LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
RIP 8/29/05 "The Katrina GTO"
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, finally found my way to this site.

That was my 2005 Yellow Jacket GTO with the SAP Grilles under water! :bomb:

I'm sure you all could imagine my horror when I walked out of the buildling we had been sheltered in for four days with no power or A/C...all 600 of us. I don't dare compare my loss to that of others, I had great insurance and my loss has already been covered...but this is a GTO site, right?

I have also seen it featured on the www.af.mil website, the Air Force Times newspaper, and the Shaw Spirit, the base paper for Shaw AFB which just happens to be in the town I live in (Sumter, SC). I'm sure it came up elsewhere, but that is what I know for sure. I was half tempted to buy it back just because of how famous it is...No, not really. The insurance company wanted $8k to buy it back...and the thought of having to replace the LS2 engine alone is shuddering.

I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS (IMO the hardest hit area) for some training. We had to stay and shelter on the base for 4 days without being allowed to even go outside! In any case, by the time I got to see the car, most of the water was gone...here are some pics...CE (civil engineering) actually took the flood pics from a rather large (probably bucket truck) as the Hurricane was just starting to bear down on the base...hence the intact windows in the water shot.

BTW: It wasn't all bad, the GAP protection on my loan soaked up the $7k I lost on my crappy upside down trade, and.....

I just bought an Impulse Blue '05 with blue leather and chrome 18" rims today! I paid about $29,300 not including the rims...not too bad.

I picked the impulse blue because I fell in love with it at the dealer especially the blue leather and the chrome rims...*drool*...and besides, the dealer had 2 yellow 05's there...and i have seen a couple others around town...I haven't seen another IBM / Blue yet.

If anyone is looking for a great deal on an 05...Jones Pontiac GMC in Sumter, SC (www.jonespontiacgmc.net) has 9 on the lot...err, 8 now...all going for Employee Pricing plus. Mention my name (and be lucky if they don't kick you out afterwards...lmao) Seriously though, they have 2 yellow, 2 red, 2 midnight blue, 1 cyclone grey, 1 black...all with 18" rims and only 2 are auto...

Anyway, thought you all might like to know who owned that car, and that I stayed loyal and got another one...

Attachments

·
Evil Conservative Hatemonger
1,238 Posts
Wow, the famous Biloxi yellow goat owner at last! I wish we could have welcomed you under better circumstances Impulsive but I'm glad to hear you're all sorted out with a new car.

·
Losing Posts By The Day...
1,192 Posts
Damn so there it is. Can we get some more pics. I will buy it right now for $1,000 from your insurance.

I think Hurricane katrina flooded it and Hurricane impulsive05 broke the windows out in rage after seeing it.

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
Wow man. Great to meet ya, that is one pic for history. Glad to see you stuck it out with a new goat!

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
I'll follow up with another big WOW!!!!!

Glad to hear the owner is doing well though, which is always more important.
Out of curiosity, why didn't you get another yellow? And do you know how much the ins. company would have wanted to buy the old one back?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the warm welcome guys...

yeah the pebbles being thrown around from the wind shattered at least a couple windows on every car there...winds were clocked at over 100 mph on the base before they took out the measuring devices!!!

I will post more pics of the yellow one and also new pics of the blue one as soon as I get those as well...

These are all pictures I personally took after we were let outside...

Attachments

·
USN Retired
690 Posts
Welcome to the site, man, glad you are okay. Impulse Blue is a better color. :D

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
just out of curiosity...is the trunklid ok? :secret: :D

·
Family Wagon of Fun
9,137 Posts
Welcome to the site. And believe me, if you haven't found out by searching already, you previous car is a freaking ICON here....

Sorry it couldn't have been under better circumstances and hope you keep this one above water!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I don't need one now dammit! :D

Seriously, I was gonna ask how the windows were broken because in the now infamous picture, they weren't....yet!

Who took that picture of it being flooded just out of curiousity?

That rear floor makes me cringe...

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the one that is in your SIG!!!

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
impulsive05 said:
the one that is in your SIG!!!
He's just messing around man. About 1 in 5 people on this site had that pic in their avatar or started a thread on the subject 2 weeks ago, EVERYONE knows about that car.

btw, in your sig it says RIP Camaro. Did you lose the Camaro in Katrina too?!

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no..the camaro was lost via a stupid lead footed buddy...lol

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
We were curious if that car belonged to one of our members. Sorry. But, it had to leave a good impression on you to want to get another. And people wonder why I get nervous around viscious storms.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts