LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this bad boy up today! 123k, SLP loudmouth, short throw (not sure of the brand) one piece drive shaft, cold air intake. Other than that it's stock. Few interior issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. It's an absolute BLAST to drive!!!
Plans currently are to just drive it. Maybe some new wheels next year, and possibly going to lower it a slight bit more.
I've been after a GTO for years and finally could afford to actively search for one. Low and behold this was 20 minutes away from me! Couldn't be happier.

Got a bunch of reading to do on here, but any in sight on common issues would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats and awesome color!

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,303 Posts
Plans currently are to just drive it. Maybe some new wheels next year, and possibly going to lower it a slight bit more.
Welcome and nice find!
At this point, that's the best thing to do with these cars. Keep them mostly stock and enjoy them.
There's a lot of maintenance and R&R things you can do (that it probably needs) that will only make it better at being what it should be.

GTOs had some great colors...why did I pick black?

Reactions: evsnova74

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ngl man I'm a little jealous, barbados blue is def the best color, but as for issues on 04s
1. check the fuel line under the engine cover, the plastic covers dig into them and eventually end up making roasted goat
2. Make sure the wire clusters behind the glove box are properly protected, they rub up on a metal brace and cause weird electrical issues
3. Less severe but your front strut bushings are probably blown, welcome to the herd!

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. Driveshaft
279 Posts
Very nice and clean. Love the color!

·
Seriously?
1,662 Posts
I'd say check the front and rear suspension and get ready to replace it. They weren't very good from the factory brand new so with your mileage, you're bound to be needing some stuff done.

Definitely check that rubber fuel line under the driver side valve cover... a Russell replacement is $25 and is braided stainless steel, and all of 10 minutes to swap.

Some heater hose around the BCM wire harness will protect it for good.

Check the clutch fluid and change it if it is brown in color. The slave cylinders like to leak on these cars and you will have to pull the trans to replace it.

Lots of info on here and plenty of stuff on YouTube. The GTO is pretty easy to work on if you want to learn and buy some good tools.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same exact vehicle once upon a time. Really enjoyed that GTO.

One thing I didn't like is how bright the cluster lights were. This can be adjusted via hooking up a diagnostic tool.

·
Is that FWD?
1,202 Posts
Nice car and color. Congratulations on finally getting one. Welcome to club.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
425 Posts
☝ I don't know...why did you?
😂🤣😂🤣

Welcome to the forums. These cars do have some issues, especially since the production ended in 2006. Your '04 will most likely have the VX style brakes, but upgrading to a set of PBR's is VERY easy! Most of the suspension problems - specifically the inside rear tire wear - will most likely have been addressed. Very nice find on the rarest color available!!!

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
Welcome and nice find!
At this point, that's the best thing to do with these cars. Keep them mostly stock and enjoy them.
There's a lot of maintenance and R&R things you can do (that it probably needs) that will only make it better at being what it should be.

black is a nice color all its own.

what i wanted before i even had a chance to buy was a black 05 with a black/red interior, auto, with the BZJ option.

·
Seriously?
1,662 Posts
I almost flew to Texas to buy a black 2004, 6 speed. I had them down to $26,900 on the phone but at the last minute, I said screw it, I can do better. The dealer that sold me my QSM advertised a Pulse Red but when I called, it had a sold sticker on it. Salesman told me about the Silver one, and I put a deposit on it sight unseen. Had I not been hell bent on black or silver, I would have gone for Barbados. Only seen 1 in person... just a fantastic color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ngl man I'm a little jealous, barbados blue is def the best color, but as for issues on 04s
1. check the fuel line under the engine cover, the plastic covers dig into them and eventually end up making roasted goat
2. Make sure the wire clusters behind the glove box are properly protected, they rub up on a metal brace and cause weird electrical issues
3. Less severe but your front strut bushings are probably blown, welcome to the herd!

The car didn't come with an engine cover, but will definatly check the fuel line.

And I'm currently in the process of going through the suspension bushings. I have some decent drive line movement, so I've been looking at the f*** ton of bushings this car takes lol. I appreciate the quick info!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
☝ I don't know...why did you?
😂🤣😂🤣

Welcome to the forums. These cars do have some issues, especially since the production ended in 2006. Your '04 will most likely have the VX style brakes, but upgrading to a set of PBR's is VERY easy! Most of the suspension problems - specifically the inside rear tire wear - will most likely have been addressed. Very nice find on the rarest color available!!!
I'll have to do some looking on the VX style vs the PBR style brakes!!

And thanks. Honestly at the time of purchase I had no idea how rare the color was. This deal just kinda fell into my lap, definatly not regretting it so far. Always been a big Pontiac guy ( even though it's a holden)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd say check the front and rear suspension and get ready to replace it. They weren't very good from the factory brand new so with your mileage, you're bound to be needing some stuff done.

Definitely check that rubber fuel line under the driver side valve cover... a Russell replacement is $25 and is braided stainless steel, and all of 10 minutes to swap.

Some heater hose around the BCM wire harness will protect it for good.

Check the clutch fluid and change it if it is brown in color. The slave cylinders like to leak on these cars and you will have to pull the trans to replace it.

Lots of info on here and plenty of stuff on YouTube. The GTO is pretty easy to work on if you want to learn and buy some good tools.
I've read about the clutch and brake fluids being brown. And I actually have a degree in auto mechanics lol. So I'm covered on a ton of tools. But you can never have enough knowledge! So far nothing seems too hard to work on. I haven't touched anything yet, but do notice it needs some stuff.... But there looks to be decent room on most stuff I'd be working on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome and good luck with it.
20 minutes away, nice.

This kinda fell into my lap. I've been hard core looking for a c5 z06... Should have snagged one last year, because this year... The prices are way up. A GTO has always been in my top 5 cars I've always wanted. So when I saw this I jumped right on it. Low and behold its a really rare color and in pretty damn good shape for the year and mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
The car didn't come with an engine cover, but will definatly check the fuel line.

And I'm currently in the process of going through the suspension bushings. I have some decent drive line movement, so I've been looking at the f*** ton of bushings this car takes lol. I appreciate the quick info!!
There arent actually that many bushing considering.

2 subframe bushings, rear sway mount and links, rear LCAs x2, diff. Covers the entire rear.

front radius mount and 2 in the front LCA.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Congrats on the GTO and you definitely got one of the best and rarest colors. Looks taken care of. I have the same but A4. A while back I was considering to sell it and now I may be changing my mind. It is a blast to drive and work on. I haven't driven mine since last November. I want to take it out before it gets too hot here in Texas.

There are some good sponsors here still and parts are fairly easy to come by depending on what it is. The most frustrating thing I ran into with mine was the wiring harness (fixed),gremlins are gone. The stock endlinks broke on mine multiple times and I finally went with some Aussie built ones. I replaced the fuel line like others recommended . Stay away from Eibachs springs. Get some Pedders, Lovells, or go with Coilovers. I have Lovells and they have a nice ride. Check the radius rod bushings. The stock rubber ones are probably shot if they haven't been replaced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts