LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to hook up a MP3 player to the stock headunit? I want to have a cable run to the cupholders where the MP3 player could plug in. Anyone ever done this?

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Yes, a lot of HU's have an auxillary input in the back these days.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chadwick said:
Is it possible to hook up a MP3 player to the stock headunit? I want to have a cable run to the cupholders where the MP3 player could plug in. Anyone ever done this?
If you want to use an AUX input on a head unit without an actual input, check out David Navone's N-724. It basically allows a user to plug the antena into it then it into the head unit. 35 bucks delivered to your door.

·
Former Owner but Still Here
451 Posts
straegen said:
If you want to use an AUX input on a head unit without an actual input, check out David Navone's N-724. It basically allows a user to plug the antena into it then it into the head unit. 35 bucks delivered to your door.
OK, so basically the old style (not wireless) FM modulator. Have you tried it? Do you have to run a separate ON/OFF switch up to the dash? I guess I want something that senses the signal and shuts off if there isn't one.

Also, does anyone know if there is another antenna connection at the rear window? My reception sucks and I want to check all the connections before I complain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kahn Man said:
OK, so basically the old style (not wireless) FM modulator. Have you tried it? Do you have to run a separate ON/OFF switch up to the dash? I guess I want something that senses the signal and shuts off if there isn't one.
It is the old style (new design that doesn't interfere with the radio when off) and yes I have tried it (not on this head unit) and it worked great. It does have a remote toggle switch so it doesn't meet that criteria, but it would be easy to mount the toggle switch out of the way. There may be an FM Modulator out there that does what you are asking, but I haven't seen one.

Kahn Man said:
Also, does anyone know if there is another antenna connection at the rear window? My reception sucks and I want to check all the connections before I complain.
Don't know... I have not seen any additional wires running to the rear for the antenna, but I don't have the entire car pulled apart yet.

If someone has the service manual, it will likely contain the answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also use the belkin unit, it's works PERFECTLY and it's cheap, you just leave the wires in the armrest. There is a gap under the lid, and you can run the wire out from there so that you have access to your MP3 player. It's an extremely elegant sollution, and much cheaper than messing around with installs. I usually just use my palmpilot as the player and it fits perfectly in the ashtray area ahead of the shifter.

·
Former Owner but Still Here
451 Posts
derdave said:
I also use the belkin unit, it's works PERFECTLY and it's cheap, you just leave the wires in the armrest. There is a gap under the lid, and you can run the wire out from there so that you have access to your MP3 player. It's an extremely elegant sollution, and much cheaper than messing around with installs. I usually just use my palmpilot as the player and it fits perfectly in the ashtray area ahead of the shifter.

You get good reception with the wireless modulator? Mine sucks and I can't figure out what is wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts