long as the TB is ported by a competent guy it will be fine too. I recommend "MyGoatBites" on here for TB's... he has lots of happy GTO customers.

Both mods are best with tuning. And very good with headers ;)

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
3,830 Posts
Sleepy said:
^^^^ spd98 is correct. Magnaflow is a little quieter than stock. LT and stock exahst sounds real nice. With a cam it is a little slice of heaven.

Gotta disagree with you there (see sig). Once the mufflers breakin and the insulation loosens up, it sounds real nice. At idle, it is a little quiter, but has a deeper tone, and anything above 2-3k rpm it just screams. But if you are looking for good performance with a quite sound, just keep the stock, cut out the stock muffs and resenator, and put your choice of mufflers.

As far as mods, I did intake and exhaust. I think if you are going to hold off on a cam or heads etc. do some suspension mods, just finished mine this weekend, and love it. But like most everyone, you will keep going.

·
Registered
506 Posts
greg'sgoat said:
As far as mods, I did intake and exhaust. I think if you are going to hold off on a cam or heads etc. do some suspension mods, just finished mine this weekend, and love it. But like most everyone, you will keep going.
Have to agree on suspension. Just Pedderized the front end (still gotta do the back in my garage) with GSRs and urethane throughout.

Made a real big difference in cornering and braking. Much improved.

I tend to work my Goat from the standpoint of handling and safety first, then move forward through drivetrain and trans before tackling engine.

That's just me. But suspension is a BIG deal with handling and safety and upgrades there are not money wasted.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
I'd say the next item should prolly be some long tube headers, underdrive and then a tune. Seriously, I wouldnt worry so much with porting of TB's, intakes, etc. You have 90mm's for christ sake...thats a lot of air. You will be amazed at the difference just headers and a tune will do. Good luck.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
Redrum said:
I wouldnt worry so much with porting of TB's, intakes, etc. You have 90mm's for christ sake...thats a lot of air.
You haven't looked at the stock runners on the LS2 intake it appears by your comment. I've owned the LS6 intake that came on my 2004, a stock LS2, a ported LS2, a stock FAST 90mm, and two ported FAST 90mm intakes. The porting work on the FAST 90s were done by Tony Mamo @ AFR and Ron @ Vengance racing. (I sold the Tony intake when I needed the quick cash last winter).

The best gain, without concern for money, is a properly ported FAST 90mm intake setup on a LS2 (or LS1 for that matter). If a person is not willing to spend the money a on properly Ported FAST 90mm intake (over $1k), their next best intake would be a properly ported LS2 from Chris H or Jermey F. This is from my personal expericing owning the above and also watching a friend install a ported FAST 90mm on his LS2 2005 GTO, let alone the experience of all the others that have already improved on the stock LS2 intake. The stock piece is pretty sad, really.

·
Registered
528 Posts
GTO_Scott said:
The best gain, without concern for money, is a properly ported FAST 90mm intake setup on a LS2 (or LS1 for that matter). If a person is not willing to spend the money a on properly Ported FAST 90mm intake (over $1k), their next best intake would be a properly ported LS2 from CHarris or Jermey F.
I agree 1,000,000% :judge:

And as one of the newest forum sponsors I can help you get where you want to be for less :)

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
GTO_Scott said:
You haven't looked at the stock runners on the LS2 intake it appears by your comment. I've owned the LS6 intake that came on my 2004, a stock LS2, a ported LS2, a stock FAST 90mm, and two ported FAST 90mm intakes. The porting work on the FAST 90s were done by Tony Mamo @ AFR and Ron @ Vengance racing. (I sold the Tony intake when I needed the quick cash last winter).

The best gain, without concern for money, is a properly ported FAST 90mm intake setup on a LS2 (or LS1 for that matter). If a person is not willing to spend the money a on properly Ported FAST 90mm intake (over $1k), their next best intake would be a properly ported LS2 from Chris H or Jermey F. This is from my personal expericing owning the above and also watching a friend install a ported FAST 90mm on his LS2 2005 GTO, let alone the experience of all the others that have already improved on the stock LS2 intake. The stock piece is pretty sad, really.
If you say so.
And yes, I have seen the stock runners.
But for this persons application, I dont think it worth the money. I never said porting was a bad thing nor was the Fast worthless...just not in this application.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
AcePilot said:
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to order an LPE CAI. Wasn't sure what other mods to look at after that.

I am not going to get a cam or anything extreme for this car (yet). I like the the smooth idle, and low profile sound. I am not going to be drag racing or anything, I am just looking for small mods to add some extra horses just for fun.

EDIT: I am planning on getting it tuned after some modes, so want to get as many as I can out of the way before the tune. I was also thinking about an exhast upgrade or something (probably Magnaflow, and SLP Longtubes with Cats), but not sure if the nickle and dime gain is worth the $2K price tag.

Any suggestions?
Untill you start flowing more air, (heads/Cam/Headers/FI) there is no benifit to aftermarket exhaust other than sound. And that is subjective to the owners taste. For me, LT Headers/ Cam/ and stock exhaust gave me what I wanted. Muscle car sound and 375 RWHP, (04' GTO). A CIA, Catback and Fast Intake manifold would likely gain me another 15 to 20. Not worth the bucks.

You are saying you like the 'low profile sound' but you will loose that as soon as you go with an aftermarket catback and or LT's. Cats' will help mellow it a bit but it gets loud fast. StainlessWorks has a very quiet 3' system but you will loose power unless you go FI (Turbo/ Supercharger)

Your list of 'wants' is kind of vauge. From what I read, you have a CIA and want to keep things near stock quiet. If that is your goal and HP isn't really that important I would look into suspension and breaks before I did anything else. A tight car with great breaks will be a lot more fun than a car that can run 2 seconds faster than stock in the 1/4 for 90% of the driving you will do.

Make a list of exactly what you want from your car and then ask us again.

If Power and Stealth are the goal. Turbo is the answer.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
greg'sgoat said:
Gotta disagree with you there (see sig). Once the mufflers breakin and the insulation loosens up, it sounds real nice. At idle, it is a little quiter, but has a deeper tone, and anything above 2-3k rpm it just screams. But if you are looking for good performance with a quite sound, just keep the stock, cut out the stock muffs and resenator, and put your choice of mufflers.

loud is relative. I have heard corsa, slp, magnaflow, and borla with lt's. the magnaflow is by far the queitest of the group with the loudest being the loudmouth or corsa sport.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your worried about the idle, Buy the CheaTR cam( no headers required), torque converter if your a4, a pair of radials and a small shot. You will be cleaning house! Dont even worry about anything else. Cause when you open the hood and all they see is a cold air kit, you'll be making some money!:turbonaug

·
Registered
528 Posts
seadonky said:
If your worried about the idle, Buy the CheaTR cam( no headers required), torque converter if your a4, a pair of radials and a small shot. You will be cleaning house! Dont even worry about anything else. Cause when you open the hood and all they see is a cold air kit, you'll be making some money!:turbonaug
Even the CheaTR with headers and a stock catback isn't real noticeable sounding at idle. A ported stock intake is just another invisible 10rwhp to help take that money from the unsuspecting racer :gears:

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
I have LT's and stock cat back.....cam aside, its still maintains a stock sound.
A buddy of mine just added catted LT's to his '04....sounds stock as they come. There is no free hp. With high performance comes a big pricetag. 3k + install will buy you a super charger and about 80-100 hp gain, sometimes more. I spent about 3k in parts/install/tune for N/A and achived close to the same gains. Guess it all depends on the size of your wallet. :)
But if a cam is in the future, then by adding headers and an underdrive, you are ahead of the ball game by having all the required bolt ons. IMO

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
LITE SPD said:
If I had a 05-06 GOAT!

Intake, ported stock tb, ported intake manifold, Pacesetter coated LTs with mid pipes (catted or non-catted yer choice), magnaflow mufflers, underdrive crank pulley, cam, valve springs, pushrods, plugs w/wires, drag bags, better rear tires (DRs), tq converter if yer a A4, short shifter (if yer a M6), 3.91 final drive, and a dynotune. That GTO would kick ass.
hmm fiz now you have got me thinking about doing that to my 05! :sneaky: those are just about the biggest bang for the $$$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts