LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Over exposed or not - nice car!

Now you need to trade some seat time in it with your boss so you can report back how it compares to the M5.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I highly doubt after waiting this long for his GTO, that even Moses could part Tiggerfan from his GTO to drive an M5.

·
Registered
524 Posts
TprGTO said:
I highly doubt after waiting this long for his GTO, that even Moses could part Tiggerfan from his GTO to drive an M5.
My brother has a M5 also. Drove it about a year ago. Will be interesting to see the camparison. Has about 390hp but is heavier. Is a sweet car no doubt, but also 70K. Will post when can get some direct comparison. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
hada64 said:
My brother has a M5 also. Drove it about a year ago. Will be interesting to see the camparison. Has about 390hp but is heavier. Is a sweet car no doubt, but also 70K. Will post when can get some direct comparison. :D
Close :) Horsepower is 394 unchipped (mine is chipped and rates about 405), and 368 lb-ft of torque with a very flat curve (again, chipped is about 375 lb-ft peak). 0-60 times are quoted at 4.8, but many M5Board.com drivers report times in the low to mid 4 seconds when tracked and measured.

The M5 comes in just over 3900 lbs with a full tank of gas and one passenger. Quarter mile times are between 13.2 and 13.5 depending on which article you're reading. Top speed chipped is 185, and it will do 185 any time you have the road and room.

So all in all, even though the M5 is a heavy sun of a gun, it sure goes like crazy. Jeff took me for a ride this afternoon (lunch, actually) and, while I'm sure he'll post his impressions of the differences, here are my impressions:

1. The M5 is far superior in terms of power smoothness.
2. The GTO is far more "brutal" with power delivery (a good thing sometimes!).
3. The M5 feels gentler during slides; power rolls the rear end very smoothly and predictably.
4. The GTO is far more intense with wheel spin; it kicks out easy, fast, and hard.
5. The M5 exhaust is quieter than the GTO, but they both have a very nice throaty sound.
6. The fit and finish of the GTO are nice for what it is (no offense intended).

From all accounts power will be MUCH easier to get into the GTO than the M5, the price per horsepower is a lot more reasonable. I look forward to seeing what Jeff does with the GTO, he’ll most likely get it above the power/speed level of the M5.

One thing I see is that the GTO needs wider rear tires and additional negative camber on the rear wheels. Once the rear end traction is taken care of I’m sure we’ll see better 0-60 times for the GTO.

Anywho… coming from a die hard German car enthusiast, I must say that the GTO is quite a fine car!

--------
Beccara

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I meant no disrespect towards the M5. My friend has one, and it does move. I was just referring to how long it takes for the delivery of your GTO.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
tiggerfan said:
BTW, that was the owner of that M5 and my boss ;)
Okay we'll be nice then. How much is it worth to ya?
:drink: :drink:

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I tend to agree with him on most of his points. The M5 of course costs more than twice what this car cost, and for him to get to 450 horses will cost another 10,000. For $10,000 a GTO can easily be putting out 600.

The power delivery is definitely more brutal in the GTO. As I stated to several people, the M5 accelerates like it has a rocket strapped to its ass. Its smooth, fast and incredibly precise in its feel. The GTO feels like a 350 pound guy is ripping you out of your seat by your shirt, its fast, its brutal and its incredibly powerful. IMHO its also a lot more fun. Is it as refined, no. Is it as quick, no (Though it can be for a lot less then an m5). It is however far better then any of the recent F-Body cars, and is an incredible pleasure to drive. Does it compare to the M5, no. If I had unlimited money to spend, and could only choose between the M5 and the GTO its a no brainer for the M5. But it is an entirely different feel and an entirely different car. And again at 33K, its a steal in my opinion, and more than worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts