LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall! I'm looking to make my car a bit louder and my stock mufflers keep grinding on my drivetrain so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and swap my mufflers out with some glasspacks considering that's the only mufflers I can find that can be a direct replacement, so here lies my question: I'm not trying to go "piss my neighbors off loud" with stock cats and resonators in place, does anyone know generally how loud this will be, I'm open to suggestion if anyone has a better idea cheaper than a cat-back

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Hey yall! I'm looking to make my car a bit louder and my stock mufflers keep grinding on my drivetrain so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and swap my mufflers out with some glasspacks considering that's the only mufflers I can find that can be a direct replacement, so here lies my question: I'm not trying to go "piss my neighbors off loud" with stock cats and resonators in place, does anyone know generally how loud this will be, I'm open to suggestion if anyone has a better idea cheaper than a cat-back
How are your mufflers grinding on your drivetrain?

Glasspacks generally tend to be loud.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Glasspacks will sound horrible. Something like this would be a much better bet if you want better sound but not stupid loud.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
You may need new hangers.
And to further that point, if the hangers were failing, wouldn't that drop the mufflers even further away from the driveshaft? Not sure I understand how a stock system is touching the driveshaft. I'm assuming he still has the stock two-piece driveshaft. Maybe a hanger got bent up at some point?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And to further that point, if the hangers were failing, wouldn't that drop the mufflers even further away from the driveshaft? Not sure I understand how a stock system is touching the driveshaft. I'm assuming he still has the stock two-piece driveshaft. Maybe a hanger got bent up at some point?
Yep, only aftermarket piece I've got so far is rims, shes been garaged her whole life too, so I've got no idea what exactly is the cause

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm running 18" packs, only disturbing when you want them to be.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh yeah I'm rollin LT's HF cats and x-pipe as well

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Pics of said rubbing?

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Well, unless that exhaust pipe is moving A LOT it isn't the rubbing source. At that point the driveshaft is fixed, it isn't moving up and down. And the exhaust hanger looks to be in good shape too. There would be a witness mark on the exhaust pipe and again, if it was the source of the rub I'd think the witness mark on the driveshaft would be wider. I'd look ABOVE the driveshaft for something that may be rubbing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a dual in dual out flowmasters muffler where the resonator is and just straight piped it out the back(used most of the stock exhaust). It's not loud for the neighbors at idle but when applying some pedal it has enough noise.

Seems this would also work on an 04. The muffler also acts as a resonator.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a custom 2 and 1/2 inch stainless exhaust installed from the cats back weld it in with no mufflers and it's definitely not too loud. I definitely don't want to piss off my neighbors but when I start up it's got a nice rumble and when you are out on the expressways it sounds more or less like European V8. Definitely not too loud when you're up 60 70 mile per hour range though.

·
Registered
2005 GTO MT Red, Red, Pee the bed.
39 Posts
I have Borla gutted mids and had glass packs on. Had a set of flowmasters put on to pass inspection. The flowmasters are much less socially acceptable than the packs. Go figure.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Best idea is actually to add headers as the sound of the stock 04 catback through headers is a pretty sweet sound.

·
Yes my name is Holden
489 Posts
Greetings Nye & all; Ref: 2005, I started with an MagnaFlow True X in place of the mid muffler-OE-cross over. Keep in mind all else is OE Stock. Every little louder. Next was shorty JBA headers, again not much louder. Next were a set of Flow Master axle backs. Junk quality control, then I seen a test on Flow master's vs various straight through designs (glass packs). I got rid of the Flow Masters fast. Made a custom set of Dyno Max 3" (309 SS) round welded in place of the larger OE mufflers. OE flanges, hangers & tips.Just right (subjective of course). And I did start it without mufflers, the OE cats do a hell of a job as mufflers! Then I swapped the OE cats for some JBA off road mids., Wow can you say Loud like open headers. And found my Dyno Max's TOo loud as I could not hear the radio or my buddy talking. So for my big trip (The Dragon) last year I put the OE mufflers back on. With shorty headers, off road mids, True X, Dyno Max & some exhaust soot (not much) now in the mid pipes the system is loud full on but live able (subjective of course). Plus I'm a bit deafer now! And thinking of selling these & making some Borla straight through with larger black tips. I'm in possession of a Marv Man rear bumper insert & the openings are larger than the OE insert. So the OE tips look small in the bigger opening. The OE hangers are the best, hollow with a nice little bridge & bulge (located after the muffler & before the tip. I'm tryin' to source a set of OE hangers & flanges only, anyone got some they want to get rid of? Ole' Bob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts