LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to MTI this weekend ajust to get a dyno, and walked away buying a CAI that they just happened to have laying around, and a steelworks stainless 3" catback system. The car dynod at 280 due to the fact I was running regular. I had them print me a copy of the stock m6 they had on file and it 286, they eventually put a 540 rwhp motor in that car!!! Anyway as I was leaving , after buyingthe Catback, they gave me a tshirt, and then they came across a CAI that had been shipped to them. They sold it for 179.99 and put it on. They pulled two more runs on the Dyno, and I gained 38.7 RWHP with this CAI! They couldn't believe it. Needless to say I was estactic. That was the cheapest 40 HP gain I had ever done, and I have owned a z28 and an SS. As good as their CAI were for that car, I don't ever remember gaining that much!!! Anyway I hope the catbacks are as good. They claim I willbe pleasantly surprised. I also inquired about a pulley, and the company is in production as there are clearance issues and they have to make some. My catback goes in on July 10th I plan to film the dyno run so I will have some sound and video clips, assuming I can get back into my computer (it is packed away due to remodeling efforts at my house).

Seperate note: MTI had originally decided to build their own box for the GTO, but the tooling costs would be to high, and after polling some of the major Pontiac dealerships across the country they decided to scrap production as not enough cars had been sold, and dealers told them they would not be ordering many more. :confused: They promised ot show me the design when I come in next time, but admitted that not even their design gained 38+ rwhp! I hope my catback gains half as much, because between that and a pulley I hope I will make 400 rwhp! Crossing my fingers.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
HeightsGTO said:
Seperate note: MTI had originally decided to build their own box for the GTO, but the tooling costs would be 27K, and after polling some of the major Pontiac dealerships across the country they decided to scrap production as not enough cars had been sold, and dealers told them they would not be ordering many more.
THIS is what scares me folks. Mistakes aren't very sought after and have little value. Nobody is going to want an Albatross around their neck except an Albatross collector. If GM & Pontiac don't get off their corporate derrieres and do something harsh soon to get the dealer chain in line, advertise properly, and start selling cars, the aftermarket will bail out, interest (already waning) will evaporate, sales will grind to a halt, and the car will go in the dumper and take more like it with it. I have seen more TV Ads for the Chrysler 300 recently that I have for ANY Pontiac over the last year! :mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No prob

phobos512 said:
Allow me to be the first to say...Show me the dyno sheets :)
Iwill get them scanned after lunch, and if you want to tell me how to post them I will post them or if you want to shoot your email to me I will send the scans to you and /or you can post them.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
HeightsGTO said:
Iwill get them scanned after lunch, and if you want to tell me how to post them I will post them or if you want to shoot your email to me I will send the scans to you and /or you can post them.
ALSO CAN WE SEE A PIC OF IT??

DAMN I WANT ONE ......... :D :slap: :drink: :bubbrub :thumbs:

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Old Goat said:
THIS is what scares me folks. Mistakes aren't very sought after and have little value. Nobody is going to want an Albatross around their neck except an Albatross collector. If GM & Pontiac don't get off their corporate derrieres and do something harsh soon to get the dealer chain in line, advertise properly, and start selling cars, the aftermarket will bail out, interest (already waning) will evaporate, sales will grind to a halt, and the car will go in the dumper and take more like it with it. I have seen more TV Ads for the Chrysler 300 recently that I have for ANY Pontiac over the last year! :mad:
Scares me too.
So if the 05 has an LS2 don't you think it's going to be hard to find mods that are LS1/GTO specific? With only 4 or 5k sold there arn't going to be many willing to tool-up.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mlc said:
Scares me too.
So if the 05 has an LS2 don't you think it's going to be hard to find mods that are LS1/GTO specific? With only 4 or 5k sold there arn't going to be many willing to tool-up.

that is true but.......how many does one need? There are a bunch of things for the LS1 itself.......I cant see us actually needing THAT much stuff...

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
mlc said:
Scares me too.
If the Goat goes down, we'll be left with GM Performance Parts, Goodwrench, Holden, and HSV for parts. LS1 and LS6 and 4L60E-HD parts will be common and available through the Chevrolet parts chain. Everything peculiar to this car will have to come from OZ, almost like it is now, excepting the brave vendors and manufacturers who have already jumped onboard for which I am grateful. I further suspect that when their current stock was exhausted, there would be no new production. Further, any new mods you will have to manufacture yourself. JMHO

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Am I missing a post or do we still not know what companies CAI this is with?
You haven't missed it. I think we are waiting for after HeightsGTO's lunch to get more information.
:drink: :drink:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I certainly believe it's possible, but Heights, was it tuned or just put on and dynoed? I ask because, as I understand it, the PCM will learn and adjust over time and some (though not all) of the original gains will be lost. IOW drive it for a week then go back to the dyno.

But if it was tuned, never mind. :)

Padre

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
sounds like a Speed Inc. CAI cause theirs only a few GTO CAIs and the price for the Speed CAI is $179.

Did it have a KN cone filter Heights GTO?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
They happen to have it lying around. They did the runs and said it had 37.8 more hp?
I don't like the sound of some of this. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but my gut tells me
something ain't right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AmesGTO said:
Am I missing a post or do we still not know what companies CAI this is with?
I am back from Lunch. I have sent a PDF and tiff file. Anyone else want a copy of the runs?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts