LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for several days to find the right wheels & tires for my Quicksilver GTO...My goal is to fatten up the stance of the GTO with a nice, wide wheel lip and enough offset to bring all 4 tires right to the edge of the fender lip...I have found a set that I like, but wanted to run the sizes by you guys:

Front:
17 x 8" Privat Kraftwerk wheel with 35mm offset
245/45/ZR-17 Nitto 555 Extreme Performance

Rear:
17 x 8" Privat Kraftwerk wheel with 35mm offset
275/40/ZR-17 Nitto 555 Extreme Performance

Will I have trouble with the 275 tire and 13mm additional offset from stock? The 275 tire is said to be 1.18" wider than the 245...plus the wheel offset.

Will I most likely need to roll the fender lips? If so, could this be avoided by sticking with 245 in the rear?

Please chime in with your thoughts and/or ideas... :)

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Will I have trouble with the 275 tire and 13mm additional offset from stock? The 275 tire is said to be 1.18" wider than the 245...plus the wheel offset. Will I most likely need to roll the fender lips? If so, could this be avoided by sticking with 245 in the rear?

Please chime in with your thoughts and/or ideas... :)
Hmmm... I really don't think the 35mm offset will work front or rear. And while some have managed to mount 275's on 8" rims, it's really not recommended.

You can go wider in the rear with fender rolling as I have.

I do like the rims, and you may like mine since they both have a wide lip - 19x8 and 19x9.5 TSW Thruxtons that you can also get in 18x8 and 18x9.5. The TSWs come in 40mm front and 45mm rear offsets (check out www.bigwheels.net ). The rears fit with fender rolling and mounted with 265/30's.

Padre

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Excellent wheel web site! Glad you turned me on to it, 'cause I saw the TSW Kyalami and am quite fond of it...It provides a unique look on a GTO, but is similar to the late Camaro SS 10-spoke wheel...ahhhh. What do you think? Love the fat lip and the nice center cap with hidden lug nuts :)

The Catalunya is also very nice...check it out. Compare it to the Kyalami, and which looks best for the GTO?

·
8,959 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Excellent wheel web site! Glad you turned me on to it, 'cause I saw the TSW Kyalami and am quite fond of it...It provides a unique look on a GTO, but is similar to the late Camaro SS 10-spoke wheel...ahhhh. What do you think? Love the fat lip and the nice center cap with hidden lug nuts :)
Yep, I like those too. The 40mm offset on the 17x8 Kyalami ought to fit fine. I'm still hesitant about 275/40's in the rear, but 245/45's all around should do fine. And you really can't beat the price on those TSWs. :)

Padre

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The price sure is right...But, I checked bigwheels pricing against discount tire direct, and discount is $220 cheaper for the set...$1412 is the grand total for 18 x 8 TSW Kyalamis and the Nitto Extreme ZRs in 245/40/18 all the way around, balanced and shipped to my door.

Now, can I pass up that kind of deal for a set of 18s? :rolleyes:

I was also thinking of the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S tires as they are very well rated, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere...plus they are $30 more per tire.

Please provide opinions or comments on the wheels & tires for me...thanky!

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can I do a 18 x 9" wheel with a 35mm offset and a stock sized 245/40/18 tire on the rear??

I went out to the garage and measured the rear wheel well opening as it relates to the stock tire position. It looks to me like the setup needs approximately 1/2" to 1" of "outward movement" to fill up the wheel well and bring the outermost surface of the tire's sidewall flush with the fender lip...(I usually install 1"-1.5" billet wheel spacers on my vehicles if I want to keep the stock rims, but widen the stance)...works like a charm, however, I am not too keen on the stock GTO rims.

A wheel with a 35mm offset has 13mm more outward movement than the stock 48mm offset. That 13mm difference equates to about 1/2", and when added to the 1/2" you'll see by using a 9" wheel instead of the stock 8", you get 1" of total outward movement from the stock setup...Is this tooooo much? If it will fit with minor fender lip rolling, I'm going to do it...As far as the "inner" side goes, the new tire sill sit exactly where the stock tire sits, because the 1/2" of outward movement is negated by the 1/2" increase in rim width per side...

Imagine how nicely 18 x 9" rims & fat tires would fill up the rear and widen the stance where this car (an every other American car) needs help the most... :zzz:

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
You need at least a 48mm offset on the rear to run a 9" wide wheel according to the charts i've seen.

·
8,959 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Can I do a 18 x 9" wheel with a 35mm offset and a stock sized 245/40/18 tire on the rear??
With fender rolling maybe, but definitely not up front.

I can only offer my experience: my 19x9.5 TSW's with 45mm offset rubbed with 265/30 tires. After fender rolling, they fit.

Padre

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Quicksilver said:
If it will fit with minor fender lip rolling, I'm going to do it...
Replace the word "minor" with MAJOR, and you're in...major fender rolling.

I think a wheel/tire that stuck out that much would be too much, the rear valance and quarters roll in/down so much that a ton of rear tire would be showing and you'd be throwing everything up on that car back there.

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You bring up some very good concerns, my friend...stick with stock configuration and be happy...will do!

Now, please help me decide between the TSW Kyalami or the Catalunya...

also, 17 x 8" or 18 x 8" ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quicksilver said:
The price sure is right...But, I checked bigwheels pricing against discount tire direct, and discount is $220 cheaper for the set...$1412 is the grand total for 18 x 8 TSW Kyalamis and the Nitto Extreme ZRs in 245/40/18 all the way around, balanced and shipped to my door.

Now, can I pass up that kind of deal for a set of 18s? :rolleyes:

I was also thinking of the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S tires as they are very well rated, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere...plus they are $30 more per tire.

Please provide opinions or comments on the wheels & tires for me...thanky!
Going directly to a local Discount Tire store should save you over their online prices. They took 15% off the online price installed with very little effort.

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jetboy said:
Going directly to a local Discount Tire store should save you over their online prices. They took 15% off the online price installed with very little effort.
www.discounttiredirect.com has lower final prices than www.discounttire.com . Discount tire direct will send the mounted & balanced wheels/tires to your door (Free ground shipping & No sales tax), where the regular discount tire site helps you coordinate the install with the local shop (where you will be charged for installation & sales tax!)...Plus, you see many more choices on discounttiredirect, because the regular site only shows what is available in your local area :zzz: I just did a price comparison - discount direct is $131.93 cheaper for the exact same package ($1319.93 -vs- $1188.00). Also, the regular discount site doesn't even show the tires I want as being available in the Chicago area. They only have 10 choices, where direct has 33!

The only drawback of not going to the local shop is that I have to install my own wheels & tires...booo-hooo. But, if I can't install my own wheels & tires after they've been assembled & balanced by professionals, then maybe I shouldn't be driving a GTO :rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you go through Discount Tire Direct talk to Dave at ext.418. He knows his stuff.

They usually ship the same day that you place the order. I think they'll ship out of Ohio for Chi-town...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts