LS1GTO Forums banner

321 - 328 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
Aight. Deal. I’ll create a thread tonight. I’ll list what parts I’m using (ordered some stuff already) and what my intentions are. Also gonna get opinions on some things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Well i guess i'll do a little update to this thread. whew, where do I begin? many changes has happened. The one thing that hasnt changed is it turbo kit is the same. so bear with me because this is a bit of info....
(some of this is in my motor thread)

first off, i pulled the ls1 out. it was a gen 4 motor like i suspected. It was actually an LS6 bottom end. Nice surprise.
So I built a 5.3 with summit Pro LS rods and pistons. melling high pressure pump. Ferrea stainless valves. I did 2.02 intake valves. Yes the clear the bore by a huge amount on the 5.3. I checked it while I had it all apart.

I ceramic coated the manifold and turbo exhaust turbine while it was apart. I did it myself with cerakote, that stuff is awesome! I also wrapped the manifold to keep some heat out the engine compartment.

I sent the torque convertor off and swapped it for a power adder series 3600 like I originally had. I also added a Lingenfelter LNC2000 launch control. I never could build boost on the foot brake, I could only get to 0 inches on vacuum and then it would start doing a burnout. I can now build 3psi on the brake with radials. I havent tried drag radials but on drag radials I can foot brake it 500rpm higher so i know thats gonna help build even more boost.

I put the new engine in the car. Cranked up like it never was apart. Good oil pressure. Blipped the throttle and the oil pressure dropped to 0. Shit. Pulled engine back out. Found the pressure relief valve was jammed open. I had reused my stock pump because it still looked good. O so I thought. the pressure relief valve piston had worn a pattern into the bore and when I took it apart and cleaned it all, the piston (unknowingly to me at the time) was not inserted into the bore at the same position so it got jammed.

so now the engine has been back in the car for a few weeks now. So far, so good. I didnt like the poly motor mounts at first but they seem to be loosening up now. They were pretty rough at first. Car drives perfect. Just isnt getting the fuel mileage I wanted, but I'm working on that. Its pretty dang strong on 14-15 psi i will say. Seems to be a little (maybe 75+hp or so) stronger than the 5.7. I was running 11-12psi on the 5.7. Seems like 15 psi is kinda a sweet spot with this turbo so far. I have 11.8ish in second gear now and when I shift, its at that pressure and then goes to about 14.8psi and its like a 100 shot of nos just kicked in. Good thing is the way I have it all set, its not violent and I pull some timing on the shifts to help everything live and cut the shock down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
I wanted to update this as any problems arise. I’ve gone up again in boost. Now I’m at 18-20psi. I keep blowing the elbow off the throttle body. I’ve done it 4 or 5 times now. No matter how tight it still pops off. It’s a result of a China 92mm throttle body. The lip is has is pretty weak and not sharp, it’s angled which does not help. Here’s a shot of it.



The clamp is wider than groove which isn’t beneficial.



So my fix is chuck the throttle body up in my lathe and cut the groove better.
this ought to fix it.
Notice the groove is deeper, wider and the edge is sharper. I made a .010 cut and the bit chattered because of the imbalance of the throttle body which made some nice grippy grooves. Should be good now.




 

·
Worthless reject member
Joined
·
40,979 Posts
Curious a to the material of the couplers, as well as the type of clamp used.

silicone likes to slip off of stuff. rubber, on the other hand, seems to bond over time. it does suck to remove when you need to, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Curious a to the material of the couplers, as well as the type of clamp used.

silicone likes to slip off of stuff. rubber, on the other hand, seems to bond over time. it does suck to remove when you need to, though.
Its silicone. I havent given it the beans since I did this but i'm sure it did the trick. It barely had a lip before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Guess I forgot to update. This definitely did the trick. I’ve seen over 20 psi and it never popped off again.
 
321 - 328 of 328 Posts
Top