LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Remove both airbox and the front plastic scoop. The front plastic scoop has a little triangular area where it touches the frame. Grab a black permanent marker and outline this triangular area so you know how the scoop inserts back inside the car. This part is painful.

2. Study how the 2 pieces fit each other carefully. To drill 2 3 inch holes that correspond to each other, it takes careful planning.

3. Study the empty spot where all these things came from. Notice how the frame has all kinds of holes that communicate with the hot engine bay. It is best to seal these holes with insulation foam. There is one hole you need to leave alone. It is directly above the wheel fender. Your CAI can draw air from this area.

4. Make sure you have all the materials. I went to Home Depot and bought a hole saw, a rubber quick plumb duct, adhesive backed insulation foam, etc.

5. Once you have outlined all your holes, drill the new holes in both the airbox and the front scoop. I then put everything back in place and connected the 2 new holes with the rubber quick plumb duct and sealed around the edges with the insulation foam so the rubber duct does not move.

6."Extra" things that I did that you don't have to do: I fashioned a small scoop and connected it in that wheel fender hole to draw cool air into the scoop. I also placed several sheets of fiberglass in the bottom of the airbox, and the wall facing the engine bay on the outside and secured them all around with adhesive backed insulation foam to further insulate the airbox from the heat.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
picture of finished product

here is one variation...

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I said outline the triangular area in the car frame, this is what I meant.

So you know exactly where the front scoop rests when putting it all back together again. That front scoop is a PITA to put back in. You have to bend it in so many ways to reinsatll the damn thing...

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some more pics

Here are some more pics of the 2nd hole CAI mod:

Did any of you folks do this mod during the Labor Day holiday weekend?

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
DG - couldn't get started without your tutelage.

Thanks - now I get it. Looks like a PITA, but doable.

What gains to the Aussie's claim from this mod?? Has it been quantified??

THANKS again. I'm on it...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
1coolpc did something similar a while back, but instead of 2 separate holes, he merged them into 1 oblong hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts