LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
I believe for the DEPO light is was a chrome 1157a bulb. The pins on the 1157a bulb are offset.
The standard bulb is 1156a is regular tail lights and the pins are not offset.

I would have to pull one of my bulbs to confirm.
I have some other LED bulbs laying around, let me take a look and see if I can tell the difference between the various bulbs first. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Lights are in, I like the look a lot! Fitment is decent compared to my 06 tails. HeadlightArmor 50% smoked film yet to be put on.
What lights aree these? I'm looking for something like this. Matter of fact i've been looking this morning and i just ordered new GM fog lights. Trying to restore the car to like new appearance.

Anyone got some 06 looking tails in good shape for sale, hit me up. I'm ready to buy something.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I just installed a set of these yesterday, and was pretty disappointed to find they had a harness with the tail lights... why can't I just use the original? Oh, that's why... the sockets don't fit the new tail lights. Why did you do that, DEPO?!?

Anyway, I was able to transfer over my LED brake and back-up bulbs, but not the turn signal bulb because the new socket has the notches on the side staggered just a little too much.

So, what's the new turn signal bulb for the DEPOs? What stealth bulb did you buy? Specifically, what was the bulb number?
so just the turn signal bulb is different for the depot lights? I can live with that if so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What lights aree these? I'm looking for something like this. Matter of fact i've been looking this morning and i just ordered new GM fog lights. Trying to restore the car to like new appearance.

Anyone got some 06 looking tails in good shape for sale, hit me up. I'm ready to buy something.
Here is the eBay link to the ones you see on my car:

https://www.ebay.com/i/401574765857?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=401574765857&targetid=475515326541&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9052331&poi=&campaignid=1669934840&mkgroupid=65058350539&rlsatarget=pla-475515326541&abcId=1139296&merchantid=6354204&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDKp9ON4EvsY4jbr_ixjIcv3WQXEN7BmuSCPyAp_ASTOqoUe4Ee4_FRoCV0oQAvD_BwE

Here is the eBay link to the same tail lights on my car that also come with the smoked side markers, which I also have on my car:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjUxaO_usvjAhVK1sAKHU4eASMYABAKGgJpbQ&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2vWnDJnebr-SeYvORr781&sig=AOD64_0weCZuSB_AbNXiGAV7PDmYOMcS7g&ctype=70&q=&ved=2ahUKEwih_Ja_usvjAhUJXK0KHX2iCB8Qwg96BAgKEAc&adurl=https://www.ebay.com/i/401376188547?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=401376188547&targetid=541454249412&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9052331&poi=&campaignid=1881303766&mkgroupid=70056983957&rlsatarget=aud-622524041678:pla-541454249412&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6354204&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDCAqby_kes0NXe5mP9o3vl6buh7MaYNc3lug9KoKzOYgGsQ6EowqExoCz24QAvD_BwE

Here is the link to the same style tail lights on my car, except they are black/red (called 427) instead of black/clear, they seem to be quite a bit more expensive and they look quite similar to my 06 tails that I just removed:

https://jhpss.com/shop/exterior-accessories/pontiac-gto-427-monaro-black-tail-lamps/

Here is eBay Australia link for the 427s, I think:

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Holden-VT-VX-Commodore-97-02-Black-ALTEZZA-Tail-Lights-Lamps-HSV-MONARO/611306224?iid=131880351889&rt=nc

Here is the eBay Australia link for LED tails, I don't know anything about fitment and/or wiring compatibility details:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMODORE-MONARO-VT-VX-SEDAN-BLACK-LED-ALTEZZA-TAIL-LIGHTS-PAIR-NEW/143157094847?hash=item2154d3e9bf:g:1RwAAOSw4HVWFKYG

Happy hunting!

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
No, not 427 tails. Those are Depo tails, same ones you can get right here in the US. Real Holden/HSV 427 tails are very expensive and they are no longer made so can be really hard to find. JHP sells them now while they still have some stock on hand but in my personal experience they are all flawed. At least the ones they sent me were and they said they didn't have any better ones when I returned them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No, not 427 tails. Those are Depo tails, same ones you can get right here in the US. Real Holden/HSV 427 tails are very expensive and they are no longer made so can be really hard to find. JHP sells them now while they still have some stock on hand but in my personal experience they are all flawed. At least the ones they sent me were and they said they didn't have any better ones when I returned them.
Oh good catch, what are the differences then? Is the JHP link I posted the correct link?

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
The JHP link has the real deal 427 tails. The Depo tails are an aftermarket knockoff product, not made by GM/Holden. The texture in the lenses is quite different. I can't speak to the quality of materials or the build or the fitment as I've never had a set of them myself, but others have been quite happy with them.

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
so just the turn signal bulb is different for the depot lights? I can live with that if so.
Yeah, I swapped over my LED brake/tail and LED back up bulbs.

So, I looked through my collection of bulbs, I don't know what this turn signal bulb is. It's not that the little locator knobs are offset vertically like some bulbs, they're not directly across from one another. If you look at the bulb from the bottom with one knob at 12 o'clock, the other knob isn't at 6 o'clock, it's around 5 or 7, can't remember now. If the 1157a does that, that's what I need. However, I don't think that's the case. I'm at a loss for now, I may end up having to modify the Depo housing to accept the old socket, then splice it in. Why, Depo? Why did you do this?

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
The Holden built 427 tails have the same issue. I would guess, for whatever reason, Euro/Australian sockets use a bulb with slightly offset locator tabs for the amber bulbs. I would guess this was done so white and amber bulbs couldn't be interchangeable. But in the US we do it differently. You can chase down bulbs that fit or modify the socket to allow for US style bulbs to go in.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
377 Posts
To the O.P.

There was a guy running around (locally) with a '04 QSM with those tail lights, but I haven't seen him in quite a while. I never got a picture of them, but they did look pretty cool in his car!

This is one of the set's I have yet to get (I currently have 7 different sets of tails...not pictured are the '04 tails and a 1-off set set I am making from an imported set from Aussie Land)

Pic#1: Holden VX Tails

Pic#2: OEM "06 Tails

Pic#3: Depot LED Tail Lights (Discontinued)

Pic#4: Holden VT Tails (These do NOT have a back up / reverse light)

Pic#5: - This was a set I imported from Aussieland, which is NOT street legal in the US...but DO have all 3 lights - reverse, turn and stop lights

There are still 6 more sets I'd like to get (including the set you are asking about).

Attachments

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
For anyone looking to led the turn signal bulb in the future, I believe the bulb is a 581 or bau15s. It has locator pins at 150 degrees rather than 180 degrees.

Also, the new forum format sucks.

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
To the O.P.

There was a guy running around (locally) with a '04 QSM with those tail lights, but I haven't seen him in quite a while. I never got a picture of them, but they did look pretty cool in his car!

This is one of the set's I have yet to get (I currently have 7 different sets of tails...not pictured are the '04 tails and a 1-off set set I am making from an imported set from Aussie Land)

Pic#1: Holden VX Tails

Pic#2: OEM "06 Tails

Pic#3: Depot LED Tail Lights (Discontinued)

Pic#4: Holden VT Tails (These do NOT have a back up / reverse light)

Pic#5: - This was a set I imported from Aussieland, which is NOT street legal in the US...but DO have all 3 lights - reverse, turn and stop lights

There are still 6 more sets I'd like to get (including the set you are asking about).
Don't forget about the 427 tails. But good luck finding a set anymore.

·
377 Posts

·
377 Posts
One of these day's I'll run across a set of those. I always tend to be a few days late in seeing the ads (when they come up for sale).
For now, I have enough on my plate, as far as the GTO goes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
well to anyone reading this, I'm looking for some new or used depo 06 style lights. Pm me if you have some that you want to sell.
I have smoked 06 OEM tails if you are interested. PM me if so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm having a very difficult time snapping the tail lights in. Do you pull off the bottom black "tab" and snap it into the mounting hole before pushing the housing into it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have an extra set of the DEPO black/clears if anyone is interested.

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
Following up on this, the Dorman turn signal bulb is a BAU15S bulb for those who want to do LED turn signals. BAU15S is very similar to 1156, but the pins are located at 150deg rather than 180deg. I swapped in an electric flasher and these bulbs, no issues.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts