LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I am going to take my Gravana off and re-install the stock airbox and put a fresh fram in. Let the butt dyno examine. It feels with the gravana on, when I start the car and drive it's strong! But from a light in city driving it doesnt get strong for about 2-3 seconds.

When I pop the hood, the metal tube is EXTREMELY hot. I'm going to also experiment with the stock tubing and the gravana filter.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Does the intake air temp sensor mount on the metal part of the pipe? I'm willing to bet the heat soak on the intake pipe is actualy transfering extra heat to the IAT sensor which is causing the ECU to retard the engine when it doesnt really need to. That would clearly cut into power and would 'appear' to go away after a few seconds when the IAT sensor reads the real air temp and the ECU compensates.

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, here are my observations.

WARNING: This is NOT intended to knock Gravana in any way what so ever, I'm just stating what I experienced. I have no dyno numbers, this is strictly going by butt dyno.

WITH JUST THE INTAKE (otherwise stock, being compared to a stock A4 GTO).
The engine, undoubtily rev's faster. You can literally feel the power kicking in at about 4000RPM's at which time, you can hear the air being sucked in (VERY good sound).

In the morning when just starting the car and driving off (after the car had been sitting in the garage over night), the car hauls. However, after driving for about 10 minutes, and waiting at a light; from a stop, the car dogs. I can floor it and the does not go anywhere. The rev's will skyrocket but nothing happens, then the power kicks in. (I have checked the install time and time again, so I am certain it's installed correctly). On the freeway, if I gun it at 60mph, is goes a little but a second later you can hear the air whooshing in and the car PULLS like a BEAST!!!! The installation and pieces are top notch. In a nutshell, the intake REALLY helps on the highway and when moving. (Lower rolling starts caused my engine to hesitate during city dricing). But on the highway, the thing pulled like nobodies buisness.

STOCK Intake: Well, feels like all of our stock car's did. But going from the Gravana back to stock, I miss the high end pull it offered. However, my car no longer hesitates from slower speeds when I gun it, it goes. The rev's feel slower, but again... I don't have the problem I did.

So in the end, I feel the weak link in this intake is the metal piping. Sitting from a stop, I think the metal obsorbs all kinds of heat and causes the car to dog from the light. On the highway, it has air flowing and gets the cool air going in at a more continuous rate. The stock intake replaced my missing low end torque that comes with installing an intake. The intake suffered down low (for me) but pulled once it got all the hot air out and started sucking in cooler air.

I trully believe it is what was stated above. The engine did not like the hot air, so it pulled timing on the car.

My next step will be to try the stock piping with the gravana filter.

This upset's me because the piece looks SOOO FREAKIN GOOD under the hood (check out my avatar).

·
Registered
540 Posts
The extra pull you're feeling is a result of the additional air the filter you have is giving you. Your thoughts on the lack of power you're experiencing are on track with regards to hotter air causing you to not get the timing advance you should however, it is more likely that is a result of the hot air you are sucking in from the engine bay than the heat from the metal tube heating air as it flows through it.

CSiJason's remark that the IAT sensor is getting heat soaked is another possibility but probably not the whole problem if it is any of the problem at all.

From the pics I can't tell how feasible it would be but you might try modifying your factory air box to work with the new intake setup. If you can get that filter into the factory air box with a little modifications you'll have the best of both worlds; the additional air provided by the larger filter sucking in cooler air from the airbox that is protected from the engine bay heat. If you're able to do that, it would be nice to see pictures, cause you're right, that intake is a really sweet looking piece.

--
Mike Lewis

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
If you do a search on this, you'll find a plethora of information regarding high IAT's on this car do to the placement of the air intake and conversely the IAT sensor. It seems to have been an afterthought on this car. All intakes, even the stocker is subject to the same heat soak, although a metal tube will indeed feel hotter.

You can either relocate your IAT, plug in a 4.7kohm resistor to trick it to 57* constantly, or have someone with LS1Edit alter your IAT vs. timing table to back down the effect the IAT has on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts