LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I thought the weight of the gto (3800+lbs) would be similar to that of the vauxhill monaro. From the website provided the monaro weighed at 1658 kg / 3655.3 lbs, making it lighter than the gto. Why is this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The UK Monaro is almost identical to the Australian Monaro .

Both cars are 1658 kg (3655.26lbs) for the manual version.

Maybe the moving of the petrol tank has involved more fabrication and hence more weight in the GTO?

Also you have some body changes like the front end and you have a rear spoiler, it all adds up.

But to counter that the GTO has 350bhp not 333bhp that is until the 390bhp HSV version arrives in June which will be called the VXR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
uk hsv said:
The UK Monaro is almost identical to the Australian Monaro .

Both cars are 1658 kg (3655.26lbs) for the manual version.

Maybe the moving of the petrol tank has involved more fabrication and hence more weight in the GTO?

Also you have some body changes like the front end and you have a rear spoiler, it all adds up.

But to counter that the GTO has 350bhp not 333bhp that is until the 390bhp HSV version arrives in June which will be called the VXR.
Bear in mind that horsepower calculations are, I believe, calculated differently in Europe than in the U.S.

With regard to weight, I can only say that a recent news report said that America's obesity problem may actually cause the current generation to live shorter lives then their parents. Perhaps our cars have been taken through the McDonald's drive-thru so often that they have had a sympathetic weight gain! :D

Seriously, some of that may have to do with saftey mandates (crash worthiness and whether bumpers had to be beefed up) or whether the weight was calculated with a full tank of gas and all fluids topped off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts