LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that with now over 11,000 miles on the car, my MPG on both highway and city has fallen drastically. The only mod I can blame this on is the MAF Ends, UNLESS somebody knows of something else.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
835 Posts
my mpg has fallen to about 18 recently from about 20. I think it has more to do with my driving though. 9500 miles on mine.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mine is steady at 6500miles

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Mine is getting better. I am averaging about 22.6 mpg now at 2100 miles on odometer.

Temps are cooling down where I live and I think my CAI is getting better and more efficient.

·
3X HIN Hottest Modern Muscle
1,028 Posts
Mine has fallen also. I have an a4 with about 10,900 miles and i am getting no better then 15.5 on the highway and 14.9 on city. It is really starting to suck down the gas now. I use to get about 18-19 on the highway, and 17 in the city.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
My gas mileage is inversely related to the square of the weight of my foot. :)

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Improved dramatically with 1,900 miles.

Installed CS Perf tube and went from ave 18 to ave 20.

·
Here come Da Judge
228 Posts
My mileage dropped off big time also. I know nothing about these cars but I saw a guy pull the red fuse to reset the PCM. So I thought reboot the computer and see what happens. I pulled the fuse for about 5 minute, put it back in and went for a drive. It took the mileage right back to where it started. Don’t know why or how but it did.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Stupid question - but could the loss of milage be related to the torque management systems on the A4 cars?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
rushhour said:
Stupid question - but could the loss of milage be related to the torque management systems on the A4 cars?
well florits got an M6. so i would guess no.

there doesn't seem to be any common factors, except that you are all above 10k miles. really odd.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Purely as a side issue, if you use the SI tube, inspect often, it will try to wiggle out. Florit and I have both had problems. I'm trying a few things to see if I can't 'stick' it in place. I think the pebbled external finish works against it here. Anyway, reason I post is I have noticed, not the first time it was wiggling out, but this time, that the mileage went to hell in a handbasket while it was allowing a small but increasing leak before enough MAFless air was ingested to set the code. Guess the idea is, mileage drops, carefully inspect tube and fittings.... :sneaky:

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
OG - thanks for the moral support, still feeling my way around all of this electronic gadetry. I just was wondering if the A4 torque management could be hurting milage once it started to really kick in and got sloppy with the shifts. I know my car wasn't worth a sh*t shifting after a while.

As an aside - James at RWTD just set up a new tune for mine. Took it out last night with my son to check the readings, the O2 sensors are showing a A/F of 12.8 to 13 now and the tranny shifts great (softer at low RPM's and then hard as nails at WOT). Have to recheck the LTFT's, plus KR during stop & go traffic has some very minor issues (may have been weather related hot & humid last night by the ocean). James gives you detailed instructions on what he wants checked, so he can make changes - while not a full dyno tune - it should be more then sufficent for my purposes. He is great to deal with. Hopefully this will help the gas milage issue, then again maybe not - since my foot will probably be depressed a lot more now.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
In order to get the mileage out of these things that they advertise, either you need to cruise along at a constant speed, or drive VERY conservatively. The reason for the great MPG on the M6 is due to it’s super low 6th gear. Problem is, around town, most people won’t see 6th gear often.

Now I know most here can’t resist and that might be part of the problem. MAF ends would make it temporarily leaner, therefore increasing your MPG’s. Once it adapted, it’d be close to the stock level as it enrichens accordingly.

TM would actually help fuel economy as it is backing off timing (I.E. Power) before, during and just after the shift.

I notice on this car in particular, that when I romp on it, MPG goes right in the sh*tter!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
In order to get the mileage out of these things that they advertise, either you need to cruise along at a constant speed, or drive VERY conservatively. The reason for the great MPG on the M6 is due to it’s super low 6th gear. Problem is, around town, most people won’t see 6th gear often.

I notice on this car in particular, that when I romp on it, MPG goes right in the sh*tter!
i cruise at 40mph in 6th gear all the time :p

yes, if you put the disply on "instant mpg" it does down th about 2 mpg when the pedal is to the floor. :bomb:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I do too, but I imagine most don't. Usually after a few romps, mine drops to about 14-15mpg and these guys are getting just above that. Which tells me there on it a little too! :D

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i average about 14mpg and 23 mph. but that is b/c there are about 6 stop signs. and 10 lights in the 4 mile trip to and from work. so i try to "coast" as much as possible to work. haha.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yes you would be "revealing" something about your driving habits. :D

Thankfully when I take mine out, I tend to drive it long enough for the oil to get warm. :D Right now it's hovering at 21mpg which is a mix of stop and go and highway speed (on the tollway) in the morning and evening.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CMNTMXR57 said:
...MAF ends would make it temporarily leaner, therefore increasing your MPG’s. Once it adapted, it’d be close to the stock level as it enrichens accordingly...
This brings up my next question... what good is tuning for "negative LTFTs" with HP Tuner if the car is going to "adapt" itself over time? Does this "adaptation" overwrite the changes I make using the HP Tuner software? If so, then I would need to upload the "performance tune" just before a race. Then I could either upload the "stock tune" or let the car "adapt" itself again.

By the way, when I say my mileage has dropped drastically, I mean from about 25 highway to 20 and from 15 city to 11. My driving style hasn't changed (much) and those MAF ends have been on the car for several weeks now.

Besides the MAF ends, the only other thing I can think of is that I am putting many, many more "highway" miles on the car, cruising in 6th at 78MPH, and romping through 4th, 5th, and 6th when I pass a semi (80 to 100 in mere seconds) then settling back down to 78MPH. OK, maybe that's why my highway mileage is sucking, but what about the city mileage? I probably drive much more CONSERVATIVELY in the city now than I used to. (My common sense finally caught up with my mid-life crisis.)

Anyway, I have the laptop this weekend and will be collecting tons of data. I'll let you guys know if I see anything screwy. Thanks for helping.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts