LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pristine 2004 A4 GTO with 18,000 miles on it.

Last Friday while I was driving my car started to have a really bad miss.

It seemed like a coil pack went bad or something of the such. No big deal.

I slowly drove .5 mile to work doing 25mph with my flashers on.

I called the dealership and made an appointment for Monday morning. I even told them what codes the car was throwing. (P0300 - Random Misfire)

I then limped the car home doing 30mph all the way home with my flashers on.(15 min drive)

The next day I put the car in the garage and turned on the engine was trying to see if maybe I had maybe a bad wire, etc.

I could not figure root cause of the problem out, I then went to pull the car out of the garage. I gave the car some gas, so it would not die when I put it in Reverse. (Car would surge and die if put into gear)

In a split second I hear a rattle, the something let loose and a snap and white smoke blows out of my tailpipe. I look underneath the car and see my oil pan draining with pieces of metal everywhere. I have NEVER seen an engine do this before. NEVER. Nothing I did could have caused this.

I had the car towed to the dealership, they ARE covering the engine under warranty. They knew of my mods as well.

I now have other problems/concerns:

1) They cannot locate an LS1 Engine for me, supposedly it is on "SPAC".
Which is a high priority backorder. Can anyone help me locate an LS1
Engine, that is brand new and from GM?

2) The tow truck driver mangled up my rear bumper with his tow hook on the
flatbed. Do you think the tow company will cover the damage?

3) Do I even bother letting them fix it? Or just trade it in on a 2005/2006
GTO? I only owe $18,000 on my car right now.

I could literally cry right now, this car was my first new car EVER. Yes, I had my fun with the car, but the engine/matinence/body was maticulously maintained. I just dont know what to do. It might be months before I ever see my car again.

I want to thank DBT for helping me out, way above and beyond the call of duty.

Anyone chime in, I would appreciate any comments / comfort / advice you could give me.

EDIT:
Dealership called me at 5:41pm CST on 9/26/2006.

My LS1 motor is at the dealership, they are waiting for gaskets to install everything.

I will try to swing by and get some pictures of the blown motor out of the car.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. LS1Gto.com is a great group of guys!!

Nick

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Damn man. How in the hell did you throw a rod? Really sorry to hear that. You really didn't have that many mods on the engine did you besides headers? Hopefully all goes well. Who is doing the repairs? Anthony pontiac?

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Well heres the deal, you need to figure out what they will give you for the car trade in wise, and most of the time, unless you have really good credit, they will ask you for more $$$ to put down. They will try to screw you to make money, thats what they are in the business for. But on the lighter side if they cant find a motor, then it may be worth your while. I guarantee if you trade it in, they will find a motor in less then a week, and your car will be in the "Certified Mr. Goodwrench Vehicle" section selling for alot more then you got for the trade. Just my .02

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Ahhhh Nick :(

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
sounds familiar. maybe to much fuel built up, and snapped the rod. you cant be sure until you disect it.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Contact HRJ about the engine... I don't know if he can help you, but he has helped others.

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
first of all sorry about your motor, that sucks. good news dealer is warranty it for you. if motor is back ordered then spac case will get it there as soon as possible may take time not sure how long. let the tow company fix you bumper, make sure they know about it though. get a nice rental, if it is there more than a couple of weeks call gm assistance see if they'll make a payment for you. good luck.

mike

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pharmdgto said:
Damn man. How in the hell did you throw a rod? Really sorry to hear that. You really didn't have that many mods on the engine did you besides headers? Hopefully all goes well. Who is doing the repairs? Anthony pontiac?
I have no clue how it happened. It suprised the hell out of me.

Only mod to that engine was the SLP Midlength Headers.

Anthony Pontiac is doing the repairs, a friend of "DBT" (a member here) is going to be working on my car.

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1stGOAT said:
Since it is covered..... get it fixed. Why trade it in.
I'm just thinking of the people leaning over my fenders and all the door dings my car is going to have from sitting in the parking lot....I could vomit.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Wow that really sucks. Good luck to you.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
Take tons of pictures and videos of car before you leave it of back,front sides,interior,everything.. Then get your loaner and forget about it.
Whenever they tell you its done go get it and go over it with a fine tooth comb,any scratches,rips,tears,anything out of place show them the pics of when you brought it in and tell them youll be back when its perfect again.

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
maybe you can get an LS6 put in? hardcore had that done.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Yup... ask for the LS6 motor. It is actually like 100 cheaper than the ls1 anyways!

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jonlee said:
maybe you can get an LS6 put in? hardcore had that done.
PM sent to Hardcore, already :)

Thank you for the kind responses guys.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
ask for an ls2.....hey it cant hurt :secret:

·
RIP Jack of Hearts & Tootsie
7,563 Posts
HRJ FOR PRESIDENT
Huntress said:
Contact HRJ about the engine... I don't know if he can help you, but he has helped others.

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Mister Skizzels said:
How does that work???
Heck, tell them you will settle for an LS7.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts