LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think? I took the Filter out of my GTP and installed it right to the MAF. I did have to remove the factory airbox but this will work until something else comes in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What do I think, you just lost a lot of horspower, you'll get more air but it'll all be hot, try buildig an alloy cold air box and putting the pod in that.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
This is starting to turn into the audi board. If you restrict the air (no matter how cold it is) you will not benefit! There are 10 second turbo regals with HOT engine bays that have that filter located in the same spot. I DARE you to pick up a scan tool and scan the IAT's between the cone and the air box..... it will not be some crazy temperature increase.

·
Registered
202 Posts
And ten second anythings run intercoolers to do what? your other problem is thinking the airbox is the major restiction to getting enough air to a stock motor, it isn't Im running 400 at the fly through a stock airbox, high flow filter, an extra 3'' pipe throughh to the cold air shroud and as 100mm MAF to throttle body pipe. These motors "love" cold air and "hate" hot air. In the GTO/monaro/commodore the under bonnet temps are ridiculous.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Lumina ss said:
And ten second anythings run intercoolers to do what? your other problem is thinking the airbox is the major restiction to getting enough air to a stock motor, it isn't Im running 400 at the fly through a stock airbox, high flow filter, an extra 3'' pipe throughh to the cold air shroud and as 100mm MAF to throttle body pipe. These motors "love" cold air and "hate" hot air. In the GTO/monaro/commodore the under bonnet temps are ridiculous.
You are talking like the filter placement is resting on an exhaust manifold. What are you running RWHP? Show me dyno numbers that prove your theory of the colder air... oh wait, the car is not moving when its on the dyno so I guess there are no numbers. But hey.... there is a HP improvment from gaining more air flow. Now tell me where there is a better filter location without cutting into any sheetmetal. There is nothing wrong with speed_demon's setup nor the inductions that are being made here or have been sold in AUS. Yes a baffle blocking around the filter (not restricting) will cause the filter to grab more cooler air from the stock air source, but be honest here ... that will not be a magical 10mph gain in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
202 Posts
dunno in hp figures 228.9rwkw Mate I can only tell you what 6 years of local experience with ls1's in the same engine bay has proved. Wheve fitted everthing from huge frogmouths to pods and pods in sealed boxes. Pods in sealed boxes fed with cold air work great especially on blown cars, but for joe average the standard box with a high flow element and extra hole to the cai is good for 450hp with a maffless tune on an unopened engine. spend your money as you see fit

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Well man ... I dont know about you but 306.96RWHP doesnt mean 400 at the flywheel. Now I know you are in a different part of the world where the air is different so maybe it does make a huge difference. I'm not trying to be a jerk because the car was in AUS awhile longer then here, but we've had LS1 motors here and we have made them fast. I just always see average street cars or full out race cars from down under, nothing that ever is fast for what it is. I have to see these "sealed boxes" to get a better idea of what you have tried. I said I agreed that a baffle or larger 'box' to the side and top of the filter would help a little.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It looks pretty good but I don't think it really qualifies as a CAI (Cold Air Intake). But it is a nice clean open cone intake.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove the car today and in Chicago its only about 30* out. It seems to have more power and its not that loud like it was on my GTP.

I cant wait for the LS1 Speed CAI to arrive at my front door.

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
That does look pretty clean, all you need now is a smooth/larger MAF pipe. But like you said you have a CAI on the way. :thumbs:

And you said you're definately gaining a few HP.. If so.. I wonder if more air is flowing up top through that gap in the hood/nose (be it cool air) than down in the airbox where there's that supposed factory intake. I've seen the Aussies make an induction kit that sits atop the radiator.

My 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a T Byrne MAF ends on it. There is actually more plastic that can come out of the area there. Its the black plastic that sits behind the head light. If it comes out you have more holes in the frame for cold air to come through.

I think that filter need a 45* angle pointing down.

The air box and the coolant overflow just pull off. No tools need to remove them from the car..other then removing the cover of the air box (where the filter goes)

Just give them a gentle pull and they come off.

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
I have a T Byrne MAF ends on it. There is actually more plastic that can come out of the area there. Its the black plastic that sits behind the head light. If it comes out you have more holes in the frame for cold air to come through.

I think that filter need a 45* angle pointing down.

The air box and the coolant overflow just pull off. No tools need to remove them from the car..other then removing the cover of the air box (where the filter goes)

Just give them a gentle pull and they come off.
I ordered those same MAF ends other night myself.. should work great till a specific MAF comes out for our cars. I have a extra Granatelli that I was using, but took it off because of a check engine light (wasnt MAF related though) ..I didn't want to chance another check engine light.

And I see your MAF ends in the pic now that you mentioned them.. looks great! Can't wait to get mine :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is a great idea...at least until the other arrives! I did a K & N cone for my GTP, and ran alum. dryer duct from under the front of the car thru the wheelwell (didn't have to cut anything) and right to my cone, with a baffle. The motor (because it had the supercharger) had a big need for air, and it made a huge difference.

I ran it without the duct and baffle first..and really never noticed a difference in performance. The supercharger whine WAS loud and the cold start-up noise and idle that recirculated before warm up scared the shit out of me beforeI found out what it was!! (sounded like real worn bearings or something bad being sucked in)

So much of the HOT air in the engine bay (and the LS1 makes allot of that) woves through the engine bay and out the bottom/back that as long as your filter is near the front hood slot intake area, I think you will be just fine as is.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to drive my GTP to work tomorrow so all i have to do it loosen up the clamp and stick it back on to the GTP. A 1 minute job.

It feels like it made a difference too. When I go around corners now, I can slide the rear end out. Before I couldnt.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts