LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my life I have wanted a high end full suspension mountain bike. I have a nice entry level mountain bike (Trek 800) which I like very much, but when this little gem came my way I didn't hesitate to snatch it up. It is 20 years old but looks like it has barely ever been riden. When new it was $1700 and has some really high end components and rides like a dream. My only regret in getting it now is I doubt I'll have many opportunities to really ride it much before next Spring given how our weather has turned.

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
I remember those when they were new!

I had a similar design frame made by Giant back then.

If it makes you feel any better my current ride is a 22 year old Cannondale Killer V900.

I just rebuilt it again this early summer but haven't hardly ridden it due to some pain in the ass health problems.

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It still needs a few adjustments. Shifters and brakes work great but the front shocks are a little on the soft side and I'm not entirely sure how to adjust them but probably done with the knobs on top of the strut towers. It also has a wireless CatsEye computer and spare set of smooth Continental tires. I'm so used to my Trek so the first time I used the brakes on the Haro I almost went over the handle bar, they REALLY grab.

·
Registered Offender
31,115 Posts
hell you could have told me it was new and I wouldn't have noticed lol

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aside from a few very small random scratches in the paint it looks like new. Nubbies on the tires don't even show any wear (yet). It is 7005 aluminum and very light compared to my chromoly Trek.

·
Omertà
5,287 Posts
My balls hurt just looking at that seat.

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
lol

Can't say I've ever had that problem. Some other things down that way but not me balls.

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
Rich, what's with all the extension chords? lol you got freezers full of dead people?

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich, what's with all the extension chords? lol you got freezers full of dead people?
Halloween decorations! I'll try to get a picture after dark and post up a photo.

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
What's with the link in your sig there mr indian?

·
HGH Optimist
6,507 Posts
Why don’t you consider topic about cars, can someone tell me about hyundai elantra price in india? I found a good option here, but would like to consider others option too. Maybe someone has a proven website with price?
lemonparty has great options!

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I missed something, but anyway.

Replaced the grips, moved my bags, saddle, and bar ends over from my old bike. Going for a ride now....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
As long as you are happy, that bike is so far behind the drivetrain, shifter, brake and suspension tech that the new modern mountain bikes use. I doubt those forks have much adjustability to them at all. Parts for the drivetrain are going to be hard to find now as well.

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As long as you are happy, that bike is so far behind the drivetrain, shifter, brake and suspension tech that the new modern mountain bikes use. I doubt those forks have much adjustability to them at all. Parts for the drivetrain are going to be hard to find now as well.
Gee dude, buzzkill much?

Yeah, and my 65 Chevelle starts, runs and drives as does my 2006 GTO. They both get the job done, just one does so with a lot less technology involved but both are a ball to drive. In the 25+ years I owned my Trek I never replaced a single part aside from the handlebar grips. And as far as parts should I ever need them, well, I own a 2006 GTO and my other cars are nearly 55 years old so I guess I know something about stockpiling and chasing down parts.

I paid a whopping $200 for this "new" bike, would be rather hard to find a new one with all that great new technology for that price.... I paid more than that for my ultra basic Trek back in the day.

·
15,892 Posts
Nice thing about older stuff is chances are it's not made in china crap.

I still have my 1986 Miyata road bike bought new , as well as an 80's Raleigh with all Dura Ace components and either one is made very well, not throwaway like a lot of new, even higher priced stiff.

·
Premium Member
35,704 Posts
Ut'
Gee dude, buzzkill much?

Yeah, and my 65 Chevelle starts, runs and drives as does my 2006 GTO. They both get the job done, just one does so with a lot less technology involved but both are a ball to drive. In the 25+ years I owned my Trek I never replaced a single part aside from the handlebar grips. And as far as parts should I ever need them, well, I own a 2006 GTO and my other cars are nearly 55 years old so I guess I know something about stockpiling and chasing down parts.

I paid a whopping $200 for this "new" bike, would be rather hard to find a new one with all that great new technology for that price.... I paid more than that for my ultra basic Trek back in the day.
this man gets it.

·
GR-RRR!
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another thing we tend to lose sight of anymore is that newer isn't always better.

Just for fun I looked at Trek's site and their lowest priced full suspension bike STARTS at $2100. An entry level Haro full suspension is $1300 but the bikes they are making now don't really compare well to the bikes they were making 15-20 years ago.

·
Slow Goat
247 Posts
I was looking at a few used full suspension bikes this spring when I was getting into mountain biking and realized the full suspension was a waste unless it had a lockout. Makes you work a lot harder than a hardtail.

A guy a ride with has a 2017 specialized epic full suspension that he can't push even close to it's limits.

I just picked this up, I'm not going off jumps or anything but it handles the trails great. It's a 2019 Giant Talon 3 29'r. I love it, i'll probably upgrade the forks eventually.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,456 Posts
Neat Rich. Question would you consider putting disc brakes on that.

I just to think they were a nice to have but riding a few mountain bikes with disc recently I really like them. Mildly surprised really.

Otherwise I can't imagine what other tech is new on a bike these days. Short of materials - derailleurs haven't really changed much in a long long time. chains etc.

OH and for me that seat would have to be traded. way too narrow. but I'm also told I'm too fat to bike too. so whateves.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts