LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Got the swing arm back from the welding shop, seems to have done a nice job. I had to clean up the cup where the bushing goes a bit but that was no big deal. I found a paint that matches EXACTLY so it should be back to new later this weekend. Just waiting for the paint to cure.

·
GR-RRR!
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Had a bit of a time reinstalling the clamp bolt on the side that was fixed. The bolt hole didn't quite line up, I had to tweak the newly repaired end to line it up. I hope the mounting bushing will still line up with the main bike frame.

I sure could use a bike repair stand......

·
GR-RRR!
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All back together. Not sure why, but even the front derailleur was whacked out of adjustment (it wasn't even touched in the disassembly). I ended up completely tuning up the shifting front and rear and adjusting the rear brakes. Everything works great now and it is a lot more clean than it was a week ago. I even sanded the glaze off the rear brake pads while was at it.

I did order a bike repair stand online, thinking of also buying the special tool that allows you to remove the gear cassette off the rear wheel, but I honestly don't know why I'd ever need it, I like the gears on the bike just as they are. I did find that one of the idler pulley gears in the derailleur is cracked, I have to order a new one once I find out which ones exactly fit my application.

·
GR-RRR!
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Old as the bike, so 20 years old. But the bike was never actually used prior to me getting it last October. I ordered new derailleur gears this morning.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
523 Posts
I still have the bike my parents bought me when I was a teenager. It's a 6-speed Huffy "beach bike" with knobby tires. I replaced the pedals with bear claw pedals back then, and put on a wider seat. I rode it in the woods, on trails, in the snow, pretty much anywhere. I don't get much of a chance to ride it much, even though we have a couple good bike trails in the area, one is a converted railroad so it's nice and flat, the other loops around the airport (BWI).

41 - 47 of 47 Posts