LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new here, but not to the LS1 world.
I'm installing my heads/cam setup this weekend, and am curious what it should do.
I've got an M6, btw.
K&N FIPK
Patriot Stage 2 heads
Crane 230/228 111 LSA
SLP thermo
Full open exhaust through stock manifolds(Don't like the header choices now)
Ported TB
TB bypass mod
I'm hoping for somewhere in the 380 range, 390-395 with headers.
Sound about right?
Thanks!
Sam

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Geez, a bunch of views, and no one wants to guess?
;)
I have an idea, based on my F-body experience, but don't know enough about the driveline losses in the GTO to be sure.
Beuller?! Beuller?!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
Geez, a bunch of views, and no one wants to guess?
;)
I have an idea, based on my F-body experience, but don't know enough about the driveline losses in the GTO to be sure.
Beuller?! Beuller?!
My first thought when I read your post was, what do you mean you don't "like" the headers that are out there? Not much point in opening everything else up if you leave the stock manifolds, that's what I think...

My plan is headers and exhaust and THEN go nuts on everything else...

Oh, and you'll definitely need that setup dyno tuned to make optimum power.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I added Stainless Works Long tube headers w/o cats Speed inc Intake, wires and plugs and picked up 44 RWHP.

And I still want more...

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phobos512 said:
My first thought when I read your post was, what do you mean you don't "like" the headers that are out there? Not much point in opening everything else up if you leave the stock manifolds, that's what I think...

My plan is headers and exhaust and THEN go nuts on everything else...

Oh, and you'll definitely need that setup dyno tuned to make optimum power.
A tune will be next week, as far as headers, I don't think the JBA shorties will help much, and the Stainless Works are a bit pricey for me for what you get. I may have some custom ones made locally. For the time being, I'm having 2 1/2 mandrel bent duals bent from the collectors back, no cats or mufflers.
;)

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I couldn't imagine custom built headers being cheaper then $900. suprise me if its possible.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
A tune will be next week, as far as headers, I don't think the JBA shorties will help much, and the Stainless Works are a bit pricey for me for what you get. I may have some custom ones made locally. For the time being, I'm having 2 1/2 mandrel bent duals bent from the collectors back, no cats or mufflers.
;)
so custom headers will be cheaper than mass production ones??? thats crazy.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
My friend has a mandrel bending machine in his shop, if I pay for materials, and we think they are profitable, we may sell 'em.
;)

well i hope it works out for you. but i think you are gonna have a heck of time getting people to buy "bobs headers". ya know what i mean? the JBAs and SSs are tested and proven.

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you don't think a long tube header design that doesn't require you to drop the steering rack would be a good thing?
;)
Do a search on ls1.com or camaroz28.com for SAM98TAM6, my old car was one of the better known cars on the 'net, they still use the pics on the DynoMaxx website, and you can buy the poster of it over at www.ls1speed.com . :) I don't think I'd have any issues selling headers or exhaust parts.
:)
Still waiting for anyone's guess on my setup, I'll dyno in a week or so, just wanted some other input.
:eek2:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My guess is that your guess is right on target. Our cam specs are very similar and FATCYAT(another forum member) did heads and cam through a completely stock exhaust and a K&N filter and put down 375rwhp.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Sam 04 GTO, sorry but you are wrong about headers. You havnt tried it yet. I had custom headers made for my car and they worked out well but would be crazy for mass production. With the location of the steering rack and clearances you WILL NOT beable to make a header that will install without dropping the rack (that does not have seperate pipes that slip fit). Your talking about custom headers, whats the big deal with dropping the rack a little bit.

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug-Thanks for the info.

DY-Never said it was a big deal, I just wanted to see if there was a better way to do it. Nothing wrong with that.
;)
If not, no biggie, hopefully SLP or someone will bring another set to market, bringing prices down, which is better for all of us.
:D
Is the rack easy to remove on these cars, BTW?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
Doug-Thanks for the info.

DY-Never said it was a big deal, I just wanted to see if there was a better way to do it. Nothing wrong with that.
;)
If not, no biggie, hopefully SLP or someone will bring another set to market, bringing prices down, which is better for all of us.
:D
Is the rack easy to remove on these cars, BTW?
SLP is gonna have midlength headers out eventually. but they will be close to a $1K

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTOdriver7 said:
SLP is gonna have midlength headers out eventually. but they will close to a $1K
Doh!
:banghead:
May have to reconsider those Stainless Works ones...... I was hoping SLP would bring a set out w/o cats for around 600-700.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
SLP's mid length's will be released in 5-6 weeks. I have all the pricing info, but I'm not supposed to release it just yet. It will be very very affordable.

I know most people here aren't big advocates of SLP stuff because they are pricier than most but I really like there products. Service I get is always outstanding, and the performance #'s have been dead on. I think there new heads are the funk. They aren't updated on the website but they are:
64cc cambers giving
10.7:1 comp ratio
2.08"/1.60" stainless steel valves
multi-angle valve job
bronze valve guides
Heavy duty dual valve springs & titanium retainers
and their cam which is the same in the last kit.

It is now called the SLP 500 kit as opposed to the SLP 485HP kit. I'll have dyno numbers by mid week next week.

Dougie out!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
gtodoug said:
SLP's mid length's will be released in 5-6 weeks. I have all the pricing info, but I'm not supposed to release it just yet. It will be very very affordable.

I know most people here aren't big advocates of SLP stuff because they are pricier than most but I really like there products. Service I get is always outstanding, and the performance #'s have been dead on. I think there new heads are the funk. They aren't updated on the website but they are:
64cc cambers giving
10.7:1 comp ratio
2.08"/1.60" stainless steel valves
multi-angle valve job
bronze valve guides
Heavy duty dual valve springs & titanium retainers
and their cam which is the same in the last kit.

It is now called the SLP 500 kit as opposed to the SLP 485HP kit. I'll have dyno numbers by mid week next week.

Dougie out!!
well i know that they have an add in the newest HPP with their headers. priced at $939.95. so thats no secret.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts