LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cluttering up someone else’s thread, so I felt like making my own. Why? I dunno, bored right now. Plus I can kinda keep track of what I’m doing and what I’ve done and liked and didn’t like. First I’ll give you a little background on me.

I used to professionally install audio and security and a few well known shops around town. Also for a couple major chains. I was pretty good at it. I’ve built boxes and many custom systems. I even designed and built a box for F body’s that slammed so hard, my boss had it copied from a major sub enclosure manufacturer and started selling them.

Anywhoo. I’ve been out of this for quite a while although I haven’t forgot anything and I’ve still installed people’s shit over the years. I had lost unrest in it because that was my job for over a decade so you know you get worn out when you do something too much. I have a contact at Rockford Fosgate who would send me all kinds of stuff to test and i had piled up a bunch of stuff but didn’t feel like putting it in my car until recently. He still sends me stuff from time to time, a lot of times he offers and I just have to say no because I feel like mooch. Lol. He’d probably be mad if he knew I bought Fosgate speakers for my sims truck instead of getting them from him. Needless to say, I’m a Fosgate fan. Always have ever since having an original punch 45. Yea. What you know about that? Legendary punch 45. Unfortunately I’ve always been a kicker sub fan tho. He’s sent me a bunch of subs including a (when it came out) prototype carbon fiber 12” sub....but none of what I’ve tried can beat my OLD kicker square 8”. That thing is over 20 years old. Been through numerous vehicles. Numerous amps. It’s absolutely the best and must durable sub I’ve ever owned. It’s on a 750w class d mono amp currently. Just banging.
I guess enough of story time.....I decided I wanted my car to sound better than the stock radio in my 2019 Silverado. It’s sad that a stock stereo was sounding better that a system with an aftermarket radio, two amps, a sub and punch separates. So I had to do something. Up until now I didn’t care as long as I had some audible sound in the car. I’ll highlight what I’ve done and what I’m planning....if you care lol. Because it’s not like I can quantify how it sounds. And how something sounds is always subjective anyways. In my younger years I didn’t care much about mid bass from the highs. I do now. I didn’t care much about sound stage or road noise going down the road (not alternator whine, just noise from driving) but I do now.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picture time I guess....
I had this pioneer unit. Loved it. Sounded good. But I wanted to be able to run the torque app for gauges. Like a dummy I sold it for $100. Idiot I am.

This is what I replaced it with

BTW...I laid out that carbon fiber to make that radio trim.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 4x100 punch on the highs and a 750x1 on a kicker L5 8” square sub. I made a fiberglass box for it probably 20 years ago lol

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oddly I had the factory speakers for a couple years. They didn’t sound bad actually but because I was given a bee set of punch separates, might as well put them in. This Pictish here recently when I decided the mid bass just wasn’t cutting it for me so I had to seal off the doors and put foam on the outer edges of the speakers. Ever notice they do that a lot from the factory? Wanna know why? If you don’t direct the sound out the panel and it’s inset far enough.....the bass will somewhat cancel itself out and kill your mid bass. This foam does definitely help.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Interesting. Will stay tuned. Would like to upgrade audio this year. I haven’t had anything other than factory for too long now.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
388 Posts
Looks good man. I really need to go through mine but I'm trying to do everything at once to avoid taking panels off more than once.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered two sets of the entry level MB quart 6.5” separates. I plan on resting them back to back against my fosgate separates. Whichever sounds better will stay in the front doors. The mb quart tweets are going in the dash because I blew the Fosgate tweets. The rear side panels are gonna get mb quarts. I have punch pro 8” mid bass units to go in the rear deck, the 3D printed adapter rings have been ordered for that. Depending.....I MAY put another Fosgate 4 channel amp in to run the rear side panel speakers....unless the two 8” have enough bass for me to remove my sub. I also have a single blaupunkt 8” sub I’m going to compare to the 8” punch mid bass units. If Blaupunkt takes the win, I’ll go buy another one and sell the punch pros.
I also wanted to try something. I had some of that lightweight bubble insulation laying around. I mainly did it for the mid bass improvement, not only did it help, it made my car interior noise drastically reduced. The wind noise is reduced by 90%. I didn’t realize how much noise was coming through the doors and it still had the rain shield completely sealed and never peeled back. Amazing difference and I highly recommend doing at least your doors.

·
Daily Driver
173 Posts
Oddly I had the factory speakers for a couple years. They didn’t sound bad actually but because I was given a bee set of punch separates, might as well put them in. This Pictish here recently when I decided the mid bass just wasn’t cutting it for me so I had to seal off the doors and put foam on the outer edges of the speakers. Ever notice they do that a lot from the factory? Wanna know why? If you don’t direct the sound out the panel and it’s inset far enough.....the bass will somewhat cancel itself out and kill your mid bass. This foam does definitely help.
I didn't think to put the foam back around my door speakers...
What are the dimensions of the foam (1/2x1/2 or 3/4x3/4)? I need to take my shit apart again so I can install my new door handles and I want to get that done while I have it all open.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think to put the foam back around my door speakers...
What are the dimensions of the foam (1/2x1/2 or 3/4x3/4)? I need to take my shit apart again so I can install my new door handles and I want to get that done while I have it all open.
So you can actually order them. I did not know that and bought a roll of frost king high density foam from Home Depot. It was about $15 and it was 1” x 1” although when it’s compressed on the roll, it’s about half inch thick. It says expandable on the package. It was in the door seal section at Home Depot. I cut a 21” piece and then cut it down the middle to make it 1/2” wide. The ones you order are about the same price and probably better tho. Had I known, I would have just ordered some.

