LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's right. Last night I ran into an EVO(8 I believe). I was on a date and was ignoring him but he did the BOV treatment and than pulled away from me HARD!! My date was like"WOw that car sounded crazy". After giving her the lowdown on the EVO she says"why don't you see how fast it really is!!" Read my mind!!

So we're cruising on a 3 lane BLVD(each way) and there is this overpass that is pretty long. You can safely hit some high speed with time to slow before the next light...at least an 1/8 mile.

I pull up to him at 30mph, drop it into 2nd and gun it! Putting some distance between us and he bites. I see his nose lift and he is coming quick up in the speed lane!! Me in the middle lane...I nail it and by 60mph he has closed most of the jump I got( 4 cars give or take). I slam 3rd and hear my MPH setting go off(75MPH it is set at). That is my limit and he was right about to pass me regardless! Definately a fast fast car! So I lift but am still in 3rd so my car slows quickly in that gear(M6). He stayed in it and part of the this overpass in a slight curve. Nothing dramatic and I have done 80 around it no problem. I figured an EVO could handle it handle it even better! Wrong!! I guess the power of his car was too much around the turn at WOT..only thing I can think of!!

All of a sudden I see the back of his car fishtail a bit and then his 2 driver side tires go up on the curb high median!!! That was it! He spins, cuts across the 3 lanes and goes head on into the wall! Then he bounces off the wall, 360's and the rear of his car smashes into the wall. The whole time I see this happening in slow motion. I was breaking hard but not enough to slide. I actually did fishtail a bit when going through the fluid he was spitting out everywhere! OK. so now his car is sliding sideways down the road and comes to a stop in the slow lane so I was able to get into the speed lane a go around!! Thank GOD that was SOOOOO close.

I pull my car up about 100ft in front of the scene and run back. The EVO was wreaked. The driver was already out of the car but the pass. was shakin' and his airbag had deployed! I asked if they were OK and the driver, seemed a little shaken said YES..I was like what the hell happened! He didn't answer but the pass. was like we hit the curb. I saw that but how the hell did you get out of control?? Guy didn't know but I said we should call the cops because his car is sideways on this fast BLVD and is a sitting duck on the blind side of this overpass. I don't have flares so I waved a few cars by. He said I should go and all is fine. NO cops!! I told him I'll hang but he insisted that I go. At that I said OK and good luck.

As soon as I got into my car I saw an Ambulance coming so traffic would be alerted. That was my main concern that these guys didn't get blind-sided on this overpass.
So I left and in retrospect I'm glad I got out of there because once the cops came and saw an EVO and an GTO with fairly young drives in them...they may have started asking quessing. No other cars that we passed prior to the race pulled over so probably no witnesses!! I still had to pull over cause that was a BAD hit and felt it was the right thing to do.

I have come on here many times and blasted guys who always preach that street racing is dangerous!! It is but to come here and say that is like preaching to the choir!

I still post this to late you guys know that...STREET RACING is dangerous! I'm not saying don't every do it but this is what can happen. It rains you get wet. I know the roads I pick to run very well...down to the pothole. This guy may not have been so lucky. Only reason I am here posting is because I lifted and he did not! If I stayed in it he would have hit that curb and slammed into me instead of that wall!!

IN short..pick your spots, don't go past a certain speed(mind is 75 but I may re-think that!), even in the heat of battle. I thank GOD I lifted or it'd be 2 nice cars destroyed instead of 1 and more chance of injury.

I hope the pass. turns out to be OK. The car did hold up VERY well after such a hard hit. I was shocked at that!! My date was stunned no the less and said I should have kept quiet!!

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
Well, at least you stopped. I was reading it thinking I was going to have to bash you for leaving the scene of an accident that you were a part of.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Racing in a straight line is one thing. I'll go all the way to 150mph on a long, clear, straight road. But once the road starts to turn, I'm out of any race. It's not worth it. This is a good example.

You mentioned 75mph being your limit. That's nothing on the highways around here. Even the cars in the slow lane go faster than 75mph (seriously). The average speed on I75 in the morning communte is about 90mph. But that's on a nice perfect highway. I would never try to take an exit ramp at those speeds. But there's nothing wrong with going 75 mph on the highway. The speed limit is 70mph in area.

But I think your talking more about street racing (off highway). In that case I can definately see your point.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
My guess would be bad tires. You could have the world's best handling cars, but without good tires or tires with too much wear on them, it ain't worth crap. Then again, he might have hit a wet patch or hit something on the road that neither of you saw.

Anyways, it's good that you got out and helped the person. I remember being in this situation except I wasn't racing. It's pretty scary seeing a bad crash happen right before your eyes....I really can't comprehend how people DON'T pull over and make sure everyone is OK....

·
9 Second Club
14,784 Posts
jumbojet said:
IN short..pick your spots, don't go past a certain speed(mind is 75 but I may re-think that!), even in the heat of battle. I thank GOD
+1 and never in an area with side streets coming out. Soccer moms lurk on those side streets.

People laugh at me cause few of my vids ever get over 15 miles past the speed limit. But by then, you should know your car well enough to deduce the rest else you shouldn't be driving it.

Kudos to you for stopping to check on them.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
wrp said:
+1 and never in an area with side streets coming out. Soccer moms lurk on those side streets.

People laugh at me cause few of my vids ever get over 15 miles past the speed limit. But by then, you should know your car well enough to deduce the rest else you shouldn't be driving it.

Kudos to you for stopping to check on them.
+1:thumbs:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good that no one was hurt. You mentioned some fluid on the road, and that could have already been there when he went into the turn, or maybe he busted something in the driveline grabbing a gear.

I've seen accidents twice while racing, both involving curves. Both time the car wsa behind me, an both times it was totalled and the drivers only had minor injuries. I gave one of them a ride to the hospital, and the other one was a friend so he went to my house with a broken nose. There wasn't a straight road to be found where I grew up, so it was sort of normal to race on curves. Looking back on it, it was stupid and I'm lucky I didn't bite it on a couple of occasions.

Now, on the street, any sign of a curve and I'm done. I don't think I could live with myself if I was involved in some stupidity that ended up killing someone who didn't have anything to do with it.

Good job for stopping to make sure they were ok.

·
3,256 Posts
8ball said:
My guess would be bad tires. You could have the world's best handling cars, but without good tires or tires with too much wear on them, it ain't worth crap. Then again, he might have hit a wet patch or hit something on the road that neither of you saw.

Anyways, it's good that you got out and helped the person. I remember being in this situation except I wasn't racing. It's pretty scary seeing a bad crash happen right before your eyes....I really can't comprehend how people DON'T pull over and make sure everyone is OK....

I'm sure the guy being young and inexperienced had something to do with it. When he hit the curb, it probably startled him into an over-correction.

As far as pulling over, its one thing to do it when you aren't a contributor to it, its another thing when the accident was caused by a race in which you were a participant. Some people get scared and decide to run, only making matters worse. I've found that my conscience tends to punish me far worse than anything anyone else can inflict on me, so I'd rather just go ahead and own up to something and get the punishment over with.

Also, you may want to be careful, the other guy may try to pin some fault on you (another case of being too scared to own up to your actions) and claim you ran from the scene to deflect some of the blame on him or so that he can tell his insurance company that someone else caused his accident.

·
1 of 40,757
6,483 Posts
Glad you didnt get messed up in the deal. Props for stopping.

Maybe Im getting old (31) but I've turned down all requests to "run em" so far. older SS Camaro, couple '05/'06 GT's, STi. Never been edged into it on the street though. Always asked to when walking into my local 7-11 lol.

·
2006 Qkslvr/M6/18 1 of 412
443 Posts
Thank God everyone was ok.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy who's a cop passed the seen about 20mins after it happened. I called and told him the story and said keep an eye out because he goes home that way.

Well he just called me and sure enough the pass. was out walking around and seemed to be fine and the driver(described him for me) was getting arrested. I'm not going to make any assumptions(why I didn't post this detail at first) but when I was talking with him I asked if he had been drinking and he got a bit annoyed at that. Guess we now know why he lost control. The road was dry and clear from memory and for some reason I was looking at the rear of his car waiting to see flames from his exhuast when he lost control. Point is I was focused and was looking closey and did not see any spills prior to him going into a tailspin.

I also was not running him anymore at that point and this was all his doing. He had clear road with nothing in his way and went too fast and lost it. Period...

Hope all works out OK for him. Don't drink and drive , especially with 3 and 400 hp power cars...lesson #2 from this event.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well Im glad to hear that everyone was ok.

Thats whats so scary about racing a random person on the street. You dont know if the've been drinking, are a new driver, or are crazy and going to shoot you or run you off the road.

On a side note side note did the Evo look lowered? The reason I ask is that the Evo is beautifully set up from the factory for handling but there are several spring combos out there that actually hurt performance.

·
this ->pimpstatus(10);
1,113 Posts
That had to be freaky, I've only seen 2 accidents in person, last one the lady somehow flipped her SUV, that's a wierd sight.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Most interesting story i've read in awhile. Thanks. Pretty crazy story at that. I'm glad you stopped. Situation like that i couldn't live with my self for leaving the scene if the dude died or something.

The drinking part is bad. WTF was he thinking. He's lucky he walked away from this one alive.

Nice call on lifting. Not many guys could do that, i'm not even sure if i could have in the situation.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EVO looked stock. I believe it had crossdrilled rotors but can't be 100% on that. It was very loud and made all kinds of popping sounds when in boost. It was definately not stock. It looked like when he hit this "slight" curve he gained more speed and the back started lifting up!

I'm not sue what his car had but from a 30mph roll I had 3+cars on him when he got into it. By 60mph he was in my side view and 70-75mph he was at my bumper and pulling. I got out he stayed in it. So figured he was going 85-90mph.

It that a shift point on these cars? Maybe he hit the sweet spot and popped the clutch too fast! Scary sh!t to see a car 360ing and sliding in front of you. Pretty helpless feeling but for some reason I break hard but stayed calm and under control. Waiting for my chance to pass! Luck had alot to do with it. I still passed him at about 30mph even after breaking hard...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
and now we now why evos insurance rates are sky hight (refer to the thread in the lounge)

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
I agree, seeing an accident happening right in front of you is a very scary sight. Now imagine being in a tractor trailer with a little over 40000lbs in the trailer, and seeing two cars spinning out in front of you and a third car going under your tailer. All this while your truck is jackknifing and heading for the guard rail and the embankment. Then 3 days later I woke up........Now that was Scary!!!

Lets be careful out there guys and gals, lets NOT have another tragedy like the Las Vegas accident!!!!

ROK

1 - 20 of 81 Posts