LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as most of you know I installed my Magnacharger kit this past weekend. I'm guessing I'm one of the VERY few if not the only one (I think Jeff may be the other) to install this kit on thier own so I figured I'd give a few comments on that level.

1. This is by FAR the best major aftermarket product I've ever encountered, if GM were to supercharge the goat thier setup would look like this, no doubt in my mind. The engineering and thought that went into this kit is top notch and in quite a few ways eclipses OEM parts.

2. Fit and finish on the kit is incredible, our first shot on setting the supercharger onto the heads was a perfect match, nothing to move or re-route.

3. Simply the way the parts were packed made this kit a winner coming out of the boxes!! Each part is NEATLY packed, inspected and seperated, those of you with kits know what I'm talking about.

4. A person with a good mechanical background and a basic set of tools should have no problem installing this kit in a weekend without a lift, while it may look a little daunting just take your time and let it roll, it's really simple actually.

5. A word to the wise, I'm one of those people who likes to keep ALL thier stock parts and when Magnacharger told me to remove my MAF screen there was only one thing to do. I contacted TByrne Motorsports and got a set of thier GORGEOUS MAF ends, these things look GREAT! and should flow probably at least twice as good as the stock MAF housing with the screen out. My experience dealing with TBryne was exceptional as well, ultra friendly service and FAST shipping!

6. Also of HUGE note is Magnachargers top notch (and I DO NOT use that term loosely) marketing, sales and engineering department. Every question I had was met with a quick reply and they took the time, EVERY time to make sure even the silliest of questions was answered :)

Heres a pic of the finished product, I know you guys have seen this before but I figured what the heck :) If you have any questions regarding the install please let me know!

Look for the full install/dyno test in an upcoming issue of Speed Style & Sound Magazine!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Looks great! Do you have the latest Maggie tune?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Looks great. :cool: But I wanna see someone actually take one of these Maggies to the track. Numbers. I want numbers. :p

Padre

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the first tune, I next day aired my tuner back to Magnuson yesterday so I should have it back by the end of the week! Padre, I promise to take it to the track, but it may not be till next spring.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
GTPprix said:
Padre, I promise to take it to the track, but it may not be till next spring.
Doh! Like patience is one of my virtues. :banghead: Make the drive to Wichita this Saturday. Come on, you can do it! ;)

Padre

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PadreGTO said:
Doh! Like patience is one of my virtues. :banghead: Make the drive to Wichita this Saturday. Come on, you can do it! ;)

Padre
LOL yeah in my ample free time :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes I did the install myself also. And I have to say that this is probably the most complete and best aftermarket kit I have installed. It is so inclusive it is ridiculus(SP). And the LS1 is so beautiful to work on. The only thing you need help with is actually putting the assembly on the motor. With it weighing 80 lbs, it's a little hard to lean over and hold staright armed;).

And once on it looks so stock it's not funny. I have been asked many times.." So you put a polished or chrome pulley on? Wow Looks nice. Any performance gain?"

My reply " Just a little;)" And they don't realize about the blower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
JCMGTO said:
Yes I did the install myself also. And I have to say that this is probably the most complete and best aftermarket kit I have installed. It is so inclusive it is ridiculus(SP). And the LS1 is so beautiful to work on. The only thing you need help with is actually putting the assembly on the motor. With it weighing 80 lbs, it's a little hard to lean over and hold staright armed;).

And once on it looks so stock it's not funny. I have been asked many times.." So you put a polished or chrome pulley on? Wow Looks nice. Any performance gain?"

My reply " Just a little;)" And they don't realize about the blower.

How long did it take you? Any special tools helpful? Any problems at all?

·
Registered
119 Posts
GTP Who did you buy your s/c from & how long did it take to get it?

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought my kit directly from Magnuson (for the magazine) and it took roughly two weeks to get (5 days in transit from Ventura CA) IE REALLY quickly since these kits are on a made to order basis, including the calibration!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The reason I asked is I ordered one from TBYRNE on Sept. 9 and have not recieved it and they haven't told me when I will recieve it. When I ordered it I was told it usually takes about 10 days.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Question, I have already swapped out my crank pulley for an ASP reduction pulley. What will this mod do to the Magnacharger install and performance?

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Georgia Goat said:
The reason I asked is I ordered one from TBYRNE on Sept. 9 and have not recieved it and they haven't told me when I will recieve it. When I ordered it I was told it usually takes about 10 days.
I'd give TBYRNE a ring, they are VERY good about answering questions and such (in my experience). Cant hurt :) As far as the ASP pulley, I really have no idea what the EXACT ramifications would be, might want to give Magnuson a ring.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
1COOLPC said:
Question, I have already swapped out my crank pulley for an ASP reduction pulley. What will this mod do to the Magnacharger install and performance?
If the swapped pulley is the one that the Magnacharger is driven from, then you'll see less boost at a given RPM than the stock configuration. If it's not the pulley the M/C is driven from, then it won't make a difference.

That said, if it IS the same pulley, then you can get a different pulley on the Magnacharger to recover the lost boost (not sure if it's as simple as, if you have a 25% reduction pulley on the crank then you get a 25% increase pulley on the M/C, but it might be).

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldnt remember if the ASP is larger or smaller, definately gonna need a new belt for starters :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Congrats Chris!

I am glad it went so smoothly.

I am sure I will be forgiven in this instance for being envious! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts