LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm not really planning on doing anything in the near future (my wife would kill me - plus I want plenty of time for warranty-type stuff to shake out/break.whatever) but I'm thinking, ya know?

OK, so my car will never see a track. I'm also not gonna be doing any real "street racing", either - other than an occasional "stop light dash". Truthfully, 99% of my driving will be below 5k RPM. When I'm driving like a grown-up, I generally will stay below 3.5k. So, since most of my driving is "down low" and even my spirited driving is mostly in the 2k to 4.5k range, I am much more interested in torque than I am in peak horsepower.

So, with all that said, what plans should I make for the future? My thoughts are that, since I am not pushing high RPMs, induction and exhaust capacity are not as important as efficiency, if you follow me. By that I mean that 90mm TB and 1 7/8" pipes are virtually without value to me but a nice clean CAI and port-matching are.

Here's what I'm thinking - StainlessWorks headers w/ cats feeding the stock cat-backs; AFR Mongoose ported street heads; a rather mild cam (something like a Lunati's 212*/221* 0.510" 116* LSA, for instance, or Comp Cam's 212*/218* 0.522"/0.529" 114* LSA) that is aimed at grunt rather than scream; a nice smooth airbox/pipe combo (when the vendors get that figured out a little better); port-matching at the interfaces; and a little dyno time to get the tune very bump-free.

I really like the nearly linear nature of the stock power curve - I believe that is a huge part of what makes this car so fun to drive. I want to increase the torque from a bit off idle to around 5k (especially in the 2.5k to 4.5k range) but without introducing any spikes.

OK, thoughts? I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of some of you with a few years of "hot rod" miles (and I'll just have to tolerate the rest of you! ;) :p )

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
One word...

gto_in_nc said:
First of all, I'm not really planning on doing anything in the near future (my wife would kill me - plus I want plenty of time for warranty-type stuff to shake out/break.whatever) but I'm thinking, ya know?

OK, so my car will never see a track. I'm also not gonna be doing any real "street racing", either - other than an occasional "stop light dash". Truthfully, 99% of my driving will be below 5k RPM. When I'm driving like a grown-up, I generally will stay below 3.5k. So, since most of my driving is "down low" and even my spirited driving is mostly in the 2k to 4.5k range, I am much more interested in torque than I am in peak horsepower.

So, with all that said, what plans should I make for the future? My thoughts are that, since I am not pushing high RPMs, induction and exhaust capacity are not as important as efficiency, if you follow me. By that I mean that 90mm TB and 1 7/8" pipes are virtually without value to me but a nice clean CAI and port-matching are.

Here's what I'm thinking - StainlessWorks headers w/ cats feeding the stock cat-backs; AFR Mongoose ported street heads; a rather mild cam (something like a Lunati's 212*/221* 0.510" 116* LSA, for instance, or Comp Cam's 212*/218* 0.522"/0.529" 114* LSA) that is aimed at grunt rather than scream; a nice smooth airbox/pipe combo (when the vendors get that figured out a little better); port-matching at the interfaces; and a little dyno time to get the tune very bump-free.

I really like the nearly linear nature of the stock power curve - I believe that is a huge part of what makes this car so fun to drive. I want to increase the torque from a bit off idle to around 5k (especially in the 2.5k to 4.5k range) but without introducing any spikes.

OK, thoughts? I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of some of you with a few years of "hot rod" miles (and I'll just have to tolerate the rest of you! ;) :p )
Predator... ;)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
im thinking about:
intake, catback, short throw shifter (when one is availabe), and predator tune. that would be good for 30-40 hp atleast. maybe headers and cats a few years down the road.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTOdriver -

Have you looked into the Aussie distro chain's short throws at all? I know of several kits - not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for tho...

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
MTI's stealth cams might be a choice for you. I wouldn't get the Predator if you are going to get a dyno tune. You are lucky that you have one of the best tuners right in NC, Jeff Creech of CAM(Carolina Auto Masters). He can find you some good power even as the car sits. Heads may or may not bring in low end torque. Gears would definitely make the car "feel" like it got a big shot of low end grunt without loosing any driveability.

Here's CAM's website:

http://www.carolinaautomasters.com/

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
GTOdriver -

Have you looked into the Aussie distro chain's short throws at all? I know of several kits - not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for tho...
never heard of it. got a website or anything

i know that LS1speed is testing one soon. and im sure that they will be out eventually

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
http://www.capa.com.au/ls1_accessories.htm

About 1/3 of the way down the page. Like I said, I'm (1) not sure if that would work and (2) not sure if that's what you want, but it seems to have the right words and you could always send them an email.
well i dont know what it is. but i dont think it should cost me $400, or whatever the $US equivalent is

but thanks, look like i will just have to wait for it

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Most bolt-ons will be sufficient. If you wanted a quick fix, a Nitrous kit! A handheld tuner like Predator is "OK", but if you really want it tuned, find someone with a dyno and LS1 edit or HP Tuners and be done with it. Just a personal opinion.

A heads and cam package from Speed Inc is about $3,000 and still retains daily driveability.

The only thing that pushes the limit would be stroker motors, massive cams, and a form of forced induction on top of a built motor. Otherwise pretty much anything will retain the LS1's daily driveability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
gto_in_nc said:

4:10 gears. They'll wake up your car.

Joel

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
There is not an option yet for rear end gearing on these cars. There will be a whole rear end carrier available soon, but not cheap.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rob said:
MTI's stealth cams might be a choice for you. I wouldn't get the Predator if you are going to get a dyno tune. You are lucky that you have one of the best tuners right in NC, Jeff Creech of CAM(Carolina Auto Masters). He can find you some good power even as the car sits. Heads may or may not bring in low end torque. Gears would definitely make the car "feel" like it got a big shot of low end grunt without loosing any driveability.

Here's CAM's website:

http://www.carolinaautomasters.com/
Thanks for the link, Rob! I've been wondering about finding a quality speed shop fairly close (in-laws are in Cary so Durham, while nearly two hours from me, is still reasonably accessible.)

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CMNTMXR57 said:
Most bolt-ons will be sufficient. If you wanted a quick fix, a Nitrous kit! A handheld tuner like Predator is "OK", but if you really want it tuned, find someone with a dyno and LS1 edit or HP Tuners and be done with it. Just a personal opinion.

A heads and cam package from Speed Inc is about $3,000 and still retains daily driveability.

The only thing that pushes the limit would be stroker motors, massive cams, and a form of forced induction on top of a built motor. Otherwise pretty much anything will retain the LS1's daily driveability.
Thank, CMNT! I really appreciate your feedback. I hear what you're saying about NO2 but that's not the path I'll choose to walk, I think. Partial-throttle responsiveness is much more important to me, really, than WOT (well, most of the time, anyhow...) so I think bolt-ons (like headers, for instance) and then some clean heads (small volume ports, stock CR & CC sizes, etc.) with a mild cam (all followed by a tune by an experience person with a dyno and either VCM or LS1 Edit) is the course I will take. Any cam suggestions???

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I would say an LG G5X2 cam with a set of Dual springs on the stock heads. This cam is a 114 LSA, so your idle wont be too bad depending on where you want your idle to be when it's tuned. I say stock heads becuase the stockers do flow very good, and they are the 241 casting LS6 heads anyways. This cam makes alot of tourque at a lower rpm, and is able to work with P&P heads, unlike the X3 cam. This is the cam that I would buy for my car because I like alot of touque too and I dont like to spin my motor over 6,500.

Other things would be Headers, cat back, TB, definatley gears, and maybe some drag radials so your car will get some traction. Also another good mod you'll probly enjoy is a pair of subframe connectors.

Hope this helped some :D

-Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts