LS1GTO Forums banner

MUFFLERS DELETED!!! low end torque GONE

5K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  paulboy2006 
#1 ·
OK so i just got my 06 gto back (6 speed) and OH WOW ITS LOUD LOL!!! But the car used to feel VERY powerfull and snapped ur head back. now it almost feels sluggish, like its bogging, How can i keep my straight pipes but regain the lost power? i guess its low backpressure thats causing it
Thanks!

Paul Fay

#2 ·
Just keep the stock catback and get some cutouts for it! You'll lose some low end torque but you usually pick up some power up top, thats the trade off.

#3 ·
paulboy2006 said:
OK so i just got my 06 gto back (6 speed) and OH WOW ITS LOUD LOL!!! But the car used to feel VERY powerfull and snapped ur head back. now it almost feels sluggish, like its bogging, How can i keep my straight pipes but regain the lost power? i guess its low backpressure thats causing it
Thanks!

Paul Fay
I don't know why so many people want straight pipes. all you get is noise. to me an exhaust should compliment the sound of the engine, not just make a bunch of noise so you can't hear the engine sing

#5 ·
1969 SS said:
I don't know why so many people want straight pipes. all you get is noise. to me an exhaust should compliment the sound of the engine, not just make a bunch of noise so you can't hear the engine sing
That is so true. They both should sing in their own but complementary song. There should be that wonderful mechanical harmony. :)

#6 ·
You want a better sound but it should give performance gains as well! That is something most of the aftermarket catbacks are lacking. I have seen a few dyno's where they get a mild increase but most of the time for the average buyer its not worth it.

#8 ·
Nemisis said:
You want a better sound but it should give performance gains as well! That is something most of the aftermarket catbacks are lacking. I have seen a few dyno's where they get a mild increase but most of the time for the average buyer its not worth it.
Except for the fact that the stock system is heavy and junk.

Between the stock chambered mufflers and pinched pipes, even if minimal, there must be some gains (2hp?) to be had with a quality straight through catback system.

Besides, we all know the real gains are to be had with LT's and Mids.

#9 ·
paulboy2006 said:
Thanks!

Paul Fay

I think it's all in your head... Even if it lost _any_ HP, from what I've seen/read you would be looking at 5hp or less, and I'd bet money you can't feel 5hp of difference....

#11 ·
Well i remeber being jerked in my seat (sounds bad huh?) lol but now it dusnt, still feels like a monster LOL!! the thing i dont like is the terrible popping when downshifting and coming to a stop... why dus it pop??!! When u deaccelerate it DUSNT POP, only dus it after a downshift... tune will fix? I just dont down shift at the moment. I already got 2 compliments "best sounding gto ever" " wow thats awesome, i could hear u a mile away, nice pipes man"

So in all im very pleased... i just wish it felt like it did before but MAYBEE it was in my head!

I was thinking about throwing on some glass packs... any thoughts?

Paul

#12 ·
The only pipes I've seen pinched is where it crosses under the rear shafts if I remember right?!? Thats why I opted to just get cutouts, I liked the stock catback sound with the longtube/off road pipe combination, with resonator delete, now with the 402 its pretty loud no matter what:D

#13 ·
I had my mufflers deleted today and wow I love the sound very loud but not too loud when crusing on the highway at 80 in 6th. I dont really feel a power loss low end but I feel a slight pickup top end so I'll take it. Also the car sounds almost identical )for some reason?) to my roommates 02 WS6 with longtubes no cats and slp LM1 catback. I find this interesting.

#14 ·
Also, do you think there is enough back pressure with the cats still there?

#15 ·
Well i changed my mind, i think its in my head, car performed awesome today after the first ride (it was REALLY hot when i picked up the car, almost 96. and it rained earlier after i got it and it came down to like 75 so that was the problem. my car is EXTREMELY quiet ont he highway at 75-85.. almost like stock (witht he windows closed) so i dunno why thats soo different?

Paul

#16 ·
Mizat1369 said:
Also, do you think there is enough back pressure with the cats still there?

more than enough.

#19 ·
LS2-GTO said:
Except for the fact that the stock system is heavy and junk.

Between the stock chambered mufflers and pinched pipes, even if minimal, there must be some gains (2hp?) to be had with a quality straight through catback system.

Besides, we all know the real gains are to be had with LT's and Mids.

Are the stock mufflers in the '05 chambered? I know the stock mufflers in the '04 just have a perforated pipe running through it from inlet to outlet.

Also, this popping people are talking about, is it a distinct popping. What I hear sometimes I would almost call a burbling sound. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this different from the popping? Thanks.

#20 ·
Aw horse shizzle. No low end torque? I deleted my muffs months ago, but I also put in an x-pipe to get rid of the back fires. Believe it or not, the x-pipe knocked down the sound throughout the range a pretty good bit.

I'll share a bit of real world experience. My buddy has a stock '06 M6, and we did a side by side second gear punch from about 1500-2000 rpms. We stayed exactly door to door until about 4000rpm when I started pulling pretty hard. We did this a couple of times and the results were consistent. I didn't lose anything on the low end. Could chalk it up to more break-in or the xpipe, but he did dyno 340/340 with 800 miles on the motor, so his ride is running pretty good already. Anyways...

#21 ·
Kyle_LS1 said:
Also, this popping people are talking about, is it a distinct popping. What I hear sometimes I would almost call a burbling sound. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this different from the popping? Thanks.
Naw, I drove around with the stock resonator with the muff delete, and I flat-out had BACK FIRE. With the x-pipe, I have popping, and I certainly don't mind it. Understand, if you want a pure Nascar sound, just the muff delete is the way to go. A guy a Nova just about fell out of his car window yelling "THATS SOUNDS F'CKIN BADASS!!!!" to me when I didn't have the x-pipe. You can take that for what its worth...

If I had an A4 and couldn't control the throttle as much, I'm not sure I would have done either - with the M6 its much easier to control the sound when the popo is around. I can also attest to the fact that muff delete is not as loud as a cammed, off-road headers, catback GTO, but not much is.

#22 ·
Kyle_LS1 said:
Are the stock mufflers in the '05 chambered? I know the stock mufflers in the '04 just have a perforated pipe running through it from inlet to outlet.

It pops and burbs. It's just cold air and you can tell because you're not popping when you're revving. Just when you ease off the gas at 4th, not too loud of a pop, at 3rd pretty loud depending on the temp and 2nd real loud sometimes. To each is own, i love it! But that wasn't my intention to begin with. I wanted flowmasters as soon as i got my '04 M6 and the shop said the muffler well was was too short for anykind of flowmaster and said to give it a try with the muffler delete. Since then i've been really satisfied with my goat. I love the sound especially on 4th gear traveling about 80 and you ease off the gas!

#23 ·
I have loud popping with my exhaust, which is LT's, highflow cats, x-pipe, straight pipes back. I like the quieter pops, like when letting off the gas around 2,000 rpm, but when it gets around 1,200 it pops extremely loud. I don't really care for the really loud ones, so I put the clutch in and popping stops. Just another reason that the M6 is better than an A4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.