LS1GTO Forums banner

301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
it drives good. Just doesn’t leave hard. Probably swapping it out
Nice! I have not taken my car to the track. Maybe one of these days. What are you leaning towards?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Nice! I have not taken my car to the track. Maybe one of these days. What are you leaning towards?
probably a 3800. But I’m not worried about it right now. Cranked it up this morning and now it making a loud tapping noise. Motor might be coming out now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
probably a 3800. But I’m not worried about it right now. Cranked it up this morning and now it making a loud tapping noise. Motor might be coming out now.
Good luck with the motor. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
You've gotta be kidding...
nope. I’m not. Not sure why. I leaned my afr to 11.5-11.6 and I pulled my logs later that night and saw it picked up some knock. Which it never does because the timing is so low. I put some boostane in it and seems like I added knock. I dunno. Trying to decide what I’m doing about it right now. Probably gonna build a h beam rod and forged piston bottom end.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
get one of those harbor frieght endoscope cameras and look around in there before you start tearing stuff apart.

I've made up my mind that this motor is coming out and a boost prepped 5.3 is going in. I dont want to feel on edge every time I mash the pedal with this LS1. I came out lucky not punching a window through it. I've already started buying parts and cleaning and prepping my 5.3. I scored a gen 4 rotating assembly too.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've made up my mind that this motor is coming out and a boost prepped 5.3 is going in. I dont want to feel on edge every time I mash the pedal with this LS1. I came out lucky not punching a window through it. I've already started buying parts and cleaning and prepping my 5.3. I scored a gen 4 rotating assembly too.
called it, but was .7 of a liter off. It will be interesting to see what less cubes do to turbo spool, if anything.

build/break/fix/repeat. Can’t remember where I got that from but seems apropos

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
called it, but was .7 of a liter off. It will be interesting to see what less cubes do to turbo spool, if anything.

build/break/fix/repeat. Can’t remember where I got that from but seems apropos
Well the little 5.3 has shown to have great potential. Hopefully it’s not far behind my 5.7 at the same boost. Be pretty interesting to go to the track and run again without messing with the boost level. Not a bad idea. It’s going to go faster for sure because it’s going to be better setup than before. I’ll be getting a new convertor that better matches my combo so I can leave the line in boost instead of vacuum. Plus I’m gonna get my fuel system lined out better. My goal is a [email protected] 140 or better. I’ll be buying new axles and crap soon too.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
Well the little 5.3 has shown to have great potential. Hopefully it’s not far behind my 5.7 at the same boost. Be pretty interesting to go to the track and run again without messing with the boost level. Not a bad idea. It’s going to go faster for sure because it’s going to be better setup than before. I’ll be getting a new convertor that better matches my combo so I can leave the line in boost instead of vacuum. Plus I’m gonna get my fuel system lined out better. My goal is a [email protected] 140 or better. I’ll be buying new axles and crap soon too.
Your gonna have to do some suspension stuff. Minitub and fatto wheels n tires. Gforce rear coilovers.

Smurf it. Moser 9". DOOOOEEEET.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Your gonna have to do some suspension stuff. Minitub and fatto wheels n tires. Gforce rear coilovers.

Smurf it. Moser 9". DOOOOEEEET.
Yes probably so. I’ll need better tires. Got those. Better convertor. Working on that. I have drag bags, and I’ll probably do shocks/struts. Honestly I’m not gonna try to leave very hard but try to make it up with sheer power. That’s part of the reason I’m building a 5.3, to kill some bottom end tq but make good HP.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
I don't believe you.

Guess what. You have a fever. And the only prescription...

...is moar cah parts.
Yea. You right. I need to attend some AA meetings. (Automotive addicts)

Man I’m still getting all my crap together for the 5.3 boost build. A guy told me a couple days ago, estimate how much you are going to spend and double it. Yep. He was right. It’s over $400 for main, rod bearings, cam bearings, head gaskets and piston rings. Pistons and rods are a grand. Balancing $175. And a whole bunch of other crap. Should I do a motor build thread?

301 - 320 of 328 Posts