LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I went to the track with a couple guys from the site for the first time ever last night. Me, bigredgoat (Ryan) and budski (Eric) went to Englishtown Raceway in NJ. God damn it was fun as hell!

Well I figured I'd post up my times and experience because I know there's room for improvement...but here's some of the stats for the night:

Weather was about 60 degrees, 70% humidity. Weight of the car with me in it was 3801lbs as per the track scale.

Basically a 2004/A4 bone stock car, stock tires, and a CAI (woot heh)

Ok the runs go in order from left to right of my night.

First run: Right lane number 8818. Nervous as hell, million things going through my head haha. tc off, left trans in "3" revved to like 800rpms (everything was going so quick I didn't think!), 32 psi in the tires, ran hot - as soon as we got there we pulled up to race. I really p*ssy footed it off the line since it was my first time and I didn't know what to expect so those are my results. I was up against a modded last gen Camaro SS.

Second run: Left lane number 8818. Excited as hell now and lined up against my buddy Ryan (04 GTO, predator tune, CAI - also his first time at a track). Revved to about 1200 rpms, trans in 3, 28psi in the tires. Still left like a p*ssy of the line but my time improved a bit so I was pleased.

Final run: Left lane number 8818. Lined up against Ryan again. Everything the same as last time with the car but I revved to 1600rpms and launched hard, got a little spin off the line and it stuck the rest of the way. I was happy with this run, basically what I would expect from my first time, I was pleased with having improved everytime I got up there as well.

I know they aren't amazing times but literally this was the first time I've been on a track any advice is greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm sooooo hooked...def. going every week :D :judge: :turbonaug :gears:

Attachments

·
Resident workaholic
2,250 Posts
Awesome! Work on those 60'ers though ya wanka.

·
Family Wagon of Fun
9,049 Posts
You spun alot between 1st and 2nd! Quit dumping the clutch so hard. :judge: (Obviously didn't read the whole thread and just looked at the slips, sorry)

Great runs City!!

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Sweet. :cool: Keep at it. I know the first run nervous as heck feeling. Never fails - every track I've ever been on, I screw up the first run.

I wish I could help you overcome your newfound addiction. Alas, I'm not the one to talk too. :drink: :turbonaug

Padre

·
Family Wagon of Fun
9,049 Posts
I am such an idiot sometimes when posting at work.....:wall:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Palmer said:
I am such an idiot sometimes when posting at work.....:wall:
I wasn't gonna say anything. :drink:

Darn clutches. :judge: :gr_jest:

Padre

·
7,835 Posts
Your last two slips look almost identical to my slips up here. Doesn't trapping 99.xxMPH piss you off. :gr_jest: I have about 5 of those. Not too shaby of runs for ya though, get your 60's down and you'll be in the 13's. My car is still faster up here though bish!

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I really wanted to break into the 13's but I'm not dissappointed. It was my first time out, I didn't think I did too bad after the first time.

I just have to work on my reaction time - I was going on the green...not the last yellow. And cutting down my 60'

Drag gods help :D

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I don't even care about my R/T. I just go when I'm ready.

·
7,835 Posts
R/T is where it is at. I am always trying my hardest to run .0XX's which comes about 90% of the time. Only red lit once. Have cut a .003 before but still searching for perfect. For me, even though it doesnt count in test and tune, if i can beat the other car to the line, its more satisfying, even if they have a slightly faster ET. Hince the reason i can say I beat a Gen1 viper.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
I've never been to the track with the GTO, only had it a month. I have been to the track quite a bit with my two previous cars. And I say you did good for a first time there. My first time there my reaction time was over a second and I ran some horrid 60' times.

But you mod and learn and it all comes together. I'm hoping some of my track/launching experience helps me get down the track with this GTO, but I'll probably pull some 14's too hehe.

·
GTOless
7,062 Posts
Not bad. A little bit of practice and you will be in the 13's. You should run neck and neck with a certain black TBSS.:judge: What did Eric run?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
City Goat said:
Yeah I really wanted to break into the 13's but I'm not dissappointed. It was my first time out, I didn't think I did too bad after the first time.

Drag gods help :D
Welcome to the addiction.

Found it hard to get the car going quick at street drags, 100s of cars lined up, everything is rushed, you "over-think" for 2 hours+ waiting between runs about what your doing next time and clutter your thought process.

Made the most progress at a private track day with 20 or so cars made about 25 runs that day. No pressure, make a mistake just go back up to the line again. Went from 13.8 to 13.1 by the end of the day. Well worth the $50 it cost me.

·
Hoon of the Day
4,249 Posts
Ryan gave me one hell of a run on the third race. He jumped me off the line and we were neck and neck the whole way down the track. Awesome runs man, looking foward to next week.

·
Z PoPo
668 Posts
Yeah, just practice on that launch. Your one good launch away from a high 13.

·
Ahhh have the need fer speed.
2,271 Posts
Juniorss said:
Not bad. A little bit of practice and you will be in the 13's. You should run neck and neck with a certain black TBSS.:judge: What did Eric run?
Haahaahaahaaa, I thought we are this Saturday? Down some wet twisty roads in the Hamptons, BAAAHAAHAAHAAAAa. No really, I've never done the 1/4 thing, but would def like to shortly. Josh, bring yer TBSS, so we can see which color is faster, hhehehehe.

Nice job Ryan!:turbonaug

·
:mrrg:
10,466 Posts
Nice job.. You did better than me, all I could muster was a 14.3 @ 98. I bet you will be in the 13's your next time out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts