1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Big Blue
2,168 Posts
First 3 are how they come. Last 2 are after I put a "light smoke" tint on them. I say then need tint on them and then brighter bulbs. The bulbs that come with them are too dim.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First 3 are how they come. Last 2 are after I put a "light smoke" tint on them. I say then need tint on them and then brighter bulbs. The bulbs that come with them are too dim.

Perfect, thank you! Those actually look great! Did you use "light smoke" from headlight armor?

·
Big Blue
2,168 Posts
Yeah it's the light smoke from headlight armor. Not the greatest stuff and I'm looking at other light smoke tint options. It has a lot of orange peel to it and the edges collect dirt. If you tint these you need to sand and buff off the raised lettering that is molded into the lens.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
Mine are not totally blacked on ones, I have had them for years, fitment was perfect. I put in stealth bulbs to eliminate the yellow bulbs.
Still trying to find new 06 tail lights though.

·
GR-RRR!
4,440 Posts
427 tails or go home!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
427 tails or go home!
If only I could trust JHP to send me a set that aren't messed up like the ones you received before and had to return...

·
GR-RRR!
4,440 Posts
If only I could trust JHP to send me a set that aren't messed up like the ones you received before and had to return...
Yeah, I don't think that's possible anymore. They were told by HSV that they were not going to make any more of them. I just got super duper lucky that someone was selling a mint slightly used pair a while back.

You could ask JHP to send you close up photos of the best pair they have and see if they are acceptable. But for me, at that price, they have to be flawless and the set I got from them was far from flawless.

And I just checked, they even have raised the price on them again!

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
Yup, available and higher priced. That said, new 06 tails are $600 a set, so it is what it is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it's the light smoke from headlight armor. Not the greatest stuff and I'm looking at other light smoke tint options. It has a lot of orange peel to it and the edges collect dirt. If you tint these you need to sand and buff off the raised lettering that is molded into the lens.
Did the sanding of the raised lettering impair the clarity of the lens in that location? I just received my tail lights and headlight armor in the mail.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lights are in, I like the look a lot! Fitment is decent compared to my 06 tails. HeadlightArmor 50% smoked film yet to be put on.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
Lights are in, I like the look a lot! Fitment is decent compared to my 06 tails. HeadlightArmor 50% smoked film yet to be put on.
Looks good, I changed out the orange bulb with a stealth bulb, still blinks orange but it doesn't fill up that part of tail light orange.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Looks good, I changed out the orange bulb with a stealth bulb, still blinks orange but it doesn't fill up that part of tail light orange.
Did you do that for the brake light too? Not even sure if that's illegal. I don't mind the orange bulb since the car is orange. We'll see how it looks with the headlight armor over it

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
Did you do that for the brake light too? Not even sure if that's illegal. I don't mind the orange bulb since the car is orange. We'll see how it looks with the headlight armor over it
The brake light bulb is clear, so didn't do that one just the amber bulbs for the stealth look, but with your car being orange they look good with orange bulbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The brake light bulb is clear, so didn't do that one just the amber bulbs for the stealth look, but with your car being orange they look good with orange bulbs.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how my Spyder smoked headlights will look with the orange bulb as well.

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
Mine are not totally blacked on ones, I have had them for years, fitment was perfect. I put in stealth bulbs to eliminate the yellow bulbs.
Still trying to find new 06 tail lights though.
I just installed a set of these yesterday, and was pretty disappointed to find they had a harness with the tail lights... why can't I just use the original? Oh, that's why... the sockets don't fit the new tail lights. Why did you do that, DEPO?!?

Anyway, I was able to transfer over my LED brake and back-up bulbs, but not the turn signal bulb because the new socket has the notches on the side staggered just a little too much.

So, what's the new turn signal bulb for the DEPOs? What stealth bulb did you buy? Specifically, what was the bulb number?

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
I just installed a set of these yesterday, and was pretty disappointed to find they had a harness with the tail lights... why can't I just use the original? Oh, that's why... the sockets don't fit the new tail lights. Why did you do that, DEPO?!?

Anyway, I was able to transfer over my LED brake and back-up bulbs, but not the turn signal bulb because the new socket has the notches on the side staggered just a little too much.

So, what's the new turn signal bulb for the DEPOs? What stealth bulb did you buy? Specifically, what was the bulb number?
I believe for the DEPO light is was a chrome 1157a bulb. The pins on the 1157a bulb are offset.
The standard bulb is 1156a is regular tail lights and the pins are not offset.

I would have to pull one of my bulbs to confirm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts