LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goat is a dog. Went to the track Friday night to see how she runs and came away very disappointed. Conditions were good and the track prep was OK. The car is stock except for a CS Intake pipe and BMR skid plate. Shifts were smooth using the clutch and just a slight lift between shifts. Here are my runs.

1st pass: (5600rpm shift point)

R/T ... .173 :zzz:
60 ... 2.170
330 ... 6.140
1/8 ... 9.423
MPH ... 76.37
1000 ... 12.113
1/4 ... 14.455 :bomb:
MPH ... 98.29

2nd pass: (6000rpm shift point)

R/T ... .050
60 ... 2.124
330 ... 6.046
1/8 ... 9.305
MPH ... 77.19
1000 ... 11.968
1/4 ... 14.296
MPH ... 98.90 :banghead:

3rd pass: (5200rpm shift point)

R/T... .071
60.... 2.216
330.... 6.293
1/8.... 9.645
MPH ... 75.01
1000 ... 12.404
1/4 ... 14.786 :barf:
MPH... 96.36

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
your best run was 14.296s. thats not so bad. just practice the shifting. gotta be really quick. but a good start

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Your losing your time at takeoff. Get that 60 ft time down, and you'll see the times
you are looking for.
Yes, I know I have to get off the line better, but what about
the low trap speeds? Doesn't that mean I'm down on horspower?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
cfp40 said:
Yes, I know I have to get off the line better, but what about
the low trap speeds? Doesn't that mean I'm down on horspower?
Yeah, your trap speeds are down, but I'm sure it's due to air temp and
humidity and mostly your driving experience. This car is capable of
103 to 104 stock trap speeds, so unless you got a dog of an LS1, which
I seriously doubt, it's got to be driver and conditions. Practice and more
Practice will get you there. Run it on a cool night in October too and
you'll see the LS1 come alive.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Those runs are similar to my first time, now my best is 13.8 at 103 so I've improved quite a bit. The key is to shift just before the rev limiter and make sure you open the hood and let her cool off between runs. (opening the hood is critical)

·
got rice?
480 Posts
cfp40 said:
My goat is a dog. Went to the track Friday night to see how she runs and came away very disappointed. Conditions were good and the track prep was OK. The car is stock except for a CS Intake pipe and BMR skid plate. Shifts were smooth using the clutch and just a slight lift between shifts. Here are my runs.

1st pass: (5600rpm shift point)

R/T ... .173 :zzz:
60 ... 2.170
330 ... 6.140
1/8 ... 9.423
MPH ... 76.37
1000 ... 12.113
1/4 ... 14.455 :bomb:
MPH ... 98.29

2nd pass: (6000rpm shift point)

R/T ... .050
60 ... 2.124
330 ... 6.046
1/8 ... 9.305
MPH ... 77.19
1000 ... 11.968
1/4 ... 14.296
MPH ... 98.90 :banghead:

3rd pass: (5200rpm shift point)

R/T... .071
60.... 2.216
330.... 6.293
1/8.... 9.645
MPH ... 75.01
1000 ... 12.404
1/4 ... 14.786 :barf:
MPH... 96.36
Same :bs: happened to me too. I feel your pain.
http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5268&page=1&pp=30

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Everything I've ever been told about drag racing a manual is that it's all about how much you are willing to abuse your car defining how quick you go. Considering that I'd only ever run the car for S&G's at the track - I'd expect similar numbers to you. That's because I'm not going to really abuse my stuff just for a number.
That being said - I think Blitzu has the best advice for how to go quicker.
Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DANSLS1 said:
Everything I've ever been told about drag racing a manual is that it's all about how much you are willing to abuse your car defining how quick you go. Considering that I'd only ever run the car for S&G's at the track - I'd expect similar numbers to you. That's because I'm not going to really abuse my stuff just for a number.
That being said - I think Blitzu has the best advice for how to go quicker.
Dan
Yes, this is what other's told me also but I don't know if I want to beat
the living sh-- out of it. I just have a hard time accepting that my brothers
new Chrysler 300C with the HEMI ran a 14.28 right next to me and he just
kept his car in drive and floored it. The slowest time he ran was a 14.38
and he did not even seem to be driving hard. His car is at Corsa right now getting measured for a custom exhaust and then I will never keep up with it. :banghead:

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
cfp40 said:
Yes, this is what other's told me also but I don't know if I want to beat
the living sh-- out of it. I just have a hard time accepting that my brothers
new Chrysler 300C with the HEMI ran a 14.28 right next to me and he just
kept his car in drive and floored it. The slowest time he ran was a 14.38
and he did not even seem to be driving hard. His car is at Corsa right now getting measured for a custom exhaust and then I will never keep up with it. :banghead:
It is a lot easier to run faster and more consistant in an auto, especially if you are new to drag racing. Practice getting the 60 foot down and you will walk that Hemi!

Also, the goat is a much better looking car then that Herman Munster looking thing! :eek2:

·
The GTO Devil...
1,572 Posts
dude , no way will I let a 300c Hemi take my goat. NO WAY, I'll shift at 8k if I hafta!!

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Blitzu said:
You're not beating the living sh*t out of anything with what I said. Powershifting does not hurt anything as long as you stay withing the allowed RPMs. Think about it, a automatic is shifting much faster than you are and most of the time it is even doing it harder when there is a heavy load on the engine. Power shifting is doing nothing different besides actually shifting maybe alittle bit faster than a auto. Don't be affraid of things breaking, because if you do it right it wont. Thing like lowering your tire pressure does absolutely no harm, and is a must if you really are concerned about times... many people that I have seen dont do that then wonder why their times are as bad as they are.

Worst thing that can happen is you might burn out your clutch a few hundred miles earlier than you normally would. Big deal, a spec 3 clutch costs something like 350 and can hold 600 HP. That again is worst case if you are doing things right.

If you are concerned about your times then learn to drive the car right, but if you are concerned about what you feel is doing damage to the car then why even race it to begin with??

If you think it is doing damage by racing then the track should not be racing. If you are willing to put aside alot of the BS people say on these boards about damaging your car and you drive it right then you will have good times.

It's all upto you with what times you will get.
I agree w/ your last point - but power shifting isn't beating the car? Seriously. We've had so many clutch issues on M6's w/ normal driving w/ a little heated shifting here and there, and you are talking about near skipping using the clutch w/ power shifting. I've had 2 clutches go well over 100k miles in previous cars. Admittedly they weren't the torque monster the GTO is - but I think running fast at the strip often will drop more than a couple hundred miles off of the life of that clutch.
All I was really trying to say is don't expect to match SLP's 13.1x times unless you are ready to try and leave the clutch on the track.
Dan

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Blitzu said:
Very true... SLP is the devil Bobby!!! LOL j/k, but seriously that is really misleading. I am up in arms about a "Hemi" running close to the GTO.... just isn't right :D :D
I just didn't like how the article in Pontiac Enthusiast didn't mention that SLP had drag radials. Guess what? My GTO went 12.70's bone stock...
down hill :rolleyes:
People need to start telling the whole truth and not just part of it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
2004Goat said:
I just don't like how SLP didn't mention that they had drag radials in the article in Pontiac Enthusiast. Guess what? My GTO went 12.70's bone stock...
down hill :rolleyes:
People need to start telling the whole truth and not just part of it.
i agree. i dont consider a car with drag radials stock. IMO, any change that take .2-.3 off your ETs is not stock. kind of shady i think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts