LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Chickun maka lousy houspet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my compilation of several years of looking and saving pictures of the Holden Monaro / CV8 / Pontiac GTO. I will often refer to these cars as the VX/VZ platform for my convenience. It's much easier to do that than type in the myriad of names this platform had in the multiple countries it was imported to.

I'm an auto enthusiast, who absolutely LOVES these cars. I'm an avid car guy, my preferred make is Pontiac, but like all kinds of makes and models. I feel, this car is truely unique in thatthere are SO MANY choices, when it comes to factory and aftermarket parts.

When I have time, I will be posting MORE threads of the various parts may speak volumes as to how much I feel this car is SO awesome and significant....but I digress. Here is the list of side skirts, which I have compiled over the years.

If ANYONE wants to add to this post 馃憠 馃憠 馃憠 PLEASE, post up what you have. I encourage it!

Reactions: Westphal

Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BASE Monaro / 2004 GTO:

What is most notable about this bumper is the fact it has a single side exit for the exhaust. Though this featured a true 'dual' exhaust, many U.S. buyers were not too fanatical about the single side exhaust, The GTO always had 2 exhaust tips, one on each side. IN the U.S. market, this decision by G.M. to release a GTO with a sungle sided exhaust (and NO hood scoops) was VERY detrimental to the brand.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Reactions: whippersnapper02

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BASE Monaro / 2004 GTO rear bumper mods:

Various companies made it so you could have dual side exits for the 2004 GTO. I'm not sure what the company names are, but here is a short list of what was available. This is an example of the rear bumper cutouts:

Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive lighting

....and here is an example of an extension for the rear bumper:

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
2005 / 2006 GTO / CV8 rear bumper insert:

Mavman (W/ Diffuser):

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

Automotive design Font Composite material Fashion accessory Eye glass accessory

Mavman (W/O Diffuser):

Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Norm's Rear Insert (W/ GTO logo):

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

Holden Monaro / JHP:

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Reactions: whippersnapper02

Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Holden CV8 / GTO / GTS / GTR :

Single side exhaust:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Sky Wheel Vehicle Car Tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Wheel

Duel side exhaust / Coupe'4 :

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Repliglass C2R lower bumper extension:

As of this post, it is still being made and available for sale:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

鈽 鈽 鈽 Not to confused with the V2 rear bumper

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting

...Sorry guys. This is going to take a while for me to finish

Attachments

Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
...without further adeiu....

SPORT APPERANCE PACKAGE (S.A.P.):

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Wheel

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
RK SPORT:

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Rhys Millen (RMR):

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Infrastructure

Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
REVENGE (Lingenfelter):

One notable feature of this rear bumper is the center exhaust. There is also a different fender flare, which is specific to this car. There were only 15 Lingenfelter Revenge GTO's produced.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the final spot I'm saving for this post

GR-RRR!
Though this featured a true 'dual' exhaust, many U.S. buyers were not too fanatical about the single side exhaust, The GTO always had 2 exhaust tips, one on each side. IN the U.S. market, this decision by G.M. to release a GTO with a single sided exhaust (and NO hood scoops) was VERY detrimental to the brand.
And yet, Pontiac sold more 04 GTOs than they did 05 GTOs or 06 GTOs. So that single side exhaust outlet didn't exactly kill sales. The whole two-side exhaust outlets and lack of hood scoops issues were, I think, completely blown out of proportion by the automotive equivalent of Monday morning armchair quarterbacks. It would seem those who were critics of the lack of these features were not part of the buying audience or at least didn't overly influence the buying audience. Even though apparently Pontiac was convinced to make sure these features were included in subsequent 05 and 06 GTOs, it didn't seem to make such a difference that the public actually bought more of them.

Administrator
Sales numbers are sort of irrelevant as they sold everyone they could allot to make (eventually with huge discounts to move the 04鈥檚 that no one would buy). GM 鈥渟old鈥 less 05 and 06鈥檚 purely because they reduced the output to hopefully avoid what happened to the 04鈥檚 and the lackluster enthusiasm for them. Even then, 05鈥檚 and 06鈥檚 sat on dealer lots.

I know people who paid in the teens for a brand new 04 during the fire sale by GM to get them off dealer lots.

Reactions: GTO_04

Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to need a few more

Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here's another I'll need

GR-RRR!
Sales numbers are sort of irrelevant as they sold everyone they could allot to make (eventually with huge discounts to move the 04鈥檚 that no one would buy). GM 鈥渟old鈥 less 05 and 06鈥檚 purely because they reduced the output to hopefully avoid what happened to the 04鈥檚 and the lackluster enthusiasm for them. Even then, 05鈥檚 and 06鈥檚 sat on dealer lots.

I know people who paid in the teens for a brand new 04 during the fire sale by GM to get them off dealer lots.
They had set a maximum of 18,000 for each model year (agreement with the UAW which allowed them to be imported) and they only built and sold 15,740 in 04, 11,069 in 05 and 13,948 in 06. Point being, they could have built and sold many more of them had the demand been there. I'm still shocked they didn't sell out each and every model year they were made. 18k a year is a really small number in the American market.

I do recall seeing some new 06's in online inventories in late calendar year 2007 (might have even been early 2008). Those dealers apparently were not willing to dicker down the price, thus they continued to sit. The Pontiac dealers were really a large part of the problem. They started early with the introduction of the 04 with many dealers adding huge mark ups before they were even on the lots and not allowing test drives before buying. Pretty sure that all backfired on them pretty quickly but I suppose a few folks who had to have one got suckered into paying a premium.

Administrator
I lived it all. Nothing you鈥檙e saying is anything I don鈥檛 already know, but yup, the demand wasn鈥檛 there so Holden reduced the target (maximum never changed as that was a hard contract number) output after the 04 fiasco.

Let鈥檚 let this guy have his thread back though as it seems he may have wanted our dialog spots for his pictures. I鈥檝e asked him if he wants me to delete our discussion so there isn鈥檛 a gap in his pics as he鈥檚 able to upload them, so don鈥檛 be alarmed if our posts vanish.

Reactions: Rich-Tripower

Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
DO NOT delete it...PLEASE!

Someday, someone may see this thread in the future. I'd rather have that person read from the perspective of people who lived it, than some random person who made stuff up, so they could write an article based on some opinion, only to be Insta or Facebook-famous.

My father was in P.O.C.I. and helped put on a few conventions and was a founder of the 60 Owners Society within P.O.C.I.. He was a recipient of the Red Quill award, which I didn't know about until after he passed away in 2021. In his working with the car club, he was able to meet and have lengthy conversations with the likes of John DeLorean, Rusty Wallice, Bob Lutz, Smokey Yunick and Arnie Beswick. When these guys would talk about the corporate B.S. they had to deal with, it is no wonder the brand died. It is actually amazing to me, Pontiac survived the 80's and 90's.

Take a quick gander at this car and tell me what it looks like.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Now, we Pontiac guy's should know what this is. Some who aren't informed would call this the Banshee. Certainly, it was eventually renamed that in 1965, but it started out as the 1964 XP-833 concept car. It was fitted with the sprint inline 6 (hence the bulge in the hood) Eventually, this was being pushed (and pushed HARD) to be Pontiac's sports car, to compete with the Corvette. GmM. corporate was VERY slow at O.K.ing the design because the influencers at Chevy understood, this would have gotten the reworked 428 that was being researched and made to be Pontiac's "Go-To" high performance motor. It may or may not have had an overhead cam design, or even a power adder (supercharger) on the smaller V8's (read about the "McKellar 421" or look at the 1960 XP-400, which had a supercharged 389).

This car would have been a complete and utter MONSTER...and the guys at Chevy knew it.

Now, can you imagine how YOU would feel, after spending 3 LONG years on a project and having it dumped. Imagine if 1,000 days of your life was consumed by designing, improving and building the '833 concept, when guys at Chevy revealed the ALL NEW and completely redesigned '68 Corvette....

(this is the 1968 corvette)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Forehead Glasses Vision care Tie Dress shirt

When my dad told me this story, he said the word that stood out (which he used air quotes around when he said it) was 馃憠 "animosity" 馃憟. For those who 'aren't in the know':

馃憞 馃憞 馃憞 馃憞
def. ANIMOSITY : (noun) extreme disdain, dislike, hatred, or hostility towards another.

---------

WOW!!! That was a weird tangent...huh?

Anyway, the history should and need to be told by the people who were there. I understand, some can't (because they aren't around anymore), but this is why I'm making these threads in the first place. Someday, someone is going to come across some oddball part for one of these cars and NOBODY will be around to tell them what it is. Having a few pictures and whatever info WE ALL can contribute will make that persons life a little easier. I feel, this is OUR responsibility to help this person the best way we can.

GR-RRR!
I know there is a separate similar thread about SAP equipment, but a post with photos of the SAP rear bumper in this thread would be appropriate (and probably already on your list to include).

I know these are redundant to your pictures above, but here are my 06 and 04 rears. As far as the bumpers are concerned they are bone stock. The exhaust tips look stock but are actually aftermarket catbacks. Magnaflow for the 06 and SLP for the 04.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts