LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
15,967 Posts
Discs are especially good if you go thru water, mud etc.

Tripped me out a few years ago first time I saw hydraulic discs on a bike...currently have reg discs on my fat bike, but thought about changing to hyd.

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Neat Rich. Question would you consider putting disc brakes on that.

I just to think they were a nice to have but riding a few mountain bikes with disc recently I really like them. Mildly surprised really.

Otherwise I can't imagine what other tech is new on a bike these days. Short of materials - derailleurs haven't really changed much in a long long time. chains etc.

OH and for me that seat would have to be traded. way too narrow. but I'm also told I'm too fat to bike too. so whateves.
I've given it some thought but I think I'd have to also change the wheels to be able to accept the rotors. That would end up being more expensive than it might be worth (to me at least). I never ride in the wet. The brakes on this bike are so amazingly better than those on my old Trek that I almost went over the handle bars the first time I rode this new bike.

I did swap the seat up to a broader, softer seat that I already had on my Trek. I should post up another photo of the bike after the updates I have made (changed grips, added bar ends, swapped on my better seat, bags and lights from my Trek). The bike came to me with a very nice CatEye wireless speedo and all it needed was a new battery which my friend Bob added to the bike before I bought it from him.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,482 Posts
I was surprised too - my mountain bike (27 year old hardtail) has rim brakes and they work great. but I have to admit I've replaced a rim or 2 due to off roading and graping some crap on brake pad that ate into the rim. Or the times the rim is wet and the brakes take a moment

The disc brakes remove those issues and last a long time I hear. Course I say all this and haven't put any on mine because I just don't ride it much. tooling around with the 5 year old on her bike - I don't need any of this.

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I need lights for mine - or I think I do.
Mine are just teeny "be seen" lights more than lights to see in the dark by. If I do ride after dark it is in town and there are streetlights. I added a white front and a red rear set of LED lights. They can be turned on steady and the front white does illuminate the road immediately in front of me a bit but the feature I like is that they can be set to blink which makes me a whole lot more visible to cars after dark. They were really inexpensive, about $20 for the pair, and simply attach with a rubber strap. I've had them over a year and have yet to replace the little button batteries that power them.

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some photos of the bike with the updates I've done and a few closeups of some of the interesting pieces. The only thing left I might add are some small fenders so I can ride on wet streets without getting dirty. As it stands it weighs in at just under 36 pounds. That's even less than my now undressed Trek.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sorry if you thought I was coming off as a "Buzz Kill", reality is I ride alot and at one point had 5 bikes in the garage just for me, not including the two for the wife. The issue with parts is still there, the older drivetrains are not supported much these days. I do the vast majority of my own work on our bikes and some friends bikes. Heck it has been hard to even find 10spd stuff from Shimano, the Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 stuff are getting hard to find cassettes and chains though KMC still offers decent chains. My road bike (2014 Giant Propel Advanced with Ultegra Di2) is almost at the point to where the 1st generation Di2 stuff cant be sourced. So at some point I will push that bike back over to a 11spd mechanical Ultegra setup.

As long as you enjoy it have fun, being on a bike is better than sitting on the couch no matter the ride. I just cleaned up my 2015 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 full suspension to get it ready for this season. I slacked off last season due to some family stuff. I had just put a new fork,shock and 11spd Shimano XTR drivetrain on it before I hung it up on the wall last year. Time to get out and ride it, it is full carbon including the wheels and everything else. It came in around 24lbs as it sits now and even that is heavy compared to the new bikes.

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry if you thought I was coming off as a "Buzz Kill", reality is I ride alot and at one point had 5 bikes in the garage just for me, not including the two for the wife. The issue with parts is still there, the older drivetrains are not supported much these days. I do the vast majority of my own work on our bikes and some friends bikes. Heck it has been hard to even find 10spd stuff from Shimano, the Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 stuff are getting hard to find cassettes and chains though KMC still offers decent chains. My road bike (2014 Giant Propel Advanced with Ultegra Di2) is almost at the point to where the 1st generation Di2 stuff cant be sourced. So at some point I will push that bike back over to a 11spd mechanical Ultegra setup.

As long as you enjoy it have fun, being on a bike is better than sitting on the couch no matter the ride. I just cleaned up my 2015 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 full suspension to get it ready for this season. I slacked off last season due to some family stuff. I had just put a new fork,shock and 11spd Shimano XTR drivetrain on it before I hung it up on the wall last year. Time to get out and ride it, it is full carbon including the wheels and everything else. It came in around 24lbs as it sits now and even that is heavy compared to the new bikes.
I guess I just don't ride enough or hard enough to break much so I expect this bike will last me a good long time. As I said earlier, in all the years I've had my Trek, 25+ years, I've never replaced a thing other than the handlebar grips which dried out and split. It still rides like new though I've adjusted the brakes and shifters a few times.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,482 Posts
the only time I ever broke a derailleur on a bike was when I rode through some saw grass once and got it wound up around the tensioner - I was humpin it and apparently generated enough torque to bend/rip the mechanism. Yeah that was fun (came off the front, fell on my knee and wrist, etc etc)

Otherwise - I have a 2001 trek sitting in my garage now that needs new tires and a good clean up. I don't recall what brand of derailleur is on it other than shimano something not top of the line. With some cantilever brakes in good nick, etc. You can call that as old as you want - it is.

sInce I don't race I don't get the idea of paying a boatload for a lighter mountain bike. Especially mountain bike. Sell me a bike with a cro-molly steel frame (like mine is now) and some decent accessories - would love a US made stuff but that's not going to happen. I don't care that it's 3 lbs heavier than ___ I'm riding mostly for exercise anyway so more is good right. OH and it's not the cost of a reasonable car.

anyway - another hobby to get into

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's similar to my needs. I just have always WANTED a more top end type of bike even though I really don't have a justification for one given how I use my bike(s). It was still thrilling to get a much better bike for just a little bit of $$$ even though it is older tech. This "new" one is still light years better than what I've been riding.

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,179 Posts
As an non-expert mountain biker, I'd say the biggest thing lacking was disc brakes.

I don't know how tall you are, but all you can find these days are 29ers. I am simply not tall enough to ride one.

Real mountain bikers don't need brakes and only need a single speed.

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,147 Posts
A few years back I picked up a new GT Avalanche. Front suspension and hydraulic disc brakes. I didn't even know they were doing that when I went to bike store. Now, I will never buy another bike that doesn't have hydraulic disc brakes. What a difference!

Rich, enjoy your "new" bike. Congrats on getting what you wanted. :thumbs:

·
GR-RRR!
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Added some fenders for wet streets. They clip on so they can be left at home most of the time and just snapped back on when needed. I also installed a pair of street tires. So much easier to peddle with smooth tread and they are tons quieter than those knobbies. They can be inflated to 80 lbs for a really quick ride, have them at 60 right now. I can always switch back if I want/need the dirt tread. I also bought a spare tube and CO2 emergency inflater since there is nowhere convenient to carry a small pump.

·
Premium Member
82,627 Posts

21 - 34 of 34 Posts