LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fiddling with a Steeda shifter for a while I decided to try a Hurst F-Body shifter. After scoring barely used one on ebay for $9.00 dollars (yes, you read that right!) I began to modify it for GTO use. While I have seen some slot the mounting holes (leaving the front bolts barely hanging on) to make it line up properly, I decided to go a different route. Rather than slotting I just unbolted the tower from the base, drilled and tapped new 1/4-20 mounting holes .460" further to rear of the shifter. I then used a plasma cutter to remove the same amount of material from the shifter base to allow the shaft to swing in its complete arc. Moving the base back opened up a space between the original tower location and the shaft opoening in the plate so I used a small piece of 1/4" aluminum plate to cover the hole and secured it with the original front mounting holes.

With some much apprechiated help from others with the GMM, I made a GMM street style handle using 5/16" steel plate. I bent the handle to compensate for the tilt designed in the Hurst shaft and put a twist in it at the top to compenstae for the stock upper shaft 55 degree rotation.

What do you guys think of my method?

StolenFox

·
"How big could it be?"
480 Posts
VERY nicely done! When's it going on?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drivefastgto said:
VERY nicely done! When's it going on?

Hopefully soon! Ive got so many projects going right now its ridiculous. And of course zero time to do said projects.....

Thanks for the compliment!

StolenFox

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
nice! but isnt it gonna stick up too high?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jonlee said:
nice! but isnt it gonna stick up too high?

Optical illusion. The shifter knob will sit at the same or slightly lower than the stock shifter assembly.

StolenFox

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
are you sure? did you shorten the stock shifter shaft? or does that hurst sit an inch lower than the stock shifter? because think about it... the stock shifter assembly has the shifter shaft bolted directly to it. your adapter handle makes the shifter shaft sit up an inch to an inch and a half higher.

not trying to start any crap... sweet deal getting that thing on ebay. but just trying to see how it's possibly the same height with that adapter handle.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jonlee said:
are you sure? did you shorten the stock shifter shaft? or does that hurst sit an inch lower than the stock shifter? because think about it... the stock shifter assembly has the shifter shaft bolted directly to it. your adapter handle makes the shifter shaft sit up an inch to an inch and a half higher.

not trying to start any crap... sweet deal getting that thing on ebay. but just trying to see how it's possibly the same height with that adapter handle.
Quite sure! I have sitting on the work bench right next to the modified Hurst a complete stock GTO shifter assembly. When measuring from the bottom of the bases to the tops of the rubber mounted shifter shaft, they are within 1/8" of each other. Trust me, Ive used every measurement device in my garage on this project!!!!

StolenFox

·
Slow Guy, Fast Car
1,067 Posts
Looks good (and I've seen it in person) SF. I just got my GMM Race in the mail yesterday.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tiretread said:
Looks good (and I've seen it in person) SF. I just got my GMM Race in the mail yesterday.
Thanks Russ! Congrats on the GMM, Im sure you'll love it. Ive got some dynamat you could put on the handle if you are concerned about noise.

StolenFox

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
Very nice work my friend. All the shifters that I've modified and I never thought of moving the actual mechanism back and leaving the plate they way it is. Great idea. Looks good and I'm sure it will shift better.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Striped04 said:
Very nice work my friend. All the shifters that I've modified and I never thought of moving the actual mechanism back and leaving the plate they way it is. Great idea. Looks good and I'm sure it will shift better.

Thank You! Its been sitting on my workbench for 2 weeks waiting..... Waiting for me to stop building H-Pipes long enough to put it in. I am anxious to see how it works.

StolenFox

·
Slow Guy, Fast Car
1,067 Posts
Hey SF, it only took 2 hours for my non-mechanically-inclined-ass to put it in. I didn't even lose any fingers!!! BTW, I do love my Rip Shifter!!!

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
i need to make an adapter like you did to adjust where the stick throws. my throw isnt exactly where i like it but it is still 1000000000000x better then stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts