LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people have been asking me about the boxes I have installed in the rear sidepanels. Since I just had the system pulled from my 04 GTO and it is being installed (as I type) in my 06. I was able to get the measurements off the box while the boxes were out.

Here is a pic of the box installed:

Based off of my measurements, here is a diagram of the box:

You might need to do a bit of sanding on the bottom as seen in the pic to make it fit without interfering with the panel.

Have fun!!

Bob

·
South Tx Goat Hearder
30 Posts
What size sub are you running in your box?

·
South Tx Goat Hearder
30 Posts
what kind of amp did you use? how do you have your set up? i just got my first goat, less than 1000 miles on her, and had to head back over seas to work, so i am doing as much research as possible.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlazinGoat said:
what kind of amp did you use? how do you have your set up? i just got my first goat, less than 1000 miles on her, and had to head back over seas to work, so i am doing as much research as possible.
I am using a Cadence ZRS-4. 4 channel amp with the front channels running Cadence CVL-6K for the door and tweets, with the rear channels bridged to run the subs. The amp is driven by a JL CleanSweep that is fed from the stock HU.

Cadence audio eqipment is not very well known in the US, but is very popular over in Europe.

My installer said he did an install for a 06 Brazen GTO using the same basic idea, but used JL 10W1's for the subs.

Bob

Bob

·
South Tx Goat Hearder
30 Posts
Which JL Clean Sweep did you use? And how many subs are you running?

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two subs, one in each panel.

There is really only one CleanSweep that you need to use with the goat.
CL441dsp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

The CL-SSI is designed for stock HU that have different channels for tweets, mids and bass.

THe CL-SES is used to expand the number of Aux inputs.

Bob

·
Suffering Fools
15,248 Posts

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lothar34 said:
Somebody was raving over the Soundstream SPL subs some time ago. It looks like Parts Express got a pretty good deal buying out some 10" and 12" DVC models:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&filter=sound stream&raid=25&rak=Soundstream&wt.sv1

The recommended box size for those 10"s is about .4cuft, so they'd work well in the side panels, for anyone who is looking...
It will also depend on the depth of the sub. With this box there is only about 4.5" to play with.

Bob

·
Suffering Fools
15,248 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
It will also depend on the depth of the sub. With this box there is only about 4.5" to play with.

Bob
Oh OK nevermind then. When you said the box was 6" deep, I thought that was internal.

Those Soundstream 10"s are 5.5" deep.

·
Owns a KIA
6,389 Posts
Okay, so I know I'm bringing this tread back to life from the dead, but I'm thinking of building something like this instead of doing a seat delete, because I didn't think about people stealing my car to get to my speakers. So... What kind of wood did you use to build your box? And how thick was it? Also, were you able to put the stock molding back on to achieve the "this is stock, don't mess with me" look?

One more thing. How much room is recommended between the bottom of the box, and the end of the speaker?

·
Suffering Fools
15,248 Posts
Medium density fiberboard (MDF). 3/4". Yes, but if you build the box as thick as his, you'll have to grind down a bit at that lower front corner to get the trim piece back on completely. Depends on the speaker, but usually you want 1/2" between the back of the box and the magnet. There aren't a whole lot of subs out there that will fit in a box this shallow.

·
Owns a KIA
6,389 Posts
Lothar,

How do you feel about Elemental Design speakers? They sure seem to be pretty cheap for such a shallow sub. Is this the case of cheap materials or the fact that there is no overhead?

·
Suffering Fools
15,248 Posts
Lothar,

How do you feel about Elemental Design speakers? They sure seem to be pretty cheap for such a shallow sub. Is this the case of cheap materials or the fact that there is no overhead?
If you're takling about the SQ10, get it and try it out please. I'm curious to know how good they are.

The reason they are $55 is because of this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-862

Apparently ED designed the sub and sent the design to a shop in China for manufacturing. The shop there looked it over, and decided not to produce it, so ED had to find another place to manufacture them. In the meantime, the Chinese shop sold the design to somebody else and it eventually made its way to Tang Band, who produced it. I don't know if TB knew where the design came from or not, but the people at ED were not amused, and they promised to undersell TB when their sub was ready:
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?p=321293#post321293

·
2004 IBM A4
1,287 Posts
Hmm, so did they not patent their design or something? I'd figure they could sue away after something like that, but better for customers due to lower price.

·
Suffering Fools
15,248 Posts
Hmm, so did they not patent their design or something? I'd figure they could sue away after something like that, but better for customers due to lower price.
Not sure exactly why they let it happen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts