LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've noticed a moderate steering wheel shake at 50-60 mph at times. The wheel wobbles back & forth ever so slightly...almost like I'm going over tiny bumps. Not sure if it's just the suspension reacting to the road or something more serious. It's tough to reproduce on command too...just happens sometimes (on varying types of road surfaces). Anyone else experiencing this? The car has 750 miles on it.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Sounds almost like a wheel wieght fell off. Just take it in and have the Dealer do it on their dime.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Mine had that same shake @ 60mph. Had the tires rotated and Balanced @ 5k miles.....I am now shake-free!

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Check tire pressure, the take it too dealer for "one time only" free balancing.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
The dealership may not even do it properly. Personaly, i'd take it to a tire shop that can put stick on weights inside the wheel and remove the clip weights on the lips since those usualy tend to fall off anyhow. I've never had problems with the others.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm already using stick-on weights (I wouldn't let them get within 50 feet of my chromed rims with clips)! When I take the car in for my 1K miles Mobil 1 change, I'll have them balance all the wheels. Thanks for the advice!

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Make sure they do a dynamic balance, not just a quicky static one. Chrome wheels also often take more weight to balance out correctly.

·
Evil Conservative Hatemonger
1,238 Posts
I agree with Disturbed. Check the tire pressures first and then take it into the dealer if it still shakes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had the same shake and took it to the dealership. They found that both front tires were out of balance. The shake is gone now, but I will rebalance and rotate all 4 tires @ 6,000 miles just in case.

Gianni

·
Registered
21 Posts
... first post, so please have mercy.
Mine (6M,back,red) is doing exactly the same.
Smooth road, constant speed 45, 50, 65, 70 mph and the steering wheels starts vibrating (just slightly left to right, not up or down ...). The dealer looked at it twice (first after 1,800 miles, balanced all 4 wheels and put the smoothest running pair to the front) and at 4,000 miles (don't remember the exact term, but they balanced the front wheels 'under load'). It's less 'disturbing' now, but there is still this shake left to right. By the way, on the same roads my (front wheel drive !) Focus is 'dead smooth' ...
Would a miss alignment (too much toe in, ...) cause something like this ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am not certain but I get the same shake between 55 and 65 mph. I had it road force balanced and it helped but now it is doing it again. It is easier to notice on a smooth road than a bumpy road as the road conditions dont mask the vibration. I am taking it back in...

·
408 Stroker GTO
3,406 Posts
You said "my chrome rims".....are you new chrome wheels hub centric? Did they use a spacer? I went doen this road with Discount Tires...am back to stock wheels right now......they could never balance lug centric wheels...ever....ever....ever.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts