LS1GTO Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Any luck?
Yes. Thickness is .080. I also took measurements and pics of my caliper so I can make some. I was gonna do it tonight but I was trying to finish up putting my bulbs and head to the gym so I threw the bumper back on. I ended up not going to the gym because I’m just wore out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes. Thickness is .080. I also took measurements and pics of my caliper so I can make some. I was gonna do it tonight but I was trying to finish up putting my bulbs and head to the gym so I threw the bumper back on. I ended up not going to the gym because I’m just wore out.
thanks. I keep tell myself I will make these but laziness about doing it and getting supplies gets the better of me.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I got chewed out by my OH this morning, so I FINALLY made myself a to do list. I put make bumper brackets on it. Thats half the battle right there for me....forgetting. I need to take the bumper off again and move my intercooler back a touch and put the grill in it, so when I do that, i can do the brackets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a great thread. It inspired me to make the same repair on my car last weekend. I wasn't as diligent at taking every pic every step of the way, but I hope I have enough on here to share my version of this.

I had taken my bumper off anyway to repair my leaky headlights (will cover that in another thread) so I made my reinforcement with some thin aluminum strip. I used a propane torch to anneal the metal first, and the can of air duster held upside down to freeze spray the metal to cool it quickly. I was able to hammer it into shape and sanded the outside edge to match the contour of the bumper. I used a sharpie and the old piece to locate the hole, then drilled it out and filed it to shape. I used both 5 minute epoxy and rivets to secure it in place. I used washers on the back side of the rivets in the front of the bracket, too, to not rip through the plastic, and repeated this step for the other side. The final fit is good, but could be slightly better if I enlarge the snap fit holes more on the car itself. Maybe the next time I remove the bumper I can adjust it more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I still need this, I'll just end up paying one of yall to make me a set lol. Waiting on my VFN hood to come in and then I'll pull bumper again and get it squared away before paint.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
475 Posts
I'm going to take off the bumper for the first time ever(I don't think this car ever had the front bumper off as well) and keep reading about these broken tab threads. Seems like they are real easy to break. I'm going to make sure I go easy and do it when it's nice and hot outside.

I need to take it off to do an SAP Fascia and grill install.

Any tips so I don't break them?

·
Orphan Car Owner
2,811 Posts
Nice

Reactions: Tuske427

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice work @Tuske427! I want to get this done this year too. What's the fit and finish look like with the bumper on?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another thing you can do to fix the gap is put some shims on the metal bumper bracket that will lift it up and not let is sag. I made mine with some left over kydex I had from holster builds

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just saw this thread. Having my bumper removed in the next few weeks to have the original owner's license plate holes plugged and repaint the bumper.

When you put the metal bracket in, it's of course adding thickness to what is essentially the new slot on the bumper for the plastic tab to insert into. Those plastic tabs on the brackets (the male piece on the L bracket that's bolted to the fender) have a bit of a return nub on them right. So with these new slots being thicker, those return nubs won't engage. Meaning when the plastic male tab inserts into these new metal female slots, won't the increased thickness cause the male tab not to fully engage as those tabs arnt as long as the new thicker (with the metal) slot is deep? Perhaps I'm over thinking it.

·
14s lol
772 Posts
What would be pretty nice is if someone with a 3d printer could draw something up that can bond to the bumper and replace the weak plastic welded bracket out of a more rigid plastic.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts