LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is the third center gauge pod I've made.
I started this one back in 2018, put it on hold for two years and literally finished it last night.
I got lucky and bought a set of JHP gauges a few years ago with this type of pod in mind.
I made it out of a stock center dash piece and added the hood that I made out of fiberglass.
This is the first time I ever used fiberglass so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
It's definitely not perfect and there are things I'd change on it like centering the gauges (I offset them for a reason but can't remember why).
I turned the gauges so they're in direct line of sight when turning my head.
I took a bunch of pics when I started but will show the ones that detail the progress most.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The above picture was from December of 2018 and was the last picture taken.
I resumed the pod in October 2020 which is when the picture below was taken.
I epoxied the fiberglass hood on to the panel and used body filler to smooth it out.
After that, I used glazing/spot putty for the small imperfections, primered, wet sanded and then painted it.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 1 pc. Driveshaft
160 Posts
You did a awesome job man! What paint and color did you use to paint that? SEM?

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
184 Posts
Excellent job, I really like the way it looks!

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.
That is SEM satin black 15243.
The gauge trim rings are SEM medium platinum metallic 39413 which is discontinued.
That's the closest color match to our stock silver color that I ever found in a rattle can.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
407 Posts
WOW! Amazing job! I honestly thought this was not going to be so great when I looked at the first few pics but then I couldn't believe how it came out. Awesome

·
Registered
164 Posts
That looks pretty killer for a home built. I saw the title and it said 3.0. I thought you mounted 3 gauges and was totally thinking that would be killer if it look good. I aeroforce gauges and can read a lot of data but a A/F ratio and and meth data would be what I would put in the third gauge. Still very impressed with how it turned out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very nice work. I know mine would emd up with a jagged ass hole then id quit.

I see you need to add a gauge to the cluster also. I cant seem to get my aem wideband to stay in the mavman cluster at all. Either too much tape and it doesnt go in or too little and it falls out. Lost a cluster screw somewhere in the abyss last time i tried.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That looks pretty killer for a home built. I saw the title and it said 3.0. I thought you mounted 3 gauges and was totally thinking that would be killer if it look good. I aeroforce gauges and can read a lot of data but a A/F ratio and and meth data would be what I would put in the third gauge. Still very impressed with how it turned out.
I posted threads of the 2 previous pods I made and called the second one 2.0 which is where the 3.0 came from.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice work. I know mine would emd up with a jagged ass hole then id quit.

I see you need to add a gauge to the cluster also. I cant seem to get my aem wideband to stay in the mavman cluster at all. Either too much tape and it doesnt go in or too little and it falls out. Lost a cluster screw somewhere in the abyss last time i tried.
I probably made 2 dozen of the speedo gauge pods years ago, I sold a few here.
I made both single and dual gauge pods.
The one in my car is the first one I made.
I used felt tape which is 1/16" thick and cut it about 3/4" long by 3/16" - 1/4" wide.
I adhered one piece to the top and one to the bottom of the pod.
My Aeroforce gauge slides in snuggly and doesn't move at all.
It sits perfectly flush and is centered in the cup.
Don't think you have to wrap tape completely around the gauge.
I'm sure mine isn't the same exact diameter as yours but maybe it'll give you some ideas to try on yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice work! Looks great! 👍

1 - 20 of 25 Posts