LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the tires I'm putting on the Goat. UPS just dropped them off. Dunlop Sport SP9000 tires. 245/40ZR-18 in the front and 275/35ZR-18 in the rear. My wheels have not yet shown up, they are being custom made and it make take a couple more weeks. (Been waiting four weeks already.) I've included a web photo of the wheels at the end so you can guess what they will look like. I picked these tires because they are the most quiet ZR rated tire I've ever heard and they also are excellent in the rain which is important up here in Seattle.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
pretty sweet setup. gotta post pics when its all done. i had the dunlop SP9000s on my GP for awhile. i was really impressed with grip and handling in wet and dry. only thing i didn't like was bad tire wear. but that could have been partially due to my lead foot.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
WOO-HOO!!! Now you are gonna be really itchin' to get those wheels, aren't you??? ;)

Question for those of you who have mounted bigger gumballs (like 275/35-18s in back) and have been running them on the street for a while - how are they working? I know there were some discussions about whether rolling the well was gonna be needed, etc., and concerns about full range of motion in the real world and I'm just curious. I'll be sticking with OEM size for at least the next set (but not KDWSs) because my wife would do mean things to me while I slept but 18 months or so from now I might just change my mind... :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
Question for those of you who have mounted bigger gumballs (like 275/35-18s in back) and have been running them on the street for a while - how are they working? I know there were some discussions about whether rolling the well was gonna be needed, etc., and concerns about full range of motion in the real world and I'm just curious.
I am really interested in this as well. I have been having an e-mail discussion with a Tire Rack representative and they are only going to be offering 8 inch wheels and 245 width... I really didn't want to just settle for 255's out back. Any real life information would be great.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MattSaint said:
I am really interested in this as well. I have been having an e-mail discussion with a Tire Rack representative and they are only going to be offering 8 inch wheels and 245 width... I really didn't want to just settle for 255's out back. Any real life information would be great.
I will certainly let everybody know as soon as I can get them on my car. Believe me, I hope it's soon. Todd at Discount Tire assures me absolutely that there will be no rubbing.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
1COOLPC said:
I will certainly let everybody know as soon as I can get them on my car. Believe me, I hope it's soon. Todd at Discount Tire assures me absolutely that there will be no rubbing.
hope Todd is givin you a money back gaurantee

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure he will, it's company policy for them and he is a nice guy that gave me his word. But I will do what it takes to get these to fit. I saw photos of the same size wheel and tire on a black GTO they had at the shop and he determined an optimal offset that will allow them to mount without rubbing. They installed them on the car and drove it without problem so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That was my car in the photos. I wish it looked that good all the time. Todd is very professional and seemed very determined to get accurate dimensions to make sure everything would fit when the orders started comming in.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
darkitec said:
That was my car in the photos. I wish it looked that good all the time. Todd is very professional and seemed very determined to get accurate dimensions to make sure everything would fit when the orders started comming in.

Very cool. Your car looks great with those Smoothies. How do you like them so far? Do they rub any? I have the same size tires/wheels as you do exactly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm still running the stock wheels right now. I provided my car for fitment and photos.

I'm still undecided on what wheels and tire's ultimately I'm going end up using.
In addition, I'm remodeling 2 homes right now, so spending money on wheels isn't high on the priority list.

Cags iliminator (purchased this week) and Clunk in the Trunk are the only changes I'm making for the moment

·
Registered
98 Posts
1COOLPC said:

You get pics of these on your car yet?

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GTOsoon said:
You get pics of these on your car yet?
Pff.. Some wheel mishaps with the manufacturing. I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever get them. Going on 6 weeks now. It's not Todd's fault, and he is taking care of me on the cost, but it has been one silly mistake after another. It's just my luck. They tell me things will be finished on Tuesday but we shall see. Todd has been great and things happen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1COOLPC said:
Pff.. Some wheel mishaps with the manufacturing. I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever get them. Going on 6 weeks now. It's not Todd's fault, and he is taking care of me on the cost, but it has been one silly mistake after another. It's just my luck. They tell me things will be finished on Tuesday but we shall see. Todd has been great and things happen.
Well I hope things go well. Cant wait to see what they look like. Should look really good. :thumbs:

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
I had Dunlop SP Sport 5000 (at least I think the number was 5000) 245/45 ZR17's on my old Mustang GT. They were very good tires as far as wear and traction in inclimate weather (other than snow obviously). My only problems with them were that they were a tad pricey (mine were $160/tire) and I'm sure yours are more than that, and they seemed to wear a little funny, so you might want to keep your eye on that. I had my car aligned so many times because the inside of the tire kept getting worn more quickly, and we could never figure out why.

You're right about the noise level, the Dunlops are one of the quietest Z-rated tires I've ever experienced :)

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GTOsoon said:
A 245/40/18 should have the same height as a 245/45/17 I think.
Correct, no chane in diameter at all.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here they are mounted. Waiting on my special lug nuts now. I did a test fitting and I will need to have my fender lips rolled. Calling the body shop tomorrow. Will most likely require some paint work. Not sure why they are rubbing just yet though, they were not supposed to be rubbing. I question if the correct offset was applied.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
welcome to my hell....

you have no idea what i have been thru for my freaking wheels. I will post something soon about my entire adventure, they are finally on the car.

FYI, you might want to make sure the insides are not rubbing either when sharp turning ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts