LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with mother nature and friends being tied up, I had to try. Yes they can be done in the driveway on jackstands. BUT you need a lot of height. After attempting it I wish I would have waited. But I proceeded for all you driveway guys;););):) Actually it was killing me seeing them just sit here.

Let me just say the Driver side header is the biggest pain. On a lift wouldn't be bad, but on the ground is why you need the height. Here are some pics:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I'm charging the Vid cam to get audio. And all I can say is..............WOW I love these. Just worried about the driver side steering rack boot, which our friends from down under had mentioned before. Pass side seems fine, but man is the driver close.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
man I cant wait to hear that badboy :) How hard was it to drop that steering rack? Ill be installing mine when I get the funds together to buy em.

-Brian

·
Been here for a long time...
4,660 Posts
That is awful close to the boot. Maybe put some kind of shield/wrap in that one area to keep from melting it?

I like the ground clearance shot

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
So did you have to totally remove the rack, or was seperating the steering shaft give you enough room.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they are Stainless. And You have to remove the lines to the rack and the steering shaft and drop the rack down. I did not remove the tie rods from the spindles though. That's the easy part. Tightening the lines when the header is in is a whole new ball game.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
your lucky your goat is only a few months old and probley hasn't been in snow, thoes power steering lines almost never come off without a fight, torch em loosen tighten loosen tighten torch over and over for about a 30mins. I'd image thoes lines were removed no problem?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup came off nicely. Well except for when they cracked loose and a stud went into my thumb. Explains why I have a scar there. Always the same spot on my thumb.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Awesome work man.... but sheesh, I had 4 open lifts today at the shop.

You should have come by :slap:

But now you know how to do them and can help me put them on my car when I get them :bubbrub

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deja Vu all over again;)

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
Rob said:
That is awful close to the boot. Maybe put some kind of shield/wrap in that one area to keep from melting it?

I like the ground clearance shot

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The burned boots are a well known issue with the Aussies. I'm sure the fellows at Ls1.com.au have hit on some practical solutions.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I am looking into headers and a cat back soon. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good installer for the headers. I have someone with a lift and plan on doing the catback there. I just don't know if doing the headers there with out any experience to my brand new car sounds like a good idea. I live in northern NJ.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sigo said:
Wow, I had no idea they came that close to the boots. The boots don't look like they'll last a week that close. Until I see a solution, I'm afraid that's a No Sale. :(

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
That boot is in a world of hurt. I'm thinking we're gonna need a Nomex wrap, asbestos, or something. Not sure if just a aluminum heat shield will handle the extreme heat that that boot can see.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's only the drivers side. The Passanger side has more room. We'll see how long it lasts I guess :( Not sure what we can do about it.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
JCMGTO said:
It's only the drivers side. The Passanger side has more room. We'll see how long it lasts I guess :( Not sure what we can do about it.

Woohoo Bizarro the Guinea Pig!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts