LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· 9 Second Club
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early 2021 my dad suffered a fall and was hospitalized for three weeks. When he was released we had to put him in a 24 x 7 skilled nursing care facility. He lived nearly 700 miles from me and really wanted to stay near his home. Rather than move him to our area I kept him where he wanted to be. 200,000 miles and two years later I lost him on December 31 2022. He is certainly in a better place, one he would rather be in. I spent two weeks every month in his home near the nursing facility. Over the time I spent many hours talking to him and reveling in the wonderful stories he had to share in life. I really missed my hot rods but not enough to even consider devoting time to them instead of him. Best investment I ever made. My friends in the DFW area who helped me have been the best suppoters one could ask for. They've done their best to support me and keep me cheered up through the tough times. I look forward to getting back to work. I may in fact finish the T-Bucket here in Tennessee by the lake dad and I enjoyed so much. For those of you here who have truly made me feel welcome, thanks. Watching your builds and sharing thoughts has kept me going through many long nights. Hopefully things will brighten up now and progress will pick up.

Attachments

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
05 GTO, PBM, M6, SAP, 18s
2,114 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us. Very sorry. He’ll always be with you.

Reactions: wrp

· Chickun maka lousy houspet
1,008 Posts
That's an awesome story. You father is truely in a better place. The time you got to spend with him is irreplacable.

I lost my father on October 15th, 2021, so I can empathize with what you might be going through. We all greive differently and there are oing to be things that are going to remind you of him and cause you to be sad. It's O.K. to miss him, as I'm sure he misses you...but most of all, he wanted you to be happy.

Remember this when you're feeling a little down, and try to remember some of his stories he shared with you. Those are GOLD!!! ...and cannot be replaced. Those memories keep him alive...

...but for GOD SAKES! Post up some pic's of that T-Bucket. I think we are all in agreement, pictures of your project should be shared with everyone!

· Clean is good...
2,750 Posts
God bless you Bill for being such a caring and devoted and loving son. You will be back hanging out with him on your next big journey!

Reactions: wrp

· Hell pecker yeah
10,907 Posts
Billy Bob, my deepest condolences. I'm glad that you and your dad were so close and you got to spend that time with him. When the dust settles and you want to hang out and do some hot rod stuff, let me know. I'll come up to your place, or you can use my shop. It's been too long and I look forward to hanging out again. - Jason

· Yes my name is Holden
869 Posts
Greetings WR; Other than the body not wanting to move, loosing a patent is the hardest issue we face as we age. Having a similar hobby with your dad is a Giant plus. What I miss the most is the family & area history that he had stored in his brain. Stay with this Outomobile hobby as it keeps ya young & constantly keeps ya thinkin', way better than putting puzzles together on the kitchen table. Ole' Bob.

· Chickun maka lousy houspet
1,008 Posts
☝ ☝ ☝

What Bob said. People sometimes wonder how the people we love, live on.

I believe they live on through our memories,. However, I also believe the things they did in their life, the things they made, their contributioins, and the things they built...that's also how they continue 'living''. (I can't think of a better word to use that what is quoted) They put their energy into something they felt was worth their time. Perfect example is the car you're working on. Certainly, you are putting in the effort, but your fathers memory is also in that car. It's not just a bunch of metal, rubber, glass and steel. It's your memory, your passion and all the sweat you invested.

You dad will live on through you and through the things you do in his memory....

• Love
Reactions: wrp and vanrah
1 - 17 of 17 Posts