LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my M6 up about 6 weeks ago. I now have about 2500 miles on it.
My concern is that it seems like I am getting about 18 mpg with a mix of highway and around town. Now I am not concerned with getting high mpg with this car. That is not what it is for. I have noticed that when the computer is put on instant mode the highest it seems to record is about 21mpg in sixth gear at a range of speeds (55-80). The M6 is rated to get (I believe) 17 city and 29 highway. I cant get anywhere near 29 on a flat road with the cruise on. This only bothers me if the car could actually be running better. Maybe the computer is not callibrated correctly.

Anyone else having this problem?
Any ideas or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Who knows how the government calculates the mileage. I am also getting around 18 on average. The government figures were 16 and 21 with an average of 21.5. How does the average come out higher then the two numbers? I also checked the instant mileage with my A4 and on the highway with a steady 60 MPH the instantaneous mpg is around 25. In other words I have no idea if what you are seeing is normal or not??!!??
:drink: :drink:

·
Goatman
228 Posts
I also have a M6; I can get around 27-28 miles per gallon on the highway. Instantaneous around 30 MPG on flat ground doing 65 to 70. On average 22-23 MPG; more highway than city though.
I haven't use the cruise control. Try seeing what you can get w/o using the cruise control on the highway?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I have tried without the cruise with the same results.
6704gto that would tell me that I have some sort of problem.

I cannot get anywhere close to 30 on the instant.
Like I said though... I'm not trying to get good gas mileage.
I just want the car to run how it should... If the mileage is not
where it should be I could have a car that is not running at its best!

Thanks for the replies!

Ill post when and if it is figured out!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't forget Pdaktr may be using oxygenated gas like we have in the North East and others may not. I know it reduces my gas mileage a few MPG in the winter. Just a thought...

Shawn

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
I did a cruise on the highway and the computer calculated around 28 MPG for a 30 mile trip.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have an m6 and have seen no higher than 28 instant mpg and am averaging about 16 mpg total but I figured I just drive like a maniac.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel

I thought about the fuel. I am in the Detroit area. I don't think it would reduce it by that much though. I can only see 22-23 mpg. I have even tried slowing way down. My average is very low also... Mostly about 16-17.
Because I always have my foot jammed through the pedal... Fully enjoying what the car was made for!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
INSTANT fuel economy is not the same as average fuel economy. It's telling you what you will get at that instant if you maintain that driving condition and generally is more fluctuating due to it's dependency on current driving condition.

I had this feature on my Aurora as well as average fuel economy. THe INSTANT fuel economy was all over the place, whereas the average was pretty darn close to what I was actually computing manually and more stable/consistent.

In winter here in Chicago, all gas stores have to use a RFG gas which doesn't burn as efficient as non-rfg fuel as well as temperature. Fuel doesn't atomize as well at 20 degrees as it does at 70, hence some excess consumption.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Your instant can range a lot. I see anywhere from 12 to 35 on the highway. If I keep is steady, 70-80, on fairly level ground it usually reads in the 25-28 range.
I would check your computer average to your computed average. If those are different then you should get the car checked.

I'm averaging 47 mph and 19.8 mpg.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
Oxygenated Gas.. Nothing like having to use that shit in Phoenix where it's 60 degrees in January.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just did the 700 mile round trip from San Diego to Vegas and back and averaged 20.7 MPG for the trip which was mostly highway driving. You drive through a couple of mountain ranges so there are varied road conditions. Mine is an A4.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
GTOME said:
Most of my driving is back roads. Average mpg is between 13.6- 14.
:eek: thats a bummer. But i guess i just depends on how heavy your foot is :D :drink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pdaktr said:
I picked my M6 up about 6 weeks ago. I now have about 2500 miles on it.
My concern is that it seems like I am getting about 18 mpg with a mix of highway and around town. Now I am not concerned with getting high mpg with this car. That is not what it is for. I have noticed that when the computer is put on instant mode the highest it seems to record is about 21mpg in sixth gear at a range of speeds (55-80). The M6 is rated to get (I believe) 17 city and 29 highway. I cant get anywhere near 29 on a flat road with the cruise on. This only bothers me if the car could actually be running better. Maybe the computer is not callibrated correctly.

Anyone else having this problem?
Any ideas or comments are welcome.
I have a 6-speed w/ 250 miles on it.

I did see 28.5+ mpg @ 55mph in 6th gear on the instant mileage thingy. I believe that's how the gummy-mint does it.

In reality, I see about 17-21 in traffic in the fridged S. Fla winter (were down to 80F now!).

For what its worth, the cars are flying out of the dealerships down here...

-Foo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts