LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
534 Posts
Why is it sometimes GM just seems to be consistently behind the curve. 5 years till a Camaro gets there gives Ford an enormous edge in terms of market foothold.

Cheers to you folks down under for finally getting the Mustang, and no better Stang than this generation.

In terms of "how fast", they are no slouch that's for sure.

·
Yes my name is Holden
427 Posts
Boss 5.0 & 06 GTO for sale!

Greetings Guys & Mr. Josh Fish;
Why is it sometimes GM just seems to be consistently behind the curve.
I generally don't speak out when I disagree with fellow members. I guess it depends on your perspective. Example, I was at a car show this summer (150 cars more or less) & as I walk by a very clean low mile GuTOo for sale, silver I might add. I turn to one of the two old guys (I may of been older than either of them) & ask is this your's for sale? Yup, so is the Boss 5.0 setting next to it. I ask year, a 2013. So I ask the next question, witch one is quicker, faster, the better car? I might add I'm GM bias, I think they make the best push rod engine on the planet. But this guy, even if he is bias he owns then both I'll get a pretty straight answer. He doesn't answer right away, that gives me time to add to my question, faster better. Of course we all want to know about QUICKER. His answer, " the GTO, but their close". So I mention, "it only took ford 8+ years to catch up. Oh in case you are wondering why he was selling both as I was. He answered before I could finish the question. "I ordered a new Z06". Bob Jr

·
Banned
534 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but to your point, I was speaking in broad terms. Until the coyote v8, I was only interested pushrod v8s, I only cared for ohc on my 4CYL toys.

I think the current Camaro should have been better over all, the GTO was too little too late. The Corvette has been world class since C5 but took too long to receive a world class interior. Ford starts pumping out RHD Mustangs to hungry customers, even if it's a niche market, and GM is 5 years behind? GM skunk works need to get on the ball.

Not debating the better or worse car but it would be a shame if in 5 years Camaros roll off the boat with crummy chassis bushings, poor spring rates and other half sorted development details for a sister market.

I wanted a GTO with a passion but the coyote Mustang had me looking, still bought the GTO though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not sure which is faster but based on some videos I would have to say the mustang is probably quicker stock vs stock.

To me the GTO felt faster but that was probably because the mustang is much more refined. I test drove a '16 5.0 just before I test drove the GTO I bought. The mustang was super nice and it was tempting especially since you can get a base GT with the track pack for less then $30k. It could be a nice DD in a milder climate location than NJ.

·
Abracadabra Holmes
5,627 Posts
The mustang overall is a touch faster IMO, and will trap 1-3 mph on average, but doesn't mean it will win every race. At that point it is still close enough to be a drivers race, but it doesn't take too many mods to get them considerably faster.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Car & Driver just compared these cars against each other. I know they are not the be all end all but the Camaro came out on top, especially in the performance category. Just food for thought.

·
Abracadabra Holmes
5,627 Posts
Car & Driver just compared these cars against each other. I know they are not the be all end all but the Camaro came out on top, especially in the performance category. Just food for thought.
Can you put a link up with that comparison ? Why would they compare the new Mustang and Camaro with a 10 year old GTO... Interesting

·
9 Second Club
860 Posts
Mustang lands in Aus

Aw hell, I was hoping to see an 'air-dropped' Mustang, lol. You know, the kind where the parachute failed?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I think the current Camaro should have been better over all, the GTO was too little too late. The Corvette has been world class since C5 but took too long to receive a world class interior. Ford starts pumping out RHD Mustangs to hungry customers, even if it's a niche market, and GM is 5 years behind? GM skunk works need to get on the ball.
Not exactly sure what you're talking about here, but in today's world the current offerings from GM in the pony market runs circles around the Mustang and its many variations. It's only going to get worse once the 1LE, ZL1 and maybe Z/28 variants of the current 6th Gen come out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts