LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Chickun maka lousy houspet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the one I have been DREADING to do. I have 17 files, where I can absolutely confirm the tail lights exist. Unfortunately, I know my files are incomplete, and I figured there are around 20+ different versions of tail lights from around the globe, which were available. I personally owned (past tense) 7 different variants, but decided to modify a set of VT tails w/ amber turn signal.

Many of the older tail light verions have been discontinued :-( . On occasion, an oddball shows up and people make up stories about what they actually are. Plus, with the prices and scarcity of the VX / VZ platform, I feel it would be a good idea to create some sort of a catalog / discription of them. I feel, if nobody makes tis thread of parts, what they are and who they were made by and such, the information will be lost.

IAs always, if anyone has additional info on ANY of this, PLEASE post up what you know. I WELCOME ANY INPUT!!!

I'd also like to add, I am NOT an expert on these parts. This is simply what I have found in (close to) a decade of compiling this record. I 'borrowed' photo's from the interwebs and "Book of Faces". Again, if any info is incorrect, PLEASE let me know!!! If you have ANYTHING to add 馃憠 馃憠 DO IT!!!

Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
STOCK Monaro (2000 to 2005) GTO (2004 - 2005):

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, this is BY FAR, the most common tail light for this platform.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Amber Rectangle

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
STOCK CV8 / Blood Red Tails:

Basically, these are the same as the previous ones, but the back side of the red lens has been blacked out. They are a nice transition to the later factory tail light version

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Light Plant

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
STOCK 2006 GTO:

I know these were not exclusive to the Pontiac GTO, but I can't recall which Holden they came on. These are almost the same as the earlier versions (listed above),except wth a clear lens and the backing painted flat black. They feature a chrome coated cup for each of the lights, which gives a nice contrast to the black. From the right angle, these tail lights also compliment the exhaust tips.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the 427 tail lights, which are VERY RARE (in the U.S., Australia and around the world). In order to comply with the U.S. Dept of Trans., these were fitted with a red reflector, on the lateral most part of the part. The 427's did NOT have this reflector.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
427's / Holden HSV GTO:

Unlike the Stock 2006 Pontiac GTO tail lights, theseDO NOT have the red reflector on the outside / lateral most portion of the tail light. These tail lights ae EXCEEDINGLY RARE and sell for quite a bit of $$$ - when and 馃憠 IF 馃憟 they ever come up for sale.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Handwriting

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Holden VX TAIL LIGHTS:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Cloud Tire

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Holden "Blood Red" Vx Tail Lights:

Then someone got the idea to convert the VX's in a similar style to the CV8 tail lights. By removing the outer lens, masking and using black tint on the inside of the lens, you get a completely different look to these lights.

Here's a comparo between the two versions of the same tail light:

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Light Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

I'm actuallysurprised someone hasn't taken a set of these and used a clear lens over the tail light, blacked out the background in flat black and used some sort of a red lens over the "brake light" (sort of what they did with the 2006 GTO / 427 type of look).

Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ALTEZZA Style (chrome):

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive light bulb

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle

Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ALTEZZA Style (black):

I've seen people online try to pass these off as 427's. Again, these are similar, but have a chrome ring in the area of the brake light. There is a smaller red lens and the pattern in the actual red plastic lens is different than the 427's. in the advertising picture, they are sort of similar, but in person, that red brake light lens is markedly different - especially if you're not looking straight at it from the back. From a bit of a sideview, the inner chrome ring is very noticable.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Car Automotive parking light Light

Automotive tail & brake light Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
DEPOT TAIL LIGHTS (Black):

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Light Amber Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
DEPOT TAIL LIGHTS (chrome):

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
DEPOT LED TAIL LIGHT (chrome):

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting White

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Light Automotive parking light Tableware

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
CLEAR VT:

These are NOT U.S. DOT legal

Automotive parking light Grille Car Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Holden VT TAIL LIGHTS (amber turn signal):

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Sky

Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Holden VT TAIL LIGHTS (clear turn signal):

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive parking light Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
STAR TREK TAILS:

I wasn't sure what to call these, but the backup and reverse parts look like the Star Trek symbol. These were not available state side, but could be imported. I've seen maybe a handful of pictures with these tail lights in the car.

Automotive lighting Product Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Automotive design

Triangle Font Symbol Logo Circle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Guitar accessory

STAR TREK TAILS (chrome):

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Headlamp Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm probbaly wromg, but I recall there being tail lights for sale on eBay with a chrome or silver pinstripe around the outer edge (see below). I don''t have much info. other than that. I'm not sure if someone (this guy) was selling his, or if this was something a company made for a while...馃し鈥嶁檪锔...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

From what I read in the thread, he sold the aftermarket ones . . . 鈽 . . . and reinstalled the OEM ones . . . 馃憞 . . .both look like they have pinstripes on them.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

Registered
If you like spending time on Australian eBay, and want something different, but pretty easy to add, these work fine if you can find them. Simple bolt-ons except for the tag attachment, which you are going to have to fabricate. I added the PONTIAC letters from a 65 or 66 GTO for nostalgic effect, and painted the centers blue to match
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate
e
Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 21 Posts