here’s the Home Depot stuff

·
Wol Gemut
3,407 Posts
i have some of those Stinger roadkill rings unused atroiano, free if you want them. NE phoenix.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have some of those Stinger roadkill rings unused atroiano, free if you want them. NE phoenix.
I’ll take em for my rears if he doesn’t need them

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
204 Posts
I ordered two sets of the entry level MB quart 6.5” separates. I plan on resting them back to back against my fosgate separates. Whichever sounds better will stay in the front doors. The mb quart tweets are going in the dash because I blew the Fosgate tweets. The rear side panels are gonna get mb quarts. I have punch pro 8” mid bass units to go in the rear deck, the 3D printed adapter rings have been ordered for that. Depending.....I MAY put another Fosgate 4 channel amp in to run the rear side panel speakers....unless the two 8” have enough bass for me to remove my sub. I also have a single blaupunkt 8” sub I’m going to compare to the 8” punch mid bass units. If Blaupunkt takes the win, I’ll go buy another one and sell the punch pros.
I also wanted to try something. I had some of that lightweight bubble insulation laying around. I mainly did it for the mid bass improvement, not only did it help, it made my car interior noise drastically reduced. The wind noise is reduced by 90%. I didn’t realize how much noise was coming through the doors and it still had the rain shield completely sealed and never peeled back. Amazing difference and I highly recommend doing at least your doors.
I like what you did on the doors. I put sound deadening in the rear deck, seat back and rear interior panels. I am planing on doing the doors next and I like what you did here vs. the stick on sound deadening.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like what you did on the doors. I put sound deadening in the rear deck, seat back and rear interior panels. I am planing on doing the doors next and I like what you did here vs. the stick on sound deadening.
NOTE: Bottom of the door panel has large blocks of foam that protrude into the door. I sliced the silver barrier and folded it into the door divots and taped that up with duct tape.....pics next time panels are off....

·
Wol Gemut
3,407 Posts
I’ll take em for my rears if he doesn’t need them
absolutely kfx, but there would be shipping involved, atro it appears is local. unless you are planning a trip to Phoenix.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
absolutely kfx, but there would be shipping involved, atro it appears is local. unless you are planning a trip to Phoenix.
I dont mind paying shipping. Hell I'll send you $15 for your troubles.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the mb quart tweets in last night. The tweeter part sounds much better. I'm kinda rethinking this whole situation. I was listening to it last night and the (6) 6.5" speakers actually have pretty damn good bass except the rears rattle....because the 4 rear speakers are still factory so I think they have seen better days. So let me get you guy's opinion on my options..

I could....

punch power 6.5's in the doors
mb quart in the rear side panels
punch pro 8" mids in the rear deck (i'm concerned of maybe a lack of bass and too much midrange..taking over the front)

OR

Mb quart front and rear side panels and punch 6.5's in the rear deck

OR

some real 8" subs in the rear deck and mb quart in rear side panels and punch 6.5
I have a blaupunkt 8" sub that I'm gonna test...

I just cant decide what will be the best combo.

·
Wol Gemut
3,407 Posts
I dont mind paying shipping. Hell I'll send you $15 for your troubles.
which ones would you like (if I do not hear back from atroiano)? i have two new unused (right hand side). i have one that for some reason, cannot remember why, the two rings are missing the paper backing, but the adhesive is still nearly intact, as you can see. then i have a bunch of the centers since i did not always use that piece that goes behind the speaker. View attachment 506473

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This weekend I installed the mb quarts. For such an inexpensive speaker, they sound really good. On radio power, they were about half as loud as the factory speakers however. The reason is they are 4 ohm vs 2 ohm for the factory and I suspect the sensitivity rating is higher on the factory. Because of that, you need more power for the same volume. However, they have much more bass than factory and don’t sound all muddy and distorted at high volume. I ended up putting all four rears on the rear channels of my amp. Sounds very very hood. Much better than factory. Sounds like I have a sub. The front punch separates now sound a little muddy. I think it’s because I made a baffle behind them with dynamat. I’m going to remove one side and see how that sounds. So on to some pics.

This is what you see when you take the side panel off. I don’t recall anyone posting a pic like this, so here you go.

Co worker gave me two bags of this stuff. Guess it’ll help take away some noise, I don’t know. Cant hurt lol.

Then I sealed off the whole area with sound deadener. I also took advantage of the panels being off to fix the vinyl at the top of the panel by the window that has become detached. I also reglued the factory jute to the back of the panel.

·
Wol Gemut
3,407 Posts
you may want to use the roadkill center pad behind the 6.5" if they are muddy. that is its purpose, absorb and deaden back waves. also, under the dash tweeter location, I laid down closed cell foam strips all over that area. might not be necessary for tweeters but definitely does not hurt, if it is your tweeters that are muddy. one other thing i did, all that area in rear panel can use some dynomat, maybe not to cover but at least spaced to deaden. a lot of road noise comes in through there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts