LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
street terrorist
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this could be an oxymoron, but whats the best way to get the most ammount of gains or air flow from a quiet system?

From what I understand, it's best to keep the stock catback, with upgraded headers. When I go FI(procharger) I'm going to need headers, but I don't want it to be much louder than my car is right now with the axle-back off.

I'm thinking catless headers with everything else stock, including the mufflers on. Or will this be much louder than I'm aiming for?

·
Registered
125 Posts
with the lt's go magnaflow the quietest and best ive heard catless with long tubes. you could use the the stock cat back but without cats it will be a little raspy and crappy sounding but thats just my opinion

·
Love my Robyn
278 Posts
+1 here on the quiet Magnaflow. I've heard clips and it sounds stock, I've "heard and been told" that most of the s/s catbacks have about the same hp/torq gains.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
i was gonna do lt's and no cats , and do a x or h pipe and keep the stock mufflers

but then i keep thinking of doing the exhaust the way GM shoulda done it , by putting the mufflers ahead head of the axle(like the 04's) and just running the tail pipes out in the rear location

my 68 elcamino is that way and ive got 3chamber flowmasters , and love the way it sounds

to me the mufflers not having enough pipe after them makes the exhaust sound to raspy

·
seppuku rights activist
4,317 Posts
daveinsa has LTs, cam, heads...etc with the magnaflow catback and xpipe. Not very loud at all but sounds good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
so the magnaflow is not even louder than stock? how can it be? you'r geting rid of a resonator and going to straight thru mufflers vs baffled (I think)...or are you comparing at idle...if the idle is at stock level but he WOT is louder than that's actually what I'm looking for...I cant stream at work so I'll go home and listen to it on the mag. web site...
am I wrong ?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
From someone who has been there.

Leave the stock catback in place. You will lose some HP so it's a trade off.

Borla, was too loud but sounded great, SW Turbo sounded just right but was too much of a restriction, JBA is working good but the idle sounds like ass.

Once you get the blower on the volume increases 10 fold. So unless you go hear a car that is closer to your configuration it will sound different, especially at 4 grand and up.

A few guys are at 500HP with the stock 05/06 catback so it flows enough to that point.

With the Borla you could hear me an easy mile way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
magnaflow on a stock 05/06= slightly louder with differnent tone

magnaflow on a 05/06 with lt's and no cats= loud at wot quiet cruise
and idle

·
Registered
414 Posts
so what you all are saying is it's not worth the money for the slight change of tone on a stock 05-06, and the money would be better spend elsewhere (like my "was going to be my next mod" an hp tuner)...

·
Daily Driver
325 Posts
05torridred60 said:
magnaflow on a stock 05/06= slightly louder with differnent tone

magnaflow on a 05/06 with lt's and no cats= loud at wot quiet cruise
and idle
+1

Mine is "noticable" at startup, then when going down the road, light to light, it's a little louder. Once I get on it, :turbonaug

I don't have an resonation or anything. My "Magnaflow" is the stock piping, 6" bullet style Magnaflow mufflers and the Magnaflow x-pipe. Just remember, the Magnaflow and most other catbacks are 2.5" systems, which is the exact same thing as the stock diameter. Just have a muffler shop replace the 'crush pipe' areas with straight pipes. You'll be about $300 cheaper than a catback with the same gains, well at least mine came in $300 less than anyother catback I could find.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
ddawson said:
From someone who has been there.

Leave the stock catback in place.
He's right.

Yet, I'm trying again. Corsa goes on tomorrow. Be interested to see HOW this thing could tone it down. It's a 3" through pipe just like the dual 2 1/2's that I have now.

I want to minimize the rumble at highway speeds, and be civil 'round town. We all know what happens at WOT:gears:

·
Army Acquisition Corp Officer
499 Posts
71 Olds said:
+1

Just remember, the Magnaflow and most other catbacks are 2.5" systems, which is the exact same thing as the stock diameter.
I thought the stock diameter was 2.25 inches and that's what caused some restriction? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
I have catless LT's and everything else stock. Only a bit louder than stock. Sounds awsome IMO. Its not raspy....very nice rumbly sound.
Look, either way you are going to need headers. Get them first and see what you think. Advantage the '05/'06 exhaust has is the ability to swap/piece things in/out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
damon_Z said:
I thought the stock diameter was 2.25 inches and that's what caused some restriction? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The 04's are 2.25, 05's and 06's are 2.5 diameter.

·
Army Acquisition Corp Officer
499 Posts
Crockett said:
The 04's are 2.25, 05's and 06's are 2.5 diameter.
Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Kooks LT's (with cats) and magnaflow catback, and its quieter than stock.

·
I LOVE YOU PAP
864 Posts
RSR679 said:
Kooks LT's (with cats) and magnaflow catback, and its quieter than stock.
I'm sorry but i doubt this is true. I have Kooks Lts with the stock catback and my car is ALOT louder than the stock system. I can only imagine adding a magnaflow catback will make it even louder

·
1 of 40,757
6,482 Posts
The magnaflow catback is louder than stock just not by much at idle/off idle. At 2500rpm + its quite a bit louder. I think the only reason people say its quieter or same volume as stock is because they expect an aftermarket exhaust system to be quite a bit louder.

Personally after looking at the crushed pipes and the weight of the stock mufflers I wanted that stock, heavy, aluminized, junk out of there and didnt want crush bent pipes made by my local muffler guy in place of it. He does good work but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe the local guys will chime in here. John has an O4 with just an intake and its louder than mine. At higher RPM yes it is louder, but just at idle and cruising its serious quiet. I still have my stock SAP setup and have swaped back and forth.

I decided to keep the Mag. catback on because the SAP setup sounded too raspy with the LT's it is louder though believe it or not.

Anyway back to topic at hand, If your looking for a quality quiet setup Magnaflow is the way to go. Is it worth it for any performance gains? No

If I could do it again I would have deffinatly gotten the headers first.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts