LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some AFR ads and in the inital description on their website they state that the heads are emissions legal. But on some dealer sites and further down the page on the AFR website they state that they are not leagl for use on pollution controlled vehicles in the US.

I emailed them over the weekend, but I'm pretty used to vendors/mfgs not answering emails from the general public even when the put the address on their sites. I was wondering if any dealers, etc, that surf this site know the inside scoop.

tyvm,
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
tminer said:
In some AFR ads and in the inital description on their website they state that the heads are emissions legal. But on some dealer sites and further down the page on the AFR website they state that they are not leagl for use on pollution controlled vehicles in the US.

I emailed them over the weekend, but I'm pretty used to vendors/mfgs not answering emails from the general public even when the put the address on their sites. I was wondering if any dealers, etc, that surf this site know the inside scoop.

tyvm,
Tom
They have all the particulars to be legal, however they do not have the CARB listing...

Just awaiting my pallet shipment for even more details... :thumbs:

Ed
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
The cam is generally more the determining factor in emissions compliance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, it often is money too. I'm looking for "official" compliance, I think it is called an E.O. number (like CARB listing, but for the rest of the states). I'm not too hung up on it, but would prefer to be emission legal if I can. I grew up under the influence of Eddie Albert, et al.

Tom
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
No problem, I completely understand. I live under the emissions Nazi's too here in Chicago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
tminer said:
Unfortunately, it often is money too. I'm looking for "official" compliance, I think it is called an E.O. number (like CARB listing, but for the rest of the states). I'm not too hung up on it, but would prefer to be emission legal if I can. I grew up under the influence of Eddie Albert, et al.

Tom

Yes. Thing is if the car passes emissions tests, nobody will ever see that heads or cam are swapped. No converters, headers etc are a different deal. Here they just plug something into the OBD port and if the computer says all is ok it passes, assuming the converters its are visually present. Older cars do a dyno exhaust emissions test. If it passes nobody ever looks under the hood. I guess all states are different and maybe CA the worst.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
No problem, I completely understand. I live under the emissions Nazi's too here in Chicago.
Same shit here in Milwaukee too. :slap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
No problem, I completely understand. I live under the emissions Nazi's too here in Chicago.

Yeah, damn emissions Nazi's. (shakin fist)


Thats why I dont want to do to much to my car. From what Ive been told, here in Chicago if we fail the test to many times, they have the right to repo our cars. So Ive heard.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
hada64 said:
Yes. Thing is if the car passes emissions tests, nobody will ever see that heads or cam are swapped. No converters, headers etc are a different deal. Here they just plug something into the OBD port and if the computer says all is ok it passes, assuming the converters its are visually present. Older cars do a dyno exhaust emissions test. If it passes nobody ever looks under the hood. I guess all states are different and maybe CA the worst.
That's the OBDII scan test. It looks for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and checks all readiness monitors. We've had it for awhile here and now Wisconsin does it too (I have cars that get tested in both states). :D

This OBDII test is for all 96+ cars and for those lucky Californian's who got OBDII in '95. For awhile here, if you failed the scan test, it was your decision to do the IM240 roller test. That has since been phased out though.

They do the gas cap (evaporative system test) and then the scan test. The scan shouldn't take more than 30 seconds and voila, you're done and passed. :)
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Holeshot said:
Same shit here in Milwaukee too. :slap:
Yea, I've got the Monte registered in Kenosha, so I get to take it there. :) As I mentioned, they do the simple OBDII test now also. What's nice in cheeseland is that after you pass the test, you can go pay for your annual registration at the same time.

Speed, I've never heard anything like that. There are many guys, myself included with heads & cam as well as stroker motors that have passed the test. My Camaro was in the lane for less than a minute. It took longer to print out the "PASS" sheet than the actual test.

As long as you aren't generating DTC's, have converted any removed DTC's to a different type and all readiness monitors are in place, you can have a full tilt motor under the hood and they could care less.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
In Ohio, they only do emission testing in certain (urban) counties. Everyone goes on the rollers. If the emissions are below a certain threshold, it gets a "quick pass", if not, it goes through the whole routine, about 5 minutes. Several locations have been busted for accepting bribes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top