LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
39,955 Posts
Oh, if you do try to fix that leak, i have read it is common for the pinion yoke to wear where seal is, so even if the seal is replaced and you've also sealed the splines from leaking, it will still seep.

You'll see it if you pull the yoke. There will be a ridge all the way around it where the seal sat.

Sucks.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Okay, so installation was super simple. Luckily I was able to back out the yoke bolts without needing a special star-shaped socket - I just used a regular 14mm.
Shifter stopped rattling under load, drivetrain got tighter and I noticed that the car picks up speed faster in mid-range. I haven't tried launching it or driving fast yet.
As far as leaking goes - I haven't done anything about it besides cleaning the splatter. It's not bad at all - I don't see anything on my driveway, just splatter around the yoke. My plan for now is to disregard it and check the level and top off the diff as needed. I want to eventually fix it, but I would need those fancy Sleeves you put on the shaft if it gets out of hand (forgot the name - something like Quik-Sleev) - but I would need exact diameters and such to do it.
Update:went 140 and no vibration

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,117 Posts
A carbon fiber drive shaft is on my wishlist of GTO treats. Thanks for following-up on this.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sucks id have to get a whole new trans to run cf. unless custom shafts cost just as much, then it might be worth while.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